• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ist Miller Batman?

14 posts in this topic

I got a request for an English DC from the early 80s that had an original Batman story with art by Fank Miller. I thought I had some but can't locate them. Does anyone know the title/issue# of this book? And more importantly does anyone have one for sale at a fair price.It'll find a good home and I'd like to be able to make a small profit on the deal.

Thanks for the scan. That's not the book I was thinking of.The one I am looking for has a cover with Batman and Santa Claus on it. I'm confused if the comic reprints the magazine or vice-versa.Now I'm going to have to dig around and find my copies.Don't know which one my request was for,either. He specified an English DC.

Thats a nice looking book,BTW.

In April of 1980,Miller was already making a name for himself with DD,would he have been doing a throwaway Batman story.Could this be a reprint of an earlier UK story? I read what OS says,but they've been wrong before.

I know the cover dates are a few months ahead,but this book coincides with DD 167 give or take an issue.

I'm betting your customer is thinking of a British B&W reprint of the Miller story first published in the 1980 DC Special Series. At that point in time, Miller was indeed doing the art for Daredevil, but taking over DD scripting, introducing Elektra, etc. were still in the future. The DC story might well have been an inventory story from earlier, finally published by DC to perhaps cash in on the growing Miller buzz. There also were some Miller stories published in of all places Weird War Tales about this same time.

I cannot recall seeing a specific British reprint of the Miller book, but I have seen several volumes of the Adams Batman stories in British B&W reprint trade paperbacks. We have several Brits regularly contributing in Comics General-- worth a post up there perhaps?

There was a British magazine put out in the 1980's called Superheroes. Beautiful painted covers. They reprinted DC stories in black and white. Reprints included Adams Batman's, Kubert Hawkman, a showcase Flash story, etc. I think they were 32 or 48 pages an issue. These also was a British Marvel Magazine from the 1970's with the Superheroes title, but these are different.

I do remember that the Miller Batman story was reprinted in an issue. I've got a copy of that, but not sure where it's filed. I think there was a cover with Santa Claus and Batman and that's probably the issue. They used to show up on eBay.

That is the book I am talking about. I always thought the Batman story was an original,not a reprint.Need to dig one up and see the date published.While they mostly did reprints,they might have thrown in an original story from inventory.A Batman-Santa Claus story only has a limited

retail season.Anyone have one of these?

Thanks to all who responded.

the superheroes (monthly)1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, and 12 released early 80's like 1981, and each issue had 48 pages, B&W. with new covers, reprinting three stories in each. . Featured Frank Miller, Neal Adams, Joe Kubert, Showcase #4 , Justice League, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. Cover price 40 P in UK..