• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few observations about Megacon. More of a market report.

58 posts in this topic

The biggest surprise to me were the sales of titles like Punisher, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Iron Man and other Copper Age that weren't just key issues or Spider-Man and X-men. In fact the Punisher outsold Spidey, Wolverine, and the X-men at this show. A fluke I'm sure, but still interesting.

That is interesting Mike. Certainly, back in the 90s when I had comic shops, Punisher always sold well. Hadn't considered it as still being appealing to collectors, other than ASM 129 of course.

When you say the copper issues, and Punisher, sold well do you mean from your dollar and cheaper inventory? Or did they actually sell for some relationship to guide?

They actually sold out of regularly priced inventory, and of course were they were issues like #1, #10, DD #257 and were NM - or better. Other issues after #10 are generally sold out of the dollar boxes. Other titles like Crisis, Batman, and most Marvels are in regular inventory if they are NM or better. I noticed that when people didn't find it in the dollar boxes, they would search the regular inventory and usually still purchased them at several more dollars.

lol After reading this thread, I'm going to start coaching my 10-year old twin daughters on the lingo and get them to make my purchases at future cons! I've got them started since they turn up their nose at any modern I tell them wouldn't grade 9.8.

Nice report Mike. I think you're starting to see the 20 year rule come into play yet again. I'm regularly selling things like Punisher, the Nam, Spawn, the McFarlane "Spiderman" , even early drek Image . Yeah they sell for a buck or even less in lots but it brings back people into the fold that collected when those books were hot. Unlike baseball cards where people immediately had disdain finding all those early 1990's cards are worthless the comic guys were more readers and are just happy to have their childhood collection available back on the cheap. I typically wouldnt even work that era but now I at least pack them into runs and bulk bagged sets and they sell i the shop pretty good.

The biggest surprise to me were the sales of titles like Punisher, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Iron Man and other Copper Age that weren't just key issues or Spider-Man and X-men. In fact the Punisher outsold Spidey, Wolverine, and the X-men at this show. A fluke I'm sure, but still interesting.

That is interesting Mike. Certainly, back in the 90s when I had comic shops, Punisher always sold well. Hadn't considered it as still being appealing to collectors, other than ASM 129 of course.

When you say the copper issues, and Punisher, sold well do you mean from your dollar and cheaper inventory? Or did they actually sell for some relationship to guide?

They actually sold out of regularly priced inventory, and of course were they were issues like #1, #10, DD #257 and were NM - or better. Other issues after #10 are generally sold out of the dollar boxes. Other titles like Crisis, Batman, and most Marvels are in regular inventory if they are NM or better. I noticed that when people didn't find it in the dollar boxes, they would search the regular inventory and usually still purchased them at several more dollars.

(thumbs u

Mike...wish I could have been there, especially since I've managed to accumulate a gazillion more dollar books that I would have loved to have unloaded! :cry:

Nice gesture on the Hulk 181, but that mom must have really been hot! (thumbs u

Yeah, we missed you this year. You would have had a good time I think.

I think with Disney showing ASM,X-men, and FF cartoons daily that this keeps the characters in the public eye. I know my son watches those three shows everyday and now he wants me to buy thier comics and videogames. (thumbs u
What do you know? Are hobby may have a good future yet! (thumbs u :wishluck:

I think with Disney showing ASM,X-men, and FF cartoons daily that this keeps the characters in the public eye. I know my son watches those three shows everyday and now he wants me to buy thier comics and videogames. (thumbs u
What do you know? Are Our hobby may have a good future yet! (thumbs u :wishluck:

Just looking out for you amongst the grammar sharks.

:o

What do you know? Are Our hobby may have a good future yet! (thumbs u :wishluck:

Just looking out for you amongst the grammar sharks.

:o

:roflmao:

I had a boy about 11 years old buy a low grade Hulk #181. He was already short on cash, and I could tell he really wanted it. It would have been an easy sale at full price on ebay or at any show. I made eye contact with his mom and I could see it in her eyes that she really wanted to buy it for him, but wanted to be a good mother and not spoil the kid. I decided to cut the price in half, and I think it made the day for all three of us. He was really excited, and she was really appreciative.

Good for you. :applause::applause::applause:

Yep, that is awesome. ^^

I had a boy about 11 years old buy a low grade Hulk #181. He was already short on cash, and I could tell he really wanted it. It would have been an easy sale at full price on ebay or at any show. I made eye contact with his mom and I could see it in her eyes that she really wanted to buy it for him, but wanted to be a good mother and not spoil the kid. I decided to cut the price in half, and I think it made the day for all three of us. He was really excited, and she was really appreciative.

Mike,

To echo everyone else already, that was super of you. I love how things like this put everything in perspective - bravo! :applause:

David