• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration, To DO or Not To Do... I ask the question

3 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I recently bought a few boxes at auction and low and behold there was both a Hulk 181 and a ASM 129! Excitedly, I started to grade them, only to find that there was a coupon neatly cut out of the back of each book. Coupons intact, these books would grade 6.5 easy. As they are, of course, they are only 1.0.

My dilemma is this. I do not plan to sell the books. The clipped coupons did not affect the story at all. The feeling among collectors seems to be very against restoration in almost any case. So, do you think it would be worth the time to find the coupons in other books (a standard Marvel coupon from the period) and the expense to have them professionally replaced in the books?

I have been collecting for many years, but have just found these boards. This seems to be a great and friendly resource. Thanks in advance for your responses.

John

Not to be rude, but those books aren't worth restoring.

To recreate the coupon would take several hundred dollars worth of work (Probably near $1000 for both). They would then be worth no more than they are now (most likely less).

Your money would be better spent on similar grade complete copies. You would probably be able to upgrade for less than it would cost to restore them.

If you just had some similar coupons cut out and attached, it would cost less, but wouldn't look all that great. They almost certainly would not match up on the outside and inside. Then the books would probably be worth less than they are now.

Good luck.

Yup. I'd keep those books as "readers" and just purchase other copies as "collectors." I don't think that FN copies of either of those two books are especially expensive and professional restoration is not cheap. So for the price of 2 restored books you should be able to own 4 unrestored books. That's what I'd do if it was me.

Steve.