• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off-topic: Anyone play the guitar?

21 posts in this topic

Just started practicing about a week ago..Geesh, the fingers on my left hand are tender..got to build up those calluses!

I practice about an hour a night..so how long can I expect before I'm able to string a tune together? I know it takes practice and patience, but can anyone give me any personal experience?

Thanks.

Just started practicing about a week ago..Geesh, the fingers on my left hand are tender..got to build up those calluses!

I practice about an hour a night..so how long can I expect before I'm able to string a tune together? I know it takes practice and patience, but can anyone give me any personal experience?

Thanks.

Well finally something on this board that I may know more than most people about. Actually I am a bass guitarist (hence BassGMan) but I also play a little guitar as well. Yeah, it takes a while to build up those calluses. You may see sharp grooves in your left hand fingers now, and they tend to hurt a bit don't they? However, the more you play they will start to harden up and them you won't feel those sharp strings anymore, or at least they won't hurt like they do now. They will go away though if you ever build them up and then take a few months off. Also, don't be surprised if you see a blood or water blister appear now and then, with calluses or not.

Actually, from my experience you can almost start playing tunes from day one. Not very well of course, but as long as you have someone that can teach you the changes you can most likely get through. Remembering the changes and where the chords are is often more challenging that the actual playing sometimes. It is kind of a catch 22 but in order to improve the fastest it is always a good idea to play with other musicians that are BETTER than you. However, you will be worse than them, so they may not want to. But if you can, it will challenge you alot more than playing with other guys at the same level or below.

I am in two bands now. A cover tune band for fun, and yet again another original band, although I gave up on trying to be a "rock star" about five years ago. At 40 I'm gettin' a little too old for that (at least in OTHER people's eyes).

Anyway, keep practicing, every day if possible. There are alot of very easy AC/DC tunes that are great for beginners. Don't forget to practice finger excersizing and stretching and not just the chords. And try to find a good teacher to help you along. Another important tip that most beginning guitarists don't think about: Buy a good metronome and practice to it. It is VERY important to work on your timing. That way, when you are practicing chords, picking or whatever, you will be doing it "to the beat". Good luck -----Sid (BassGuitarMan)

i agree with all of what bassgman said... i have been playing for about 15 or so years. i taught for a short time (patience is not my virtue). the learning curve is different for all people. i had a friend who started at 18 with a few tips from myself and another guitar player (we played together frequently) and within six months he was playing songs he liked on the acoustic quite well. other stuff just so so. his thing was neil young and man was he quick at picking it up. my best suggestion is to practice all the stretching, cords, fingerwork, blah blah blah for a bit each day (an hour sounds pretty good) but seek out songs you like by bands you like and toy with them for a while afterwards. there is nothing to motivate sucess better than getting better at what you set out to do. if that doesnt work... buy some old misfits and ramones albums. learn those songs and play them alot. mostly three chord rock stuff but great for finger strength, chord speed and timing changes. plus you will be able to play a song you recognize in a relatively quick time. good luck.

its been a pretty fun pastime for me. no i dont wanna be a rock star either. man it sucks to get old!

Thanks.

Well finally something on this board that I may know more than most people about. Actually I am a bass guitarist (hence BassGMan) but I also play a little guitar as well. Yeah, it takes a while to build up those calluses. You may see sharp grooves in your left hand fingers now, and they tend to hurt a bit don't they? However, the more you play they will start to harden up and them you won't feel those sharp strings anymore, or at least they won't hurt like they do now. They will go away though if you ever build them up and then take a few months off. Also, don't be surprised if you see a blood or water blister appear now and then, with calluses or not.

Actually, from my experience you can almost start playing tunes from day one. Not very well of course, but as long as you have someone that can teach you the changes you can most likely get through. Remembering the changes and where the chords are is often more challenging that the actual playing sometimes. It is kind of a catch 22 but in order to improve the fastest it is always a good idea to play with other musicians that are BETTER than you. However, you will be worse than them, so they may not want to. But if you can, it will challenge you alot more than playing with other guys at the same level or below.

I am in two bands now. A cover tune band for fun, and yet again another original band, although I gave up on trying to be a "rock star" about five years ago. At 40 I'm gettin' a little too old for that (at least in OTHER people's eyes).

Anyway, keep practicing, every day if possible. There are alot of very easy AC/DC tunes that are great for beginners. Don't forget to practice finger excersizing and stretching and not just the chords. And try to find a good teacher to help you along. Another important tip that most beginning guitarists don't think about: Buy a good metronome and practice to it. It is VERY important to work on your timing. That way, when you are practicing chords, picking or whatever, you will be doing it "to the beat". Good luck -----Sid (BassGuitarMan)

I am nowhere near Sids level of playing, but from my time playing(or at least trying to play) in bands and by myself, Sid's advice is 100% on the money. He did leave out the most important rule of rock---HAVE FUN! grin.gif

I am jamming with a friend on Thursday night and can't wait! I used to play every day, but CGC and being a dad, takes too much of my time. I am nowhere near as good as I was 4 years ago. frown.gif

Kev,

Also, let your musicianship transcend your fingers. Your inner musical abilities, that of you that you need to express through music. Think music, feel music, whether your instrument is in your hands or not. Once you eventually learn to communicate music through your instrument at the technical level you must attain in order to properly express yourself, what you bring to your guitar, the music within is what will transform it from just wood, metal, and plastic to introspection.

One of the best reasons to study and play music is to let others hear what is inside of you. The best way to do this is to listen to music as much as possible, and not necessarily just guitarists, although you could never go wrong listening to anything by:

Joe Pass (jazz)

John Abercrombie (new age)

Frank Gemballa (fusion)

Steve Howe (classical rock)

Al DiMeola (fusion/new age)

Eric Clapton (rock)

Keith Richards (rock/rhythm)

Cornell Dupree (R&B)

Johnny "WahWah" Watson (Funk/R&B)

Always try to hear what you are playing. Whether scales, arpeggios, or stretches (phrases). Hear it as you are playing it, not after you play it only because your fingers elicited the sounds at the fretboard. Play the notes from your mind's ear, not the hand, right from the start, and you will genuinely become a great musician.

I am in the same boat Minkev, My wife plays piano very well, we have a new baby girl,and I will be darned if by the time she is older I will be able to play the guitar hopefully very well.

Just started lessons this month, once a week for 2 hrs.

I make stained glass windows as a career, so my fingers mighgt be a bit tuffer then most, so far they do not hurt.

If you want I will send you a wav file soon if you want of my progress.. 27_laughing.gif

Good luk, keep at it, and play what comes easy.,

Zeman

Right now, besides the tender fingers, I know one thing...that F chord is bee-yotch.... crazy.gif

Yeah, that's always the toughest for beginners... especially if you are playing acoustic. It took me quite a while before I could quickly hit an F and make it clean.

Someone mentioned Neil Young.... he's a good place to start because most of his songs are fairly beginner friendly chords and strumming patterns. If you can do D A G Em and C, you can play a lot of Neil Young songs.

If you're playing electric like a nice buttery Les Paul or Fender, the chords will come easier.... BUT I recommend starting on acoustic and moving up to electric. Acoustic will force you to be more disciplined and build your hand strength and skills.

I like to practice new material on acoustic, then once I get it down I move to electric. If you can play it on an acoustic, the electric will be a breeze.

Have fun! acclaim.gif

Yeah, acoustic first, although like you said I've heard electric is a lot easier to fret.

My musical tastes range from rock to country. Searching through some of the Tab archives on-line, I found most of the country songs were constructed with pretty basic chords. Just have to build up speed, hand strength and work on those chord changes!

I do, I do! 893applaud-thumb.gif I' ve been plaing for about 20 years, and as BassGman said, I feel too old to try for the rock star dream, and I'm only 29! I don't know how long it'll be before you know some tunes, but it'll come if you keep practicing. I didn't start playing seriously until 13, and by 14 I was learning Metallica solos note-for-note (One). Keep playing, and you'll get better daily.

And as for the F chord, play it with 3 fingers, with your index finger barred across the bottom 2 strings (1st fret). But as a beginner, you should be learning the power chord, which most rock players use. It's 2 notes, and sounds great!

Feel free to email me with any questions. rob98743@cox.net

Hey, I figured out a way to make this thread more on-topic. Years ago I bought a cool magazine-size Lita Ford comic with Jim Balent art. I think it was by Marvel. Anyway, it came polybagged with a pink pick. I used that pick on my guitar. THERE! Now this thread fits. I think there was also an Ozzie and Metallica magazine-sized comic too, maybe they also came with picks, probably not pink though.

If Steve B. posts on this thread again I have a question. What if I sent in that Lita Ford comic to CGC along with the pick, and the comic was a 9.6 or so but the accompanying pick was somewhat used and worn, would the beat up pick bring down the grade of the comic if slabbed together??? Just kidding. wink.gif -----Sid

I paid my way through college by playing and singing in a rock/country band. That was a long time ago - 30+ years but I still have fond memories of the time. cloud9.gif I still haul out my acoustic once in a while and strum an old Elvis number for my wife and kids.

I remember we were on our way to our first gig when we realized we didn't have a name for the group. We quickly tossed a few ideas back and forth, then I looked out the window and saw a billboard for Yellowstone whiskey. So that's what we named ourselves - Yellowstone. acclaim.gif

If you work at it and learn those basic chords (G,A,C,D,Em) you'll be able to knock out a few basic tunes in a couple of months. In about 6 months your technique should improve to the point where you can play it smooth and you don't have to constantly think about what you are doing. It's something you'll be able to do the rest of your life so have fun with it. smile.gif

hi.gif

I've played guitar for more than half my life now (about 16 years), and played bass and sang lead vocals in a metal/alternative band till just a few months ago. With two year old twins, work, and going to grad school, there's barely time for my comics, let alone my music. I just had to drop the music temporarily. I still play for my kids sometimes though, who love it, except when they're not hitting and poking at my guitar. I'm hoping when I'm done with this degree, I can use the time I would spend on studying and/or attending class to start up a new band. cloud9.gif

I've played for 25 years, and now that I think about it, quit collecting comics once I started to play. I made a living at it for 7 years, traveled to almost every major city on the East Coast and met my wife while playing in a band.

I can play almost anything on the guitar, also play the keyboards, sing and recorded my own songs using Sonus software on the computer.

Lastly, when I'm at home reading this forum or searching for books on eBay (or other websites) I ripping off licks using a POD Guitar Processor right thru the computer.

Only advice:

Learn to play a couple of simple songs that you like first. Mainly because it will keep you interested. From there, just have FUN!!!!!

I started playing acoustic guitar over ten years ago, but in the last year or so I've had so little time that my left hand fingertips have gone a bit soft. It's time to get out the ol' Guild and get back to some fingerpicking. Wanting to sit down and play Simon & Garfunkel songs was my primary inspiration for sticking with it and learning to play steel string, and I started in a way that I wouldn't recommend - a friend taught me by teaching me intricate fingerpicking *first*, and that was a superb if backwards introduction to lots of technique.

Arnold

Since you like rock/country, I would recommend picking up both Neil Young's "Decade" songbook, and the big "Eagle's Great Hits" songbook (not the one that mirrors the 1st Greatest Hits album). Most of the popular Eagles tunes are built around the basic open chords and the book matches the tunes pretty well. Someone around here dissed the Eagles recently, but those guys were incredible songwriters...

A lot of the books you buy at the record store or whatever don't have much in common with the versions of the songs you're probably familiar with. However, you can find just about anything you're interested in on www.olga.net.

Good luck, and have fun! thumbsup2.gif

I happen to know that Jack Ruby played a pretty mean ax.....

oswald.jpg

Yes, I know, this is in terrible taste. But the power of Christ compelled me.

Fortunately, I can't take credit for this particular photo-manip.