• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Emerson visit to Orient New York - 1970's comic book conventions/orders

13 posts in this topic

Just had a great visit from Bill Emerson - one of the original Overstreet Advisers as some of you probably might remember...

I certainly didn't, as I was only 5 when the first Overstreet Guide came out...and didn't start buying it until he had stopped advising.

He happened to come to a yard sale of mine last year and introduced himself... today he dropped by to share with me a few mementos from the 1970's...and I thought I would take out the digital camera while he was showing me things and share them on the boards!

I should have made a video of his stories...pretty amazing

One was how he described setting up at a show in the early 70's with about 50 copies of each (almost all in very high grade) of X-Men #1, Avengers #1 and Daredevil #1... and sold them all for $5 each (at the end of the day ... he still had quite a few Daredevils left...

Here are some of the items he brought... Phil Seuling related items...convention programs and internal comic distribution related items. Also, hand written orders for comic books he received from various collectors around the country.. I have blocked out the names of the people ordering the books..although I don't think they would mind seeing the letter haha. The prices paid really are stunning...and is a testament to how much these books have appreciated in value .. as you already all know know..

He also dropped off a big pile of nice (mid to high grade) Bronze Age Spider-Man comics ... Scattered issues from about #51 up to #140 or so...

It just dawned on me...we were so focused on the items... I neglected to take a photo of HIM!

Oh well...another day..

That's a pretty giant order back in the day.

My parents came out for a visit recently and brought me some of my 1980s stuff from my room, including all my Marc's Comic Corner correspondence. Really wild to see all the hand-written letters from collectors who might see your name in CBG or your store listing in Overstreet. Really a charming hobby back then.

That's a pretty giant order back in the day.

My parents came out for a visit recently and brought me some of my 1980s stuff from my room, including all my Marc's Comic Corner correspondence. Really wild to see all the hand-written letters from collectors who might see your name in CBG or your store listing in Overstreet. Really a charming hobby back then.

Are you that Marc? I bought quite a bit from you back in the day. Then I sent you a giant order( for me) only to have my check returned with a note saying you were concentrating on opening a shop and had discontinued mail- order. Still have a few catalogs, including a great Gene Day Captain Marvel.