• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bone #1 CGC 9.8 is on sale!

73 posts in this topic

CGC don't downgrade for sigs, they give a green label with the relevant grade.

that's not what i was told in the beginning.

I know it has gone back and forth, but CGC took the approach the signature will not detract from the book as long as it is in a Green Label.

Unfortunately, there is no Qualified Yellow Label like there is a Restored Yellow Label to have a creator sign a book again.

:(

Everyone really needs to stop perpetrating the "CGC needs to have a Yellow/Green label." The Yellow label is already a qualified label. And it signifies the authenticity of the sigs. Yellow and Green would be a trainwreck because some of the sigs would be verified and some would not. It is just simply a bad idea. People that know what is what will not have a problem with a Green label for HG books that were signed before the advent of SS.

I think a creator should be able to trace over their signature to change the green label to a yellow. Just my opinion.

What if they hadn't signed it in the first place? If someone had forged it they'd just be overwriting a forgery.

"NAME written on cover" just kills me on the label. I agree with the earlier post that it's a much better overall look to make the book more presentable when the label actually states the name.

I've never sent a book to be graded that's going to get a green label because of a signature because of this. It's totally random whether they list the name or just put NAME. Even if it's a dynamic forces comic with a COA.

I know it has gone back and forth, but CGC took the approach the signature will not detract from the book as long as it is in a Green Label.

Unfortunately, there is no Qualified Yellow Label like there is a Restored Yellow Label to have a creator sign a book again.

Everyone really needs to stop perpetrating the "CGC needs to have a Yellow/Green label." The Yellow label is already a qualified label. And it signifies the authenticity of the sigs. Yellow and Green would be a trainwreck because some of the sigs would be verified and some would not. It is just simply a bad idea. People that know what is what will not have a problem with a Green label for HG books that were signed before the advent of SS.

The real train wreck was the last proposal of changes years ago by CGC on the label. Talk about complexity...

I think a creator should be able to trace over their signature to change the green label to a yellow. Just my opinion.

What if they hadn't signed it in the first place? If someone had forged it they'd just be overwriting a forgery.

Who cares, now it would be real. (thumbs u

Lets assume it is a forgery. (If CGC were to implement this, we'd have to start at this assumption anyway.) In my opinion, the "damage" to the book from the forgery writing is in exactly the same spot as the real signature so it shouldn't hurt the books grade.

CGC would get their fees and the book would be signed in front of a witness. And of course the owner of the book would now have a geniune signed copy. Everyone wins. (shrug)

To me the real question about this scenario is whether or not the creator would be willing to carefully sign over top their previous signature/possible forgery.

So what sort of grade differential does a book with a un-verified signiture get when the book was placed in a Blue label. And how much would it differ if the sig is on the front page or splash page?

So what sort of grade differential does a book with a un-verified signiture get when the book was placed in a Blue label. And how much would it differ if the sig is on the front page or splash page?

I remember reading this here on the boards before. I don't remember if it was in the SS Q&A thread or in a Silver Age thread.

If the signature is on the cover, it gets a green qualified label and doesn't count against the numerical score.

If the signature is on the inside, it's considered damage to the inside pages. Especially, since a signature on the inside usually passes through to other pages. Even if the ink doesn't bleed through, the signature at least indents other pages. Thus, the book gets a lower numerical score for these other damages.

The amount it effects the numerical score depends on the amount of damage. Heavy or faint indent, bleeding of ink to other pages, etc...

I remember the discussion was quite a bumer for a lot of boardies who prefer signatures on the inside.

I actually prefer signatures on the 1st page too. Whenever I get a book signed that is just for me and not getting graded I have them sign the 1st page. Just personal preference.

I was just wondering as I have GSX 1 CGC 6.0 that has Dave Cockrum sig on the inner page. The book looks great, a 7.0 at least but CGC gave it a 6.0. I always wondererd why this didn't get a green label.

I was just wondering as I have GSX 1 CGC 6.0 that has Dave Cockrum sig on the inner page. The book looks great, a 7.0 at least but CGC gave it a 6.0. I always wondererd why this didn't get a green label.

He's right. As long as the signature is on the inside of the book, CGC doesn't count it against the grade. But they will note this on the label such as, "Name written on inside page."

Here is a question I never thought to ask.

Could the winner ask for a new label with "Jeff Smith" written on cover instead of "Name" written on cover?

I know you can submit books back to CGC for a new holder and new label. I think 3 of the 4 corners have to be undamaged to get a new holder without having to have the book regraded.

Seems like a fair question and reasonable request. (shrug)

CGC has a signature series label. Why would they promote getting books signed and then downgrade a book with a signature?

I have personally seen 10.0's with sigs on them.

Looks like someone bought it for $1706. What do you guys think about that?

That is a ridiculously low price because bidders considered the Green Label less valued.

What a steal!

I dont know, I guess I just dont see it. People pay a huge premium on this book in 9.8 for the following reasons in my mind:

1. They want the best obtainable copy of this book.

2. They want a copy that they can call mint

3. They collect 9.8 labels

So, yes it is a 9.8 label, which is just a label in my mind and thus why I dont usually collect many 9.8 books. To call it mint in not really fair because the book does have writing on it. Yes, it is probably a real signature, but the market seems to agree without a SS label it has to be assumed to possibly not be authentic. Lastly, its obviously not the best obtainable copy of the book, because it does have the writing on it, thus why it did not sell for the nearly $5000 a universal 9.8 sells for these days.

Now don't get me wrong, many of you may think I am being bias because I own a universal 9.6, but I did bid on this 9.8. I bid a bit higher than I originally planned on for it and for the right price I would have liked the book, but I could not justify spending $1700 on it. In the end I just thought a 9.6 technically has a lot less damage to it and I think I personally will be happier with the copy that does not have a signature on it. I guess I just don't get why anyone would want it for such a high price other than wanting the 9.8 label, because if that's what someone really wanted the book is a bargain. Personally if it was a qualified like the 9.6 TMNT #1 that has a ripped page inside I would have been all over this book. That book to me was a steal for the person that picked it up a couple years ago. I would love a Bone #1 that presents just like a 9.8, but does not cost what a 9.8 costs. Maybe even a signature inside the cover because I do like signed books.To me this does not present like a 9.8, so the price is hard to justify.

Thoughts?

Could the winner ask for a new label with "Jeff Smith" written on cover instead of "Name" written on cover?

I know you can submit books back to CGC for a new holder and new label. I think 3 of the 4 corners have to be undamaged to get a new holder without having to have the book regraded.

As far as I can tell, they only list the actual name written if the name is clear and legible (e.g. a sig like James O'Barr's). When the signature is not legible, you get the "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER" notation. At least, that's how I've always understood it. hm

As far as I can tell, they only list the actual name written if the name is clear and legible (e.g. a sig like James O'Barr's). When the signature is not legible, you get the "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER" notation. At least, that's how I've always understood it. hm

Yep, that's true.

But that also depends on who grades your book and if they are familar with that creator signature.

I wonder if you went to a convention with onsite grading and asked someone like Kevin Boyd to change the label? hm