• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Leaf Casting experiment

23 posts in this topic

Well as you can imagine I am really excited. This is hot out of the press, scanned and delivered to you as I can't wait to share this. This is probably the most exciting experiment I have done so far and I am already did a bigger one while this one was drying which I will be sharing very soon.

My main focus with this experiment was just the mechanics of leaf casting. The alignment wasn’t perfect and the excess trimmed off isn't perfect either but I am still really happy with it. I even forgot to wipe the loose stray fibers before the pic but oh well. Ok enough talk and time to show the work.

Before I got started.

DSC02265.jpg

After paper dried.

DSC02259.jpg

After pressing.

DSC02261.jpg

After trimming excess off.

DSC02262.jpg

DSC02263.jpg

By the way, if you keep this up, Kenny is going to start referring to you as "Mini Me." :roflmao:

Oh the crow that would be on the menu. My side may split open. :roflmao:

WOW! Very nice color match

Ditto.

What did you use for the slurry?

Probably vintage comic book paper. Maybe with some japan paper mixed for strenght.

That's how I would have done interior pages hm:grin:

Mike, I ALWAYS enjoy seeing the work you do here. It's really neat to follow your growth as an amateur (and I use that lightly) ephemera conservator and you're really in the right place to try this with salted vets here to guide you and provide feedback.

Seriously, nice work. You have a bunch of comics you'll be able to maintain for a much longer period of time and THAT is a cool thing.

(thumbs u

Mike, I ALWAYS enjoy seeing the work you do here. It's really neat to follow your growth as an amateur (and I use that lightly) ephemera conservator and you're really in the right place to try this with salted vets here to guide you and provide feedback.

Seriously, nice work. You have a bunch of comics you'll be able to maintain for a much longer period of time and THAT is a cool thing.

(thumbs u

Remember where he started? The growth has been tremendous. And all of the credit goes to Mike for taking some oftentimes harsh criticism with a level head. Even when he has screwed up, I really get the sense that he is eager to learn and that is great.

(thumbs u

Remember where he started? The growth has been tremendous. And all of the credit goes to Mike for taking some oftentimes harsh criticism with a level head. Even when he has screwed up, I really get the sense that he is eager to learn and that is great.

:cloud9: For the first time I am speechless......

(thumbs u

:cloud9: For the first time I am speechless......

Just keep on learning and remember that patience is a virtue. It will lead to true expertise in the long run, even though it may not be as immediately gratifying as it might be if you learn a little about a million different things at once, while mastering none of them.

That is good work and the whole process is very intersting. I think there's a good argument to be made for NOT filling in the art for the time being. Esp when not little art is missing.

If you know the art is filled in, the tendency is to presume the art is mostly unoriginal (look at how people judge books with a spec of color touch as equivalent to books with an entire logo recreated).

If the art is NOT filled in then you can clearly see how much of the original is still there and how it's not about making it look original but about preservinvg the art that remains.

Ditto.

Probably vintage comic book paper. Maybe with some japan paper mixed for strenght.

You would think that, but typically the older the paper you are casting, or the donor material you are using is... the properties that lend themselves to Hydrogen bonding sinply are not present once the paper has begun to break down.

Basically,old, broken down newsprint is just that, acidic, old and broken down. And you need to introduce some form of newer paper where the hemi cellulose strands are open to the idea of bonding again. Which can often times mean it does match old..broken down newsprint.

In a perfect world you would find vintage paper that matched color and texture to the item you are casting, but as everyone knows..the world is far from perfect.

That is good work and the whole process is very intersting. I think there's a good argument to be made for NOT filling in the art for the time being. Esp when not little art is missing.

If you know the art is filled in, the tendency is to presume the art is mostly unoriginal (look at how people judge books with a spec of color touch as equivalent to books with an entire logo recreated).

If the art is NOT filled in then you can clearly see how much of the original is still there and how it's not about making it look original but about preservinvg the art that remains.

Thanks for your input and insight, these are the things I like to here in order to tailor myself to what people want. I try to be a man of the people. :)

btw, Congrats Mike. Glad to finally see somebody else publish their Leaf Casting results. I know you have been trying for awhile with mixed results.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

(thumbs u

Ditto.

You would think that, but typically the older the paper you are casting, or the donor material you are using is... the properties that lend themselves to Hydrogen bonding sinply are not present once the paper has begun to break down.

Basically,old, broken down newsprint is just that, acidic, old and broken down. And you need to introduce some form of newer paper where the hemi cellulose strands are open to the idea of bonding again. Which can often times mean it does match old..broken down newsprint.

In a perfect world you would find vintage paper that matched color and texture to the item you are casting, but as everyone knows..the world is far from perfect.

First off, this is really my very first casting so the plan was simple and the page worthless and for experimenting only. My goal was not to create the perfect slurry but to just perform the act and see how it would come out.

Here's is my plans with the slurry mixture. The 1st 3 or 4 tries are to practice the mechanics of doing different size areas so the slurry is a simple mixture. Then I will be working on manipulating the color of the slurry while at the same time introducing additional ingredients used in making paper to ensure it will be strong and long lasting.

That’s my plan and I will try to post all the stuff I do on this subject till it gets boring for you all.

btw, Congrats Mike. Glad to finally see somebody else publish their Leaf Casting results. I know you have been trying for awhile with mixed results.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

(thumbs u

I just wated to clarify this is my first actual cast. I have been trying to build one in the past but never got to the point of casting something. :) Oh and thanks Kenny. (worship)