• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should Detective 27 supplant Action 1 in Overstreet based on recent sales?

61 posts in this topic

I say yes. A book is worth what it can be sold for. An 8.0 Tec 27 just brought SIGNIFICANTLY more than an Action 1 in the same grade. The market changes over time. Heck, Marvel 1 was the top book in the hobby for several years, and not that long ago. I say Detective 27's time has come. The Batman character has become more pervasive in the popular culture than Supes in recent years, "Smallville" notwithstanding. Bats' success on the big screen is illustrative of this sea change. Batman seems more a character for these times, IMO. He's darker, more somber and more flawed than Supes. He can't solve every problem effortlessly. So here's a vote for Tec 27 being recognized as the new top book in our hobby. (My position on this issue has nothing to do with the fact that I have a Tec 27, but no Action 1.)

There is no higher CGC grade Tec #27, there IS a higher CGC graded Action #1.

Highest graded Tec #27 beat out the second highest graded Action #1.

Apples to Oranges?

Both are amazing books that i would love to own, but action 1, generally outsells tec 27. sale for sale, I think action 1 wins. Don't get me wrong, I think guide is out of whack on both.

It will not happen in Overstreet next year.Action 1 will still be on top for 2 reasons.Overstreet always moved very slowly pricewise even to record sales.Action 1 had enough of a lead last year to not be overtaken this year.

2nd, the increments of 1 million to 1,075,000.00 for the tec 27 is very small compared to the number as a whole.Weather you agree with me or not ,one thing im sure of is Action 1 will be on top next year in overstreet and I think thats what the hobby wants.

overstreets numbers are all made up anyways so sure let's have detective 27 in front, let's have action 1 in front, what does it matter? And let's have strawberry shortcake #1 in fine be #3.

The way I feel is:

First, I am a huge Batman fan and he is my number one favorite superhero ever. Tec 27 is my favorite book. ever. It is in my eyes the best book to own.

But

Action 1 and Superman came FIRST. W/o superman there would be nothing. It deserves and should remain 1st in my opinion. Action 1 should never fall from its top position if I had a say.

It just feels right to me that it should be classified as the most valuable book of all.

There is no higher CGC grade Tec #27, there IS a higher CGC graded Action #1.

Highest graded Tec #27 beat out the second highest graded Action #1.

Apples to Oranges?

FACT

The way I feel is:

First, I am a huge Batman fan and he is my number one favorite superhero ever. Tec 27 is my favorite book. ever. It is in my eyes the best book to own.

But

Action 1 and Superman came FIRST. W/o superman there would be nothing. It deserves and should remain 1st in my opinion. Action 1 should never fall from its top position if I had a say.

It just feels right to me that it should be classified as the most valuable book of all.

You said that so well with well founded thought.

Also would I mind seeing Tec 27 being first? NOT AT ALL, I would love it.

But for the sake of the history and the beginning and everthing that is Action 1 - I believe it should be the #1 most valuable forever. (And maybe Tec 27 a very super close 2nd :wishluck: forever - even Tec 27 might fall from #2 nothing is certain)

The way I feel is:

But

You said that so well with well founded thought.

Thanks. (thumbs u

An Overstreet change may never happen.

Action #1 is the first - the beginning of the Golden Age - the Super Hero. It's about as "key" as it gets... but do people like Batman better? Eventually that would give Detective #27 the push it needs to get past the Action #1. It's hard to really apply demand to the topic since both are only available in small numbers and only to very few people with that kind of money, but I think Batman is higher on most peoples want list over Superman.

If a copy in identical grade were offered to me for each book, and I could only choose one with the stipulation of never being able to sell it (taking away any monetary motivation). I'd take the Detective.

I say yes. A book is worth what it can be sold for. An 8.0 Tec 27 just brought SIGNIFICANTLY more than an Action 1 in the same grade. The market changes over time. Heck, Marvel 1 was the top book in the hobby for several years, and not that long ago. I say Detective 27's time has come. The Batman character has become more pervasive in the popular culture than Supes in recent years, "Smallville" notwithstanding. Bats' success on the big screen is illustrative of this sea change. Batman seems more a character for these times, IMO. He's darker, more somber and more flawed than Supes. He can't solve every problem effortlessly. So here's a vote for Tec 27 being recognized as the new top book in our hobby. (My position on this issue has nothing to do with the fact that I have a Tec 27, but no Action 1.)

One transaction does not a change make. A trend is needed. If we see more follow-up transactions where grade for grade Tec 27s are selling for more than Action 1s, then that might cause Bob to make a change. But not just based on a one-time event.

Remember that the Price Guide is just that, a price guide. It's not a real time market exchange that automatically reflects the latest transaction. Nor should it, in my opinion.

But for the sake of the history and the beginning and everthing that is Action 1 - I believe it should be the #1 most valuable forever. (And maybe Tec 27 a very super close 2nd :wishluck: forever - even Tec 27 might fall from #2 nothing is certain)

Price is a combination of many factors, including historical significance, but also scarcity and demand.

FF 1 came first and is the beginning of the Marvel universe. Spiderman wasn't even 2nd or 3rd. To Old School Marvel collectors, FF 1 will always be THE book. But the reality is that AF 15 blew past FF 1 a long time ago, in the actual market and in the guide. Even though FF 1 is harder to find grade for grade than AF 15, demand for AF 15 trumps FF 1's limited supply.

It will not happen in Overstreet next year.Action 1 will still be on top for 2 reasons.Overstreet always moved very slowly pricewise even to record sales.Action 1 had enough of a lead last year to not be overtaken this year.

2nd, the increments of 1 million to 1,075,000.00 for the tec 27 is very small compared to the number as a whole.Weather you agree with me or not ,one thing im sure of is Action 1 will be on top next year in overstreet and I think thats what the hobby wants.

Not to mention the 2011 guide is probably complete pricing wise. We submitted our pricing changes months ago. It normally ships in April, and although the release is timed with SDCC this year, I have no reason to expect their editorial timeline has shifted all that much. So it is unlikely that these two very recent sales could be included even if Bob wanted to. But it is possible.

If you refer to my, brief, market report in last year's Overstreet you will see that my closing recommendation was that the time for the $1,000,000 comics was upon us and indicated that Action #1 should be listed as such in the guide for 2010. Once in a great while I make a prediction, and in rare instances they are correct.

:acclaim:

Price is a combination of many factors, including historical significance, but also scarcity and demand.

FF 1 came first and is the beginning of the Marvel universe. Spiderman wasn't even 2nd or 3rd. To Old School Marvel collectors, FF 1 will always be THE book. But the reality is that AF 15 blew past FF 1 a long time ago, in the actual market and in the guide. Even though FF 1 is harder to find grade for grade than AF 15, demand for AF 15 trumps FF 1's limited supply.

This is well stated and I completely agree. For the time being, Action #1 is still the undisputed King. :cool:

One transaction does not a change make. A trend is needed. If we see more follow-up transactions where grade for grade Tec 27s are selling for more than Action 1s, then that might cause Bob to make a change. But not just based on a one-time event.

Remember that the Price Guide is just that, a price guide. It's not a real time market exchange that automatically reflects the latest transaction. Nor should it, in my opinion.

Even so, I think Bob will make the change to reflect Tec 27's actual value only after he's purchased as many copies as he can afford.