• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

How did I find this forum. hm Glad I did. I didn't want to go though all the posts, but is there somewhat of a consensus on what this will sell for? Think a board member will win? Perhaps a lurker? Anyone know the current owner?

How did I find this forum. hm Glad I did. I didn't want to go though all the posts, but is there somewhat of a consensus on what this will sell for? Think a board member will win? Perhaps a lurker? Anyone know the current owner?
not sure who the owner is, though someone probably knows...

one thing we find is there is "rarely" a concensus on ending price... we have hit some right on the heard (to the dollar, almost) and we have been hundreds of thousands of dollars off... just too many variables...

also, not sure which boardie would be interested in a 250K copy of batman 1 that is actually going after it (I am out for sure, but I can't speak for anyone else)

Question: Is this the next million dollar comic ?? Is it possible at all in anyone's opinion ??
I would be shocked if this particular copy hit 250K

Interesting. So you think that in this era of skyrocketing GA prices, this copy will sell for less than its peer did several years ago?

in a vacuum, it should...only because the 280K copy clearly looks superior to this copy (to me)... no top edge chip, no erased "s", better pq, etc... and that copy took almost 2 years to find a buyer at 280K...

that said, this copy "should" sell for less, because while the number is the same, its eye appeal is a grade less to me ... however, while I would be "shocked", it certainly has the potential to blow past the previous copy's price... and it probably will (thumbs u

But that assumes that the $280K 9.0 copy would still go for only $280K in today`s market. If it would go for, say, $500K, then this "inferior" 9.0 copy could sell for $400K and still achieve a new record while also still being less than the better copy.

Not saying it would sell for anything close to $400-500K, those are numbers I`m just making up for illustrative purposes. I just don`t get the demand for Batman #1, just like I`ve never gotten the demand for ASM #1.

Supply of books does not create demand. Otherwise, there would be hundreds of Gerber 7s that would be more valuable than the top books. My love is batman 1 is the cover and the history. I like it better than a lot of golden age keys. You could also make that the argument that the Joker is the third biggest character in the DC Universe behind Superman and Batman. I think that would hold water at least in the non-comic book collecting community.

Also, I bet there is a 100 collectors or more for every one collector that would want a Batman 1 vs. a Marvel 1 or All American 16. So there is not enough supply.

Supply of books does not create demand.

It sometimes does in a roundabout way, because of hype.

The more items that might be sold, and the more people there are selling the item (or one very much like it), there will be more of a concerted effort to hype the item -- or the category of the item.

If a person has a Detective 27, and they see one sold for a million, they'll say "Hey, I've got a Detective 27 to sell. Maybe it's worth a little less because of condition, but hey it's still a Detective 27"

If on the other hand a person doesn't have a Detective 27, but has other high grade books, they'll say "Hey, I've got an 8.0 too. Maybe it's not worth a million 'cause it's not the first Batman, but hey it's still an 8.0*"

(*Or, "It's still one of the highest graded" etc)

Clearly, there's a lot more people in the 2nd category, so you'll see a lot more of the latter.

Also, I bet there is a 100 collectors or more for every one collector that would want a Batman 1 vs. a Marvel 1 or All American 16. So there is not enough supply.

100 to 1, eh? Yeah, that's not a ratio pulled out of one's rear. meh

5 to 1, maybe. 10 to 1, unlikely. 100 to 1? Um, no.

Yup, count me as 1 who has no interest in owning Batman 1 and would definitely rather have an AA 16. So now Flash105 has to go and find 100 collectors who would prefer Batman 1 just to balance out little old me.

The more items that might be sold, and the more people there are selling the item (or one very much like it), there will be more of a concerted effort to hype the item -- or the category of the item.

If a person has a Detective 27, and they see one sold for a million, they'll say "Hey, I've got a Detective 27 to sell. Maybe it's worth a little less because of condition, but hey it's still a Detective 27"

If on the other hand a person doesn't have a Detective 27, but has other high grade books, they'll say "Hey, I've got an 8.0 too. Maybe it's not worth a million 'cause it's not the first Batman, but hey it's still an 8.0*"

Clearly, there's a lot more people in the 2nd category, so you'll see a lot more of the latter.

Herds follow herds...an a feeding frenzy begins.

Yup, count me as 1 who has no interest in owning Batman 1 and would definitely rather have an AA 16. So now Flash105 has to go and find 100 collectors who would prefer Batman 1 just to balance out little old me.

Count me as # 1 of 100 to counteract little old you. :sumo:

lol

some folks are just contrary for contrary's sake

They've added the Trolley copy of All-American #16...

RADD36C52010319_17125.jpg

:o

:takeit:

that looks like a strong 6.0, doesn't it?

I believe this is the 2nd highest graded copy next to Verzyls M.H. Correct?
(thumbs u