• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What? A new comic store opening? in THIS economy?

98 posts in this topic

I love your store! What a great selection of comics and action figures. Is that a M.A.S.K. racing set I saw behind the counter? If it is, does it work? I've owned a handful of them and none of them worked.

I got about 50 genesis games in there including MUSHA, TMNT hyperstone and ofcourse MICHAEL JACKSON MOONWALKER.

Miracleman #15 is 9.8

the MASK set DOES work, and is complete. I played with it when i bought it actually. Good eye on that picture!

And i really appreciate all the well wishing guys (and girls). Its been hard putting this together - but the numbers worked, especially the lease. Out of the 45 retail locations in my town, 16 were for rent. The landlord took this into account and i got the place for pennies compared to the $2,000 for 750 sq ft. that others were trying to get. I am paying under a dollar a square foot for my place, per month. The fixtures/slatwall/retail counter/showcases were all obtained via craigslist at insanely low prices. With all the companies going out of business, they essentially "gave" away all their stuff. I guess since i had a few bucks saved i struck when the iron was hot, as they say.

the MASK set DOES work, and is complete. I played with it when i bought it actually. Good eye on that picture!

That's a rare set to find in working condition. I'm sort of a MASK 'historian' when it comes to everything invovling the toy line. I've searched out cases, prototypes, unearthed facts regarding unreleased vehicles(Shark, Thunderball, etc.) by speaking with ex-Kenner employees. I used to be obssesed with that toy line.

If you ever have any questions about the MASK line you know who to get in touch with. lol

BTW, your GI Joe MOC collection is very impressive, you have a nice assortment of some of my favorite figures.

I heart your store. :cloud9:

Its been hard putting this together - but the numbers worked, especially the lease. Out of the 45 retail locations in my town, 16 were for rent. The landlord took this into account and i got the place for pennies compared to the $2,000 for 750 sq ft. that others were trying to get. I am paying under a dollar a square foot for my place, per month.

Very cool! That's how it's supposed to work in a recession and it's good for everyone.

I actually heard of a dead mall about twenty minutes south of me that was offering 12,000 sq feet for $4000 a month! Perfect if you want a retail front end and have a giant warehouse operation in the back. I imagine downtown Berkeley (despite a lot of vacancies) is still 1.50 to 2.00 a sq ft.

Btw, you might try doing Craigslist for cities up to a few hours away, suggesting road trips to see your fresh stock in all your different product lines. I'd be very interested to hear how that could work out and how much out-of-area business you could draw.

I had a great talk with Googawhatever yesterday about the old days where he'd travel to all the Boston area stores on Sundays, like a 3-4 hour swing.

"Googamooga" - jeeze, Marc. Mooga has three less characters than "whatever". ::sigh::

Actually more than 3-4 hours in recollection. More like a whole day - say 10-6. But hit a lot of stores and made a lot of contacts back then doing that. Good fun.

Marc, best of luck. If I can I'll try to swing by someday. (thumbs u

I notice that your outdoor signs mention "Auction". Are you taking back issues on consignment and auctioning them on ebay? Just curious how that fits into the mix.