• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacific Coast Structure Q's?

40 posts in this topic

i wished i would have looked on comiclink a little early because almost all of those pacific coast have been bought but i did buy one ff. here is a question if anybody can help out? on the old cgc labels the pcs had the sticker on the top left of the slab and i saw the new labels the sticker is not there,do they put it on the back or anywhere else on the slab? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

here is a question if anybody can help out? on the old cgc labels the pcs had the sticker on the top left of the slab and i saw the new labels the sticker is not there,do they put it on the back or anywhere else on the slab? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm pretty sure it's PCE, and not CGC, that put the stickers on. After PCE directly submitted PC books to CGC and got them back, it would put the sticker on the slab--a little branding exercise. PCE would also put the sticker on the mylar of raw PCs. If a PC book was not submitted by PCE, there will not be a sticker.

Here is my first attempt at uploading a scan. It is the Pacific Coast copy of FF12. The book has, shall we say, a few "affordability" flaws. The right edge has a small chip and two prechips, and the bottom edge has a prechip. Although probably not visible on the scan, there is minor spine roll (gotta pick up some cinder blocks soon....). This is one of a handful of early Marvel keys from the collection that is an excellent but not exceptional copy.

Here goes:

391024-FF12.jpg.47dd6e4baa6dd36469a1d8f11366e2a0.jpg

Thanks, Joe (I think). Can you explain for me how you copied the attachment into the body of your post (without mistakenly assuming I purchased this book recently as an investor, rather than from PCE years ago when it was first offered for sale)?

Just click on image in the UBB codes and paste the URL of the image into the pop-up box that appears.

The URL is the web address of the page and should start "http://" and end in ".jpg".

hi.gif

RR kept the best DC for himself. I have seen copies with pulled staples, the OO had them kept packed pretty tightly. Buy all that you can from PC collection, yummy investment, and I have always AT LEAST tripled my money on ANYTHING I have bought from RR/PCE. ANDREWWWWWWWWW!!! GO GET MY HOT PAD AND ORANGE JUICE!

RR kept the best DC for himself.

That's what I had always heard, but if that's the case why the weird choices in which DCs he's chosen to slab, and also which ones he's put on the market? For instance, he's only slabbed one PC Aquaman, #1 (logical enough). The only slabbed PC Flash are #137 and Annual #1. Not exactly the first issues I would have thought of slabbing. No Atoms, GLs, early JLAs or early Showcases or B&Bs, not even one issue from each which he could then tantalize us with an asking price of one bazillion dollars (like he's asking for the Aquaman 1 and Flash 137). I believe most of the PC JLAs that have come on the market did not come through RR.

So the logical guess might then be that the few that he's slabbed and kept are doubles. Even there, there's no discernible pattern. He put up an unslabbed JLA 24 on eBay (which CGC later graded as a 9.8), because as he told me later it was a double. But he also told me that the double was much lower grade, maybe VF/NM if I recall correctly. He clearly knew the #24 was of much higher grade, given that he listed it on eBay as a NM+++++++ or something like that.

Perhaps the answer is that there is no logic behind any of this. At least one major dealer has told me to stop trying to figure RR out, because better minds have tried and failed.

I'm almost positive that every book the original PC owner purchased

from the newstand/stationery store/drug store, etc. was purposely

selected so as not to have a mis-cut, mis-wrap, distributor stripe, etc., etc.

I've never seen a PC book (and I have owned, and still own, a lot) that wasn't an

almost perfect cut.

Looks like the OO got a little sloppier when he got older. Actually, if the PC books on Comiclink are any indication, it looks like the guy's standards slid a lot as he got older. Amazing, he was fanatical about condition when no one else cared about careful preservation, and then became much more casual about it just as everyone else started getting more uptight about it.