• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any "MUST READ" comics coming out tomorrow 2/11/04?**spoiler**

47 posts in this topic

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I figured since Bendis was writting it, it was in the Ultimate Universe.

He writes Daredevil too.

By the way, you should put spoiler space AFTER the spoiler as well. I just read your last spoiler because I was reading the post below it.

like this

************SPOILER********************

SPOIL ME

**************************END SPOILER***************************

Bendis is better known for the Ultimate line than Daredevil in my opinion. I like his Ultimate stuff better to be honest. It is like he is taking Stan Lee's ideas and making them his own by not having to worry about the 40+ years of continuity in the regular Marvel Universe. Thanks for the spoiler tip.

Avengers 78

(6/10) Not bad. A liitle disconcerting to go from last issue's art style to this issue's return of former regular artist Olivier Coipel. A bit talky, and like most Austen comics not a lot really happens. Still, it didn't suck.

Captain America 23

(5/10) This gets such a low rating simply because I have no use for attempts to bond Captain America to "real world" politics. Bachalo's art is horrendous but compelling to look at as well. The last page with Fury and Castro is just plain dumb. And Saddam Hussein's "weapons" went to cuba? Why not just send them to Moscow? Or mail them to secret Nazi bases in Bolivia? Dumb.

Green Arrow 35

(7/10) Good enough story about the Riddler, whose profile has gone up a notch or two post-"Hush". Solid artwork, nice characterization.

Hawkman 25

(10/10) Great crossover with JSA concludes in an interesting manner. Lots of changes to this corner of the DCU. I'm very interested to see how the original Hourman will fit into the new dynamic and whether or not Brainwave will be sticking around. Rags will be missed on Hawkman. Interestingly enough, next issue blurb indicates that John Byrne is pencilling #26. Sure missed that announcement.

Incredible Hulk 67

(3/10) Awful story. Nice artwork by Doug Braithwaite can't save a turkey.

Knights "4" 1

(8/10) I liked it. It's the Fantastic Four as real people, less fantastic, more four - makes the title "4" very appropriate. Gorgeous Steve McNiven artwork - I booked him for the June show yesterday and I'm interested in going back to see his CrossGen work on Meridian.

Marvel 1602 7

( 9/10 ) A solid read, with some brutal and interesting surprises. Nice twist at the end, as the time traveller is revealed.

Secret War Book One

(8/10) Too soon to make a call.It read well. but I didn't come away from the book feeling like I enjoyed it all that much. And why is Spider-Man on the cover when he isn't even in the first issue? I guess Nick Fury doesn't sell comics.

Teen Titans 8

(8/10) Another solid Geoff Johns-written book. Nice to see Tom Grummett drawing the Titans again, and a nice mix of action at the start and characterization all wrapped up with a nifty retelling of Raven's origin story and history.

Ultimate X-Men 42

(8/10) As usual, Bendis delivers some great characterization. Not really bowled over by the Ultimate Dazzler, but some interesting asides with the President and his staff over concerns of telepathic manipulations. Last issue was more important than I thought.

Impulse purchases

Aquaman 15

(6/10) No San Diego Comic-Con in the DCU next year. Great cover and an intriguing mystery. Aquaman cannot sustain a title, but every so often a solid Aquaman story shows up. This one may be it.

Chosen 1

(6/10) Not sure what to think of this Millar-verse book. Interesting read though, nice flashback structure.

Kev

1602 #7: I didn't really see that (or that or that) coming. I can't wait to see how this wraps up. And then I'll read it again to really find out what I think.

Chosen #1: Easily the weakest (so far) of the Millarworld books. It had a real "intro" feel so presumably it will pick up.

Ultimate X-Men #42: Well... Ultimate Dazzler was stupid. I love crass punk rockers as much as the next guy, but I'm just not buying this one. I thought it was 100% corny. Other than that, as enjoyable as ever...

Coup D'Etat #2: BIG letdown after Brubaker/ Lee. I guess it moved the story along, but it was no more than that.

Secret War #1 I'm underwhelmed. The art was great and the story was well-written, but I'm just not blown away by this just yet. I'll keep buying though, so it succeeded on at least that level. then again, I would probably buy a pinup book by this guy every month so that's actually not saying much...

Oh, and I picked up the first three issues of Kyle Baker's Plastic Man. Pretty good. I expected it to be laugh out loud funny. It wasn't, but it's a fun read nonetheless.