• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Either Of These A Real Frank Miller?

15 posts in this topic

Okay, I've got what I believe to be a genuine Frank Miller sketch. It's in my CAF gallery, but I'll post a pic below for reference.

img834.jpg

The next one just ended on eBay. I never would have known about it, but a CAFer sent me a note wanting my opinion as to its authenticity.

!Bno7!YQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKi!EjlLmFs2+BLkUDecGGQ~~_3.JPG

I didn't get the email until too late, but I think it's a fake. Not because I want to protect the value of my own, but because every line in the eBay sketch is very deliberate, there's no flow whatsoever. The pen/marker used seems to remain 100% the same in pressure and apparent speed all over the piece. The signature has no lighter areas in it and the cape lines in particular don't seem have the spontaneity that one would expect from a quick sketch. Also, and this is the big one, it looks like several parts have been traced over.

Regardless, I wanted to put it to the incredible wealth of knowledge here to see what you guys think about both items.

The signature on the one from eBay looks forced. No fluidity to the line. I'd say it's fake.

Bingo, that's a textbook forger's error. The signature has similar lines to it but the start and stop of the lines denotes someone making a copy and not a real signature.

The signature on the one from eBay looks forced. No fluidity to the line. I'd say it's fake.

Bingo, that's a textbook forger's error. The signature has similar lines to it but the start and stop of the lines denotes someone making a copy and not a real signature.

It's obvious the signature has been gone over, at least a couple of times, by the disparity of the color (of the marker) and the thickness of it

Thank you all for the opinions! I'm glad we were all in agreement on the eBay example, and even in agreement on what was wrong with it specifically.

I feel like mine is real because I didn't buy it, if that makes any sense. I don't think the seller knew it was there when they sold it and it also had a weird book with it that had what looks like a legitimate signature as well.

More comments are welcome! Don't think I'm trying to wrap this up!

well...reading his comments to questions that were asked (bottom of the ebay auction), one of them (in german) states that he won the auction on ebay himself and that he did not get the sketch directly from frank miller.

regardless of the sketch being from miller or not, i certainly would not have paid over 120 bucks for it !

Just as a sample, here's a Miller sketch I got directly from Frank quite a few years ago during a CBLDF fundraising session. Sin City was still new, but Frank hadn't quite gone "Hollywood" yet, so it was still only comic book fans looking to get his autograph. Just being in the right place at the right time...

miller-sketch.jpg

Pretty expressive image of Marv for what was probably under a 60-second sketch. I imagine you'd have to donate a LOT more now than I did back then to get a Frank Miller sketch. :-)

Dave M.

The link isn't working, but I hope this is it:

miller-sketch.jpg

It sucks. Send it to me so it can be disposed of properly. lol

That's an awesome piece! It would make the perfct companion to my Batman item. Let me know if Marv should ever need a new home!