• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wait... the Church Flash 1 just sold for $450k?

134 posts in this topic

How are people trying to extrapolate that a Marvel #1, regardless of the grade, could come close to the highest graded copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 when a 9.0 Pedigree copy sells for 1/5 the price of 8.0s of both books ?

Also whether the Marvel #1 Church grades at 9.6 or 9.8 does it really matter as a price point ? Its the nicest copy in existance.

Exactly. The dynamics of the GA market are completely different from the dynamics of the SA and BA markets. I think there IS a minimum condition that a GA book has to achieve to attract mega-bucks, which I would say is VF/NM, but once the book is at that level, the numerical grade for a GA book is not as important as whether it is the best copy.

How are people trying to extrapolate that a Marvel #1, regardless of the grade, could come close to the highest graded copies of Action #1 and Tec #27 when a 9.0 Pedigree copy sells for 1/5 the price of 8.0s of both books ?

Also whether the Marvel #1 Church grades at 9.6 or 9.8 does it really matter as a price point ? Its the nicest copy in existance.

Exactly. The dynamics of the GA market are completely different from the dynamics of the SA and BA markets. I think there IS a minimum condition that a GA book has to achieve to attract mega-bucks, which I would say is VF/NM, but once the book is at that level, the numerical grade for a GA book is not as important as whether it is the best copy.

GA = of course rarer harder to find books than SA/BA for the most part.

So collectors wanted to own the best example of a GA - it makes sense we see the prices we do. The guy who has the Tec 27 cgc 8.0 can brag to all of his buddies on how he has the highest (GRADED) Tec 27 in the world (currently)

I hope Veryzl slabbs the Church MC#1 and gets $3M+ for it and then we can watch the MC#1 haters scramble for cover. Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

This might be the funniest thing I've read all month.

I agree with Tim that it would be a distant 3rd at best, as most likely the nicest Superman #1 would also be a strong challenger for the #3 spot.

I always forget about the best Superman #1. Is it from a pedigree?

Maybe even the best Batman #1 would place above the best MC #1.

Mile High Supes 1 is considered to be the best...easily a 7 figure book (thumbs u

There is just a huge price swing even in .2 increments of a grade for these two mega keys that I believe the Tec 27 AT is the most valuable book.

There is a huge price swing in .2 increments when buyers actually have the option of passing on a book and waiting for the next copy in the same or better grade to come along. When you're talking about a 9.2 copy of Action #1, there ain't no better copy coming along, so the same increment multiples you're used to don't apply.

There is just a huge price swing even in .2 increments of a grade for these two mega keys that I believe the Tec 27 AT is the most valuable book.

There is a huge price swing in .2 increments when buyers actually have the option of passing on a book and waiting for the next copy in the same or better grade to come along. When you're talking about a 9.2 copy of Action #1, there ain't no better copy coming along, so the same increment multiples you're used to don't apply.

that is my feeling... and I will take it one step futher to say that the price for "the" best, whether it is a 9.0 or a 9.6 is still the same, on one of the major mega GA keys... it is just a number, after all, and there is no other alternative...

that is my feeling... and I will take it one step futher to say that the price for "the" best, whether it is a 9.0 or a 9.6 is still the same, on one of the major mega GA keys... it is just a number, after all, and there is no other alternative...

This is similar to some other hobbies where the actual numerical grade becomes irrelevant and what actually happens is that the items become "ranked" based on value/importance (as Rick has already done in a previous post in this thread).

As explained by others, whether the Church Action #1 is a 9.0 or a 9.2 or a 9.4 or a 9.9 is irrelevant. What is important is that it is nicest copy of the most important book in comics.

The reason you see that market dynamic of multiples of grade based on grade (ie 9.6 being worth multiples of a 9.2) in SA books is because

a) the books are cheaper,

b) there is more availability and

c) the bidding pool is much deeper than for a $1MIL book allowing for a vibrant marketing dynamic.

Having said that it'll be interesting to see the Church copy of Superman #1 sell (it's an 8.0, right?).

What do you guys know about the nicest Batman #1 copies? I know there is a CGC 9.0 that sold on Comiclink a few years ago for $300K or so....bet that buyer is laughing now.

Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

Yes it would.

This isn't the SA Marvel market. Numerical grades for these types of books are relatively irrelevant--it's about being the best copy in existence. Even if the MH Action 1 was only a CGC 9.2 and the AT Detective 27 was a CGC 9.6 and the MH MC 1 was a CGC 9.8, in my opinion the MH Action 1 would still be the most valuable, the AT 27 would be second, and (maybe) the MC 1 would be third.

Didn't a non-pedigree Tec 27 just beat out a pedigreed Action #1 in the same grade?

Mile High or not, Allentown's aren't exactly Crowleys or Rockfords. I'd like to think The best Tec 27 in the world would beat the best Action 1 in the world when the Tec happens to be 2 full grades better.

If the Allentown Tec 27 was a 9.6 and the Church Action 1 a 9.2, I'd say the Tec is the #1 book.

Of course ifs and butts....and all that.

Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

Yes it would.

This isn't the SA Marvel market. Numerical grades for these types of books are relatively irrelevant--it's about being the best copy in existence. Even if the MH Action 1 was only a CGC 9.2 and the AT Detective 27 was a CGC 9.6 and the MH MC 1 was a CGC 9.8, in my opinion the MH Action 1 would still be the most valuable, the AT 27 would be second, and (maybe) the MC 1 would be third.

Didn't a non-pedigree Tec 27 just beat out a pedigreed Action #1 in the same grade?

Mile High or not, Allentown's aren't exactly Crowleys or Rockfords. I'd like to think The best Tec 27 in the world would beat the best Action 1 in the world when the Tec happens to be 2 full grades better.

If the Allentown Tec 27 was a 9.6 and the Church Action 1 a 9.2, I'd say the Tec is the #1 book.

The consensus seems to be that relative grade between titles becomes almost irrelevant when talking about the "best" from each title.

Again, personal preference and what is actually considered the most important comic of all time are two different things.

Yes it would.

The consensus seems to be that relative grade between titles becomes almost irrelevant when talking about the "best" from each title.

Again, personal preference and what is actually considered the most important comic of all time are two different things.

Indeed.

Essentially, they sold for the same price because it wasn't even possible to bid an even million using Heritage's auction bid increments and associated tacked-on buyer's fee. If the bidder could have bid an even million, I bet that's what the bid would have been.

I hope Veryzl slabbs the Church MC#1 and gets $3M+ for it and then we can watch the MC#1 haters scramble for cover. Lets face it if its really a 9.8 it won't be a stretch to suggest that it would sell for more than the Church Action #1.

I know I'm late to this, but there's no way in hell it would sell for more than the Church Action #1. It could be a 10 and it would still just be the best copy of Marvel Comics #1 versus the best copy of Action Comics #1.

I personally would think the Det. 27 9.6 is #1 then Action #1 9.2 is #2 unless of course the Action #1 MH is a 9.4 then it might be a coin flip. There is just a huge price swing even in .2 increments of a grade for these two mega keys that I believe the Tec 27 AT is the most valuable book.

I don't think numerical grade really matters with these books. the best is the best and that's all there is to the argument.

I agree with Tim that it would be a distant 3rd at best, as most likely the nicest Superman #1 would also be a strong challenger for the #3 spot.

+1 on that. A 9.0 Superman #1 would outsell pretty much everything but the big two. No one here bats an eye at rumors of the the Mile High Superman #1 (a book with issues) selling for $500,000.

I'd love to hear from one of the Steves if the Church Action #1 has a less angled cover than the 8.0 or 8.5.

I would pay money for a reality show featuring "The Steves" locked together in a room for a month.

I'm just saying.

I'd love to hear from one of the Steves if the Church Action #1 has a less angled cover than the 8.0 or 8.5.

I would pay money for a reality show featuring "The Steves" locked together in a room for a month.

I'm just saying.

Two men enter. One man leaves.

while I'm here, I want to once again point out, I'm not a "hater" of Marvel Comics #1. I like the book a lot. I'm just trying to be realistic about its value. Superman and Batman are giants.

Marvel #1 doesn't have any giants. 1st "Marvel" comic is esoteric. Cool as all hell to many of us, but still esoteric.

"it's the first marvel comic"

"who's in it? Spider-man?"

"no, the sub-mariner and the human torch"

"Who?"

while I'm here, I want to once again point out, I'm not a "hater" of Marvel Comics #1. I like the book a lot. I'm just trying to be realistic about its value. Superman and Batman are giants.

Marvel #1 doesn't have any giants. 1st "Marvel" comic is esoteric. Cool as all hell to many of us, but still esoteric.

"it's the first marvel comic"

"who's in it? Spider-man?"

"no, the sub-mariner and the human torch"

"Who?"

Which is why I think the best copy of AF #15 will eventually pass the best copy of MC #1 in the long run. AF #15 is the mega key Timely/Atlas/Marvel book to own.

+1 on that. A 9.0 Superman #1 would outsell pretty much everything but the big two. No one here bats an eye at rumors of the the Mile High Superman #1 (a book with issues) selling for $500,000.

I can debunk the rumor...the MH supe 1 didn't sell at 500K (that # is way too low for that book)...

I can debunk the rumor...the MH supe 1 didn't sell at 500K (that # is way too low for that book)...

It's a $1MIL book.

(thumbs u