• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

As long as there are Marvel zombies, there will be people who choose MC # 1 over Batman # 1 with regularity.

:headbang:

As long as there are Marvel zombies, there will be people who choose MC # 1 over Batman # 1 with regularity.

I'd guess that even the majority of Marvel zombies would choose Batman #1 first...I know I would. He's just too cool and well-known in comparison to Sub-Mariner and android Torch. :cool:

The extreme quality of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have almost gotten me into collecting Tecs and Batman... hm

I'd guess that even the majority of Marvel zombies would choose Batman #1 first...I know I would. He's just too cool and well-known in comparison to Sub-Mariner and android Torch. :cool:

The extreme quality of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight have almost gotten me into collecting Tecs and Batman... hm

:applause:

:applause:

Yes, well...but then I go to actually look at the books, see some of the particularly fruity Golden Age covers like the ones below, and then get completely disconnected from the Golden Age Batman for a few more months. :omeh

22-1.jpg29-1.jpg32-1.jpg41-4.jpg

well hell, if we're all listing books we want, here's my list, Santa are you listening? ;)

Action #1 through #100

Detective #1 through #100

Supes #1-100

Bats #1-100

Marvel Mystery #1-100

Sensation, Wonder Woman, Flash, All-American, etc.

Basically whatever Bangzoom has.

:gossip: marvel mystery 2-92 lol

as you tell, I'm not a Marvel collector. lol

well hell, if we're all listing books we want, here's my list, Santa are you listening? ;)

Action #1 through #100

Detective #1 through #100

Supes #1-100

Bats #1-100

Marvel Mystery #1-100

Sensation, Wonder Woman, Flash, All-American, etc.

Basically whatever Bangzoom has.

:gossip: marvel mystery 2-92 lol

as you tell, I'm not a Marvel collector. lol

I suspect you are more a man of "action"...or a "super"man (thumbs u

I'm a Marvel Zombie too, though I do appreciate some DCs (my run of high grade Classic covered Superman's will attest to that).

However, as "cool" as Batman and the Joker are, and as significant a book as Batman # 1 is, Marvel # 1 is still an upper echelon book as far as I'm concerned. I'd easily take that over a Bats # 1.

So as long as we're doing the Marvel #1 vs. Batman #1 debate again, let's also add the original art to it.

Those two books are the only major GA keys (so far) where a page of original art is known to exist. So which would you rather have - the Marvel #1 page (Subby story) or the Batman #1 page (first Joker panel page)?

I'm normally a DC guy, but I think I would take MC1 over Bats. I've seen too many Bat 1's, and to me the interior of the MC1 is much cooler looking. I'd also take the first 25+ issues of MC/MM over Bats any day. I've owned some of those Bats books myself, and I'd be the first to say those aren't the coolest looking books.

Also if its a MC1 from the first months printing (Oct39), then clearly no contest.

Is the art from Marvel #1 or MPFW #1?

Marvel #1 - last page of the Subby story. Sold at Heritage a few years ago.

Thanks. I couldn't remember which page it was.

It's a tough call.

Marvel #1. 1939.

:cloud9:

Batman #1. 1940, first Joker splash would be killer.

:cloud9:

If it was splash vs. splash I'd go with the Marvel #1 in a blink, but as it stands I'm torn. Possibly leaning towards the Everett piece simply because it is such a beautiful piece of line work.

So as long as we're doing the Marvel #1 vs. Batman #1 debate again, let's also add the original art to it.

Those two books are the only major GA keys (so far) where a page of original art is known to exist. So which would you rather have - the Marvel #1 page (Subby story) or the Batman #1 page (first Joker panel page)?

Has to be first Joker panel page

Of course it has to. Nobody loves Everett more than me, but a panel page of Subby vs. the first image in a splash of Joker? No contest. Subby will never hear the man count ten

However, as "cool" as Batman and the Joker are, and as significant a book as Batman # 1 is, Marvel # 1 is still an upper echelon book as far as I'm concerned. I'd easily take that over a Bats # 1.

First appearance of Joker and Catwoman is what does it...both of these villains have had more staying power than Subby and Torch. The #1 on the cover is just a little icing that tends to obscure the real reason this book stands out as a key. Ignoring supply and release dates, it's also why this book is 5x cooler than Spidey #1.

And the same arguement can be used when we talk about the incredibly lame Superman. Spidey, Bats are already miles ahead in terms of popularity and at this rate Supes will have as much significance as the Flash in a few more decades (especially if they keep making awful movies).

Of course it has to. Nobody loves Everett more than me, but a panel page of Subby vs. the first image in a splash of Joker? No contest. Subby will never hear the man count ten

Artistically the Everett page, which I saw in person, wins by a mile but even I would pick the Joker page.

Even I would take the Batman page.

I am a huge Batman fan and I would (and have) actually taken the Batman 1 over the Marvel Comics 1. I think when it comes time to put down the cash is the only time to truly determine which someone would pick. Until you are at that point, it is all "wishing". If you are not playing with real money, then it is all just master bation