• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Megacon is coming........

75 posts in this topic

The convention center is a few miles from the airport, but its certainly in a decent area. I wouldn't worry too much about being mugged. As for accomodations, Orlando is full of hotel rooms, many dirt cheap...you should be able to find something nearby that doesn't break the bank.

The convention center is on International Drive and there is a shuttle service all along the road.

Plus there are a few Hotels and Restaurants right on International Drive.

OK, maybe not a few, more like SEVERAL HUNDRED. smile.gif

You shouldn't have ANY PROBLEM finding a hotel and place to eat, or shop, or see a movie, or go to bar, or........ you get the point.

plenty of food and hotels within walking distance if you really want cheap hotel use Hotwire.com I booked mine (Wyndham Resort) for $41 a night 1 mile from the convention center . There is every kind of food you can think of close by as well. Not sure of shuttle service from the airport as I've never flown in or out of orlando

So I have this free Southwest ticket that I need to use by end of march. And since I haven't been to a real comic show in 20 years and since they fly direct KC to Orlando, I was thinking I might buzz into town for the weekend.

Never been to Orlando so I have some questions? Is there a reasonable way to do this without renting a car? Meaning, can I get a hotel room within a mile or so of the show for around a hundred or less a night? That's in an area with restaurants, or bars that I can walk to and check out, without getting shot, mugged, or slabbed?

Any help would be appreciated!

John

Make sure you eat at Siam Garden-it is a fantastic Thai Restaurant. Just look in the local yellow pages for the address. On International Dr (i think) there are tons of restaurants- you should definitely check out one of the local Indian restaurants as Lin and I really enjoyed that dining experience.

Also- go to Islands of Adventure and ride the Spidey ride, Hulk rollercoaster etc.... awesome time. Buy your tickets on line and pay the extra money for express ticket which saves you waiting in line.

Have fun!

Did we decided on the 5th?

I haven't hear anyone else metion not being able to make it on the 5th, so the date could still be up in the air.

Steve, what day works best for you or do you have a preference 5th or 6th????

I can attend either day, but we need to at least get the date nailed down real soon.

Pick your poison ladies and gentlemen!!!

So far we have 4 votes for Friday and only 1 vote for Saturday!!! Does anyone have any problems with eating at the Crab House?????

I am going to have to set a deadline to decide the place and time so I can get the reservation set up in advance. I can probably wait until somewhere around the 1st of March, but I will let you all know for sure.

FYI- Please remember to post here if you are planning on attending, and additionally your choice for resturants if you don't like the existing suggestion.

Also the Movie idea is still a possibility since I can get everyone in for free and the theatre is right across from the convention center so let me know if there is any interest in that as well. I want to make this a fun time for all in my home town and I can even get discouns in to some of the big clubs on I-Drive like Matrix and Metropolis so any and all suggestions will be considered!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks!!! thumbsup2.gif

Anyone know how this convention is for comic books? It looks like it's really slanted towards SF and gaming. Will there be many comic dealers there?