• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody know this "ex" CGC employee?

65 posts in this topic

Andy, what Bizarro UK are you living in, matey?

Halloween has been celebrated here for many, many decades. I can remember in my youth (and I was once young, believe it or not) engaging in all sorts of stupid games, including but not limited to, bobbing for apples. Trick or Treat was replaced by Knock and Run, which usually involved a piece of cr@p-covered newspaper left on a doorstep, this being set alight seconds before the door was knocked...you can imagine the results?

And as for UK slang being 50% American-orientated....I cannot ever remember hearing anyone, ever, using the expression scuzzball...and I'm the one with the American wife.

Get off your mid-Atlantic high horse, ya nancy ... wink.gif

What you're referring to in your so-called Halloween description sounds vaguely like Knock-Down Ginger - which doesn't particularly pertain to what it was really about. Besides up in Liverpule you'd probably have played that "game" every day of the year. Did you actually get any treats for immolating neighbour's porches?

I don't recall any trick or treating going on in the Smoke until the mid-Eighties. It just wasn't enough of an institution until then. Up in Merseyside things may have been different (well you had to do something to assuage the immense tedium). Are you telling me you actually dressed up in Witch/Warlock/whatever attire and did things exactly as they were done in the U.S.??

It sounds like a drug induced amalgam of disparate memories that have no connection to Halloween. grin.gif

As for the word scuzzball, yeah whatever. Can't be bothered to argue about that. Ask the other Forumites if they've heard of it. If it doesn't exist, I'll still use it - I like that word.

But I do take enormous umbrage at your "mid-Atlantic nancy " remark. Half of that comment makes no sense.

And secondly, go boil your head, you Scouse Troll get!!!!! smirk.gif

I've never met him and I don't care, but as he's got a link to this thread on his "About Me" page on ebay, I'd therefore just like to goad him by calling him a cad and a bounder. And a mountebank.

893whatthe.gifThem's fightin' words in these here parts! 27_laughing.gif

I think this has turned out to be a flame thread, but since I don't know what the heck they're saying this is pure speculation on my part flamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gifflamed.gif

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

Neither do we. Seriously, this isn't really flaming (I rather like Mr. Telepath). It's just the way that English blokes generally converse with each other. By being sarcastic and making casual insults. And I'm only half- joking.

ScarFace, BOC and Greggy are in da Hizzo ! ! ! acclaim.gif

tdcggomixncardz 27_laughing.gif

Da Three Amigos! laugh.gif

No shirt No shoes No service 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

confused.gif

sign-offtopic.gifCGC grades MS5 easily! tongue.gif