• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Besides ASM what is the best Silver Age titile to collect?

18 posts in this topic

Oh right people DC or Marvel doesn't matter. What is the second best title to collect after ASM (by the way I don't collect Amazing Spider-Man as my first title but most people do) What is it X-Men, FF, Batman, TOS. Can be the best to collect because of undervalue or good stories and art. Anything you like.

Have a good rest of the weekend,

Ericc123

It won't do you as much good as the X-Men or ASM in dollar value, but the Avengers was always a favorite. Good team book, and you had the wonderful Kirby artwork!!! We could maybe say that the Avengers are undervalued for a silver age series? If they only made an Avengers movie.....?

D-

Silver age FF all the way.

I'll second that! For true adventure/action comics, FF silver-age rules the day. Up to FF Ann #6. After that the title seemed to drift a bit with the last truly great story being FF #120-123 and possibly FF #134-135.

Jim

I collect Spidey, FF, Daredevil, X-Men, Silver Surfer, and Thor from the Silver Age. Of those, I'd say FF is second-best.

However, I don't think you should collect any FFs for at least a few years, unless you're after mid-to-low grade copies. I don't need any more competition for such an "underperforming" (quote from Lighthouse) title. tongue.gif

try the Sufer 18 issue run. they are not that hard to find in high grade and not that expensive. The whole thing is just 18 issues so if you are cmpletionist it is a task that can be completed. Also every issue has great art - and all but a few are great stories. Never cared for the Frankenstein meeting in #7 or Abomination in #12. But can't go wrong with art by Buscema and Kirby. The first 6 are some of the best stuff Marvel ever did I think -and some of the most memorable covers with 1, 3,4, and 6.

I really thought Thor was cool. If you're collecting because you read the comics and collect them - collect Thor. If you're collecting for an "investment" stick with Spidey, FF, and X-Men. Thor from the 60s are perennially undervalued, and you can pick up nice early Thor issues for dirt cheap(relatively speaking)

2. Kirby FF 1-108

3. J Buscema S Surfer 1-18

4. J Buscema & Sal Buscema Avengers 50-92 (underpriced)

5. G Kane Gr Lantern 1-75

6. G Kane Atom 1-36

7. Kirby JIM/Thor & J Buscema Thor run.

8. N Adams X-men run (Havok, Sentinels, Kazar in Savage Land, Magneto, Sauron)

On the DC front, for the best value, I'd second the choice of Adventure Comics featuring the Legion, starting with the first Jim Shooter scripted issue #347 (when Shooter was only 14, I kid you not!), and running up to #380. For historical importance if money-is-no object, I would point you to Showcase from about #25 up. (Below #25 are also great, but not worth the $$$ given the reprints in Archives and elsewhere).

Cheers,

Z.

I haven't really liked Thor and probably never will, but with relation to the prices attained on books..Thor is probably the lowest IMO, I would think the prices couldn't go much lower or else they'd be in danger of being worth less then modern books tongue.gif

Brian

I have to agree with the Silver Surfer comments. These are great books, tough in 9.4 or higher esp. # 3 - black cover- and the series only being 18 issues, it's a nice short run. - I love the Avengers stuff, but I would pass on the X Men...too many issues that NOTHING happens.....Then for DC stuff, grab Neal Adams/Denny O'neil Batman & Green Lantern.

Fantastic Four is the best Marvel Title. Like Brian, I also collect Captain America books (TOS, Cap). Daredevil is OK (not really great until Miller though). Nick Fury is a great series (especially the Steranko's wink.gif ).

Chris

FF is classic! Easily the most complex and varied stories of the Silver Age. You have the constant friction between the characters, you have Mr. Fantastic the stoic father figure which is constantly played against the rebellious teenager Human Torch, you have the sexpot Invisible girl, and then you have the endearingly simple Thing.

The comics industry desperately needs another Stan Lee, someone who can suck readers into the roles of the characters.

P.S. I don't think blatant gimmickry via exploiting homosexuality like in the Rawhide Kid is the kind of thing Stan Lee would have in mind. I think we all better pray for a comic miracle to save Marvel.