• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MOTOR CITY COMIC CON, May 14-16, Novi, MI.

119 posts in this topic

Looking forward to this show - will be my first time there.

You going all three days Michael?

Yep - crashing with my sister in Ann Arbor for the weekend.

I used to like you.

Will there be a boardie get together?

There was a terrific costume party last year on Sat nite but I don't see anything planned in the events section this year.

Will there be a boardie get together?

There was a terrific costume party last year on Sat nite but I don't see anything planned in the events section this year.

You should be able to find Roy at The Flight Club every night in Romulus. :ohnoez:

hm

go every year! can't wait. I buy 1 key book a year at this show.

looking for a low grade avengers #4 this year. any advice?

What sellers to stay away from or which sellers to check first?

Looking for advice. Making it a family trip. Where to stay with a 7 year old and 2 year old. Also looking for a good mall for the wife.

Someone mentioned Troy, but would like to be closer.

Any help appreciated

There are plenty of places to shop just down the street from the show. 12 Oaks Mall is there as well as West Oaks, which is newer. There's even more shopping on the south side of I-96. Troy has Somerset, which is newer and nicer. By freeway, it's a good 30+ minutes from Rock Showplace.

There are several hotels within just a few miles of the show as well. I don't know if any are more kid friendly than others.

For the kids, the Detroit Zoo is actually pretty nice. It right off I-696, about 20 minutes east of the show. It is in Royal Oak, not Detroit. Greenfield Village and The Henry Ford Museum is in Dearborn, probably 40 minutes away. The Detroit Science center is downtown, bur kids enjoy it for an hour ar two. There are a few indoor playgrounds not too far from there as well. There are several movie theaters in the area as well.

There are restaurants galore within 2-3 miles from Rock, most of the ones I can think of are chains though- Olive Garden, BW3, Fridays, Red Robin, Famous Daves, Hooters. There's at least one good Sushi Place in West Oaks. There is also a bar restaurant that has a huge video game room/play room for kids. I'm pretty sure kids can go there, at least.

The Red Sox are also in town that Friday-Sun playing the Tigers. Comerica is about 40 minutes from Novi. All Freeway driving.

Let me know if you're looking for other things. I know the area pretty well.

Looking for advice. Making it a family trip. Where to stay with a 7 year old and 2 year old. Also looking for a good mall for the wife.

Any help appreciated

Andre: Get a room at the Staybridges Suites. It's the closest hotel to the convention, and it is my kids favourite hotel in the world. Novi is clean and safe, and there is enough shopping and eateries right in a 2-3 kilometre zone.

Jim

Any help appreciated

Andre: Get a room at the Staybridges Suites. It's the closest hotel to the convention, and it is my kids favourite hotel in the world. Novi is clean and safe, and there is enough shopping and eateries right in a 2-3 kilometre zone.

Jim

I concur. Staybridge suites is a very nice hotel and is rated #1 by trip advisor for the Novi Area. I put my wife and two kids up there one nite while I hosted poker nite with the buds -- they liked it.

Twelve Oaks is a great "down to earth mall". Has all the well known stores you could ask for. My family and I shop there regularly. Somerset in Troy has the more "upscale" shopping in the area, but as someone has mentioned is a good 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic. Twelve Oaks - 5 minutes tops. Guess it depends on how much you want your wife to spend while you're spending at the show!

Of course, if you go to Somerset take I-75 so you can exit at Exit 69, Big Beaver Rd. God bless whoever came up with that combo.

Jerry

I remember when they opened that mall. There was nothing around it for miles. No one could figure out why they would build a mall in the middle of nowhere.

Now look at that area! As the saying goes "build it and they will come..."