• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman # 1 Blue label 9.0 to be auctioned on ComicLink again.

542 posts in this topic

I have called for notes on some restored books I considered - and the value-estimate usefullness on that info available is close to 'very slight'. Hands down: it is not very informative, not very detailed, and important parts of the restoe-description is some times simply missing ... but perhaps thats just me. I am not an expert on restored. I read the boards and pick up what I can ... thats what I do

it is of course, much easier to identify restoration out of a slab, but if you closely inspect a restored book , even in the slab, it is pretty visually telling

And now. Hush ... stay tuned for this bad boy:

Detective Comics #27 (DC, 1939) CGC Apparent FN/VF 7.0 Mod.

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7021&LotIdNo=41005

Comming to Heritage auction in may.

Looks like rusted staples + trimmed centerfold + interior lightened.

What could that go for? Any bold estimates ...?

And this got a moderate designation.

I never really understood what that is: moderate. Is it a little above slight? or on the other hand just one notch below extensive?

You're right on both guesses. It goes from Slight to Moderate to Extensive depending on the amount of work done.

It goes from Slight to Moderate to Extensive depending on the amount of work done.

Which one is Tall...Vente...or Grande?

And this got a moderate designation.

I never really understood what that is: moderate. Is it a little above slight? or on the other hand just one notch below extensive?

From what I can tell "slight restoration" generally means it's not actally restored in a way that most people outside the hobby would consider restored. Meaning, it often doesn't seem like the book's increased in grade or appearance.

But it has marks which would be acceptable if they defaced the book instead of improving of it (or leaving it unchanged), and repairs that would be acceptable in grade if left unrepaired (or perhaps even repaired with corrosive tape).

"Moderate restoration" means the same as what most people would call "slight." It has most likely been improved in apparent grade (though I wouldn't be shocked to learn that in some cases the books' grades were not improved, or were improved by just an increment or two).

Here, too, the "color touch" generally involves markings which would often be considered acceptable in grade if the same amount of ink were applied in ways that defaced the book instead of improving it or leaving it unchanged. And, as above, repairs with glue or rice paper that would sometimes be acceptable in grade if there were done with tape. From what I have seen any piece replacement usually gets it a mod grade, though I've seen some mods labelled with piece replacement when I know the pieces couldn't have been much more sizeable than pin-points. Though I've seen some with corners filled in.

"Extensive restoration" is a broad, broad field. But in general it seems to encompass books that have definitely been increased in apparent grade or appearance, maybe only a little but possibly by several or more increments.

An extensively restored book could be one that might have looked pretty close in its original form to the way it looks now (but had a number of technical flaws)

Or it could be a book that looked absolutely godawful in its original form. Or it could even be one that has an entirely recreated cover (although I understand that's happened rarely and that the new policy is to treat those books as if they are coverless)

From the ones I've seen (and it's not a small amount) that's my impression.

But I am sure some folks have studied it much more closely and extensively and may by now have figured out more precisely what triggers a Slight or Mod or Ext,

My understanding is that it depends on the amount of work done (which is subjective as the variables of what type of work done is infinite).

Any sort of piece replacement will generally keep a book out of Slight unless it is almost invisible.

More than 4 or 5 operations will generally land a book into Extensive (although if they are all very miniscule there is a possibility to stay in a "lower" category.

Again, no really black and white rules. Just a judgment call on the part of CGC based on their perception of how much work has been done.

It goes from Slight to Moderate to Extensive depending on the amount of work done.

Which one is Tall...Vente...or Grande?

Just say "Texas" and they will give you the biggest cuppa joe they got.

;)

I have an SA key that I bought slabbed in the 'slight' category. When I received it I was quite amazed to fing how little that was actually done:

2 dots of (miniscule) CT on the sharp edge of the cover. Not really on either the front cover or back cover but more on 'the sharp edge'.

And

1 extreeeemly miniscule dot of glue.

I mean it took me long time locate this work on the book.

Slight = v-e-r-y slight: at least on this book. (thumbs u

I have an SA key that I bought slabbed in the 'slight' category. When I received it I was quite amazed to fing how little that was actually done:

2 dots of (miniscule) CT on the sharp edge of the cover. Not really on either the front cover or back cover but more on 'the sharp edge'.

And

If someone had spilled glue on it or dropped a pen on it, the book would be worth ten times as much.

And

If someone had spilled glue on it or dropped a pen on it, the book would be worth ten times as much.

Sad but true :(

But then again: I got it for a song :banana:

Jeff I was looking at that and thinking how nice it looked for a detached cover book.

If the cover was Rick taped the cover back down would would the grade be then?

At 4.0, I'm not sure that tape would improve the grade. It's practically a sure thing when you start with a 1.0 to 2.5. But at this level, the grade might stay the same, or maybe a .5 improvement.