• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need advice on selling OA

17 posts in this topic

just joined the boards so please bear with me... but I need some advice on selling some OA I found in my basement... is it better to try to sell them through a dealer like Heritage or ComicLink, on ebay, or the marketplace here? I have no idea what these things are worth although I know some of the artists are pretty popular (Byrne, Perez, Miller, etc). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

How you sell depends on what kind of OA you have. Any potential buyer is going to want to see digital pictures of the art.

There are plenty of people on these boards that would be potentially interested, including me, if you have OA for sale.

If pics aren't immediately available, how about providing a list with artist, title, issue, page # and maybe a brief description of what is happening on the page.

So, welcome to the boards and let's see what you have.

Cheers!

N.

Listing those artists you listed means you are probably getting a lot of Private Messages asking what it is you have. Be careful, you will likely get low balled on some of those pieces. Wouldn't hurt to make the pieces public and I am sure if they are the "important" pieces those artists worked on, you will get plenty of offers. Auctions can often net you very high results if they are big pieces, but you will of course get dinged on the fees. All depends on what you have really. And now I am curious, so I would love for you to list them here... Good luck either way...

just joined the boards so please bear with me... but I need some advice on selling some OA I found in my basement... is it better to try to sell them through a dealer like Heritage or ComicLink, on ebay, or the marketplace here? I have no idea what these things are worth although I know some of the artists are pretty popular (Byrne, Perez, Miller, etc). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

I would suggest going to comicartfan.com and using their free market research tool to get an idea what stuff has sold for in the past. pick a price for a few items, then list them here. It cost nothing to sell on the boards. CLINK is 10% plus you have to ship the item to them which is more money out of your pocket. Good luck.

first of all, thanks a lot to everyone who responded and PM'ed me... really appreciate your comments...

second, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was some huge stash of work... just a few pieces I found... so I apologize if my post came across that way...

I will try to take pictures with my camera and figure out how to post them on this site... in the meantime, here is what I have:

1. George Perez - Avengers #178 - cover - this looks like an early version for the cover to #178 with the Beast dominating the page and the Wasp, Cap and Wonder Man to the left. I say early because when I look at the Price Guide picture for the cover, all the elements are there but they have been re-arranged (although it's clearly a Perez and Marvel work)

2. Rob Liefeld - Berzerkers #1 variant? - again not sure what this is -- could be an early version of the Image Bezerkers cover -- numbered 61 / 1500

3. John Byrne - West Coast Avengers #44 - pg 6 - dialogue page -- lots of talking between the Scarlet Witch, Hank Pym, and Wonder Man

4. John Byrne - West Coast Avengers #44 - pg 18 - Scarlet Witch and twins story

5. John Byrne - West Coast Avengers #56 pg 1 - full page splash of an "evil"? Scarlet Witch

6. Dave Simons? - Savage Sword of Conan #154 pg 60

7. John Buscema - The Avengers #41 pg 10 - Wasp, Goliath, Hawkeye, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch

8. Frank Miller - Daredevil #189 pg 5 - DD and Stick

9. George Perez - Tales of the New Teen Titans #47 pg 12 & 13 - this is a nice 2 page spread with all the NTT fighting

That's it folks. Any advice as to what to do with them would be appreciated! Hopefully, I can get some pics up soon...

first of all, thanks a lot to everyone who responded and PM'ed me... really appreciate your comments...

second, I didn't mean to make it sound like it was some huge stash of work... just a few pieces I found... so I apologize if my post came across that way...

I will try to take pictures with my camera and figure out how to post them on this site... in the meantime, here is what I have:

1. George Perez - Avengers #178 - cover - this looks like an early version for the cover to #178 with the Beast dominating the page and the Wasp, Cap and Wonder Man to the left. I say early because when I look at the Price Guide picture for the cover, all the elements are there but they have been re-arranged (although it's clearly a Perez and Marvel work)

9. George Perez - Tales of the New Teen Titans #47 pg 12 & 13 - this is a nice 2 page spread with all the NTT fighting

If you go on CAF (comicartfans.com), look up Michael Lovitz and send him an e-mail. He'll pay top dollar for pretty much any quality Perez art. I'd put the Miller DD page on eBay. eBay has actually been a decent place to get FMV for Miller DD pages.

I hereby offer my first born...

By #189 it was almost all Janson's work

Frank was doing loose layouts on 8.5" x 11" paper and then Klaus was penciling and inking on art board from there. Klaus also did the coloring.

So maybe your second born, or perhaps a puppy instead.

7. John Buscema - The Avengers #41 pg 10 - Wasp, Goliath, Hawkeye, Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch

Again, the gems are the four pages listed above. You might get 10K - 15K+ for that Avengers cover (no way less than 10K though). I would get in touch with Lovitz on that and the Titans DPS.

The Miller page, I'd put on eBay. You might get 2K for that. The Buscema Avengers page is nice. Not as familiar with those values but you might get in the 3K range for it. eBay wouldn't be a bad idea for that one either.

PM me if you have any questions or need other suggestions.

Again, the gems are the four pages listed above. You might get 10K - 15K+ for that Avengers cover (no way less than 10K though). I would get in touch with Lovitz on that and the Titans DPS.

The Miller page, I'd put on eBay. You might get 2K for that. The Buscema Avengers page is nice. Not as familiar with those values but you might get in the 3K range for it. eBay wouldn't be a bad idea for that one either.

PM me if you have any questions or need other suggestions.

That Perez/Sinnott piece is gorgeous, but it's unpublished right?

There was a gorgeous published Perez JLA cover that was just on ebay and hit $16k, does an unpublished piece go for $10k-15K? I know his Avengers work is more steeped in nostalgia and is more a fan favorite, but doesn't it's unused nature hinder pricing?

I would think the market is significantly restricted for a piece that has never seen print.

I'm going to see if I can email Mr. Perez and determine the circumstances surrounding that cover. I may have to stalk him...

Anyway, I think I'm going to put all the other stuff up on eBay unless I get tons of offers via PMs...