• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All American Comics #36 in second episode of HBO's The Pacific.

16 posts in this topic

I watched the second episode of "The Pacific" tonight on HBO. Near the end of the episode Pfc. Leckie is sitting leaning against a palm tree writing about the experience on Guadalcanal. In a box next to him is a copy of (or replica of) All American Comics #36 March 1942. It's a little tough to make out. I had to pause it and reference GCD to figure it out

Kinda of neat, and I figured some of my fellow geeks here could appreciate it.

aa36.jpg

How is the series? As good as Band of Brothers?

So far, no, in my opinion. Top be fair, the first episode was dedicated to establishing the characters, so there wasn't going to be much action in it. This second episode was far better. I'm reserving judgement until I see the entire mini-series

what the heck is "the pacific" ?

HBO mini-series about Guadalcanal, produced by Spielberg and Tom Hanks.

It's about the War in the Pacific, not just Guadalcanal, although the first two episodes focused on that battle

what the heck is "the pacific" ?

HBO mini-series about Guadalcanal, produced by Spielberg and Tom Hanks.

It's about the War in the Pacific, not just Guadalcanal, although the first two episodes focused on that battle

(thumbs u

That's what I get for posting at 5:30am.

How is the series? As good as Band of Brothers?

So far, no, in my opinion. Top be fair, the first episode was dedicated to establishing the characters, so there wasn't going to be much action in it. This second episode was far better. I'm reserving judgement until I see the entire mini-series

It's going to be really different than Band of Brothers, focusing more on the stories of just a couple of guys rather than an entire company.

I've been pleased with the 1st two episodes. IMO, very accurate portrayal of how it went down in Guadalcanal. There were some little things they showed in Ep. 1 that gave me a good feeling about it. Like the Japanese soldier near the end who they try to aid and ends up dropping a grenade, that kind of stuff happened alot. Big difference from the Germans in that many German troops surrendered whereas the Japanese believed more in dying to the last man, kamikaze's, etc...

I did like how they finally started referencing in the 2nd episode just how krappy the equipment and rations were. Those guys literally were fighting with WW1 weapons.

The previews for Episode 3 looked kind of boring to me. My hope is they'll stick more to the battles and action side of things. The European Theater gets all the glory but the Pacific was just downright nasty. Peleliu, Okinawa, Iwo....I hope they get into all of this b/c it will give people a sense of how awful this theater was.

Yes, they will hit Peleliu and Iwo for sure. I haven't seen the episodes but one of the vets consulted and portrayed in the series was there for all of those. For those who watched The War on PBS, it's Sid who later became a doctor and was featured extensively with his sister in that series.

I did like how they finally started referencing in the 2nd episode just how krappy the equipment and rations were. Those guys literally were fighting with WW1 weapons

I noticed that, too. They were using '03 Springfields and water cooled .30 cals doh!

I did like how they finally started referencing in the 2nd episode just how krappy the equipment and rations were. Those guys literally were fighting with WW1 weapons

I noticed that, too. They were using '03 Springfields and water cooled .30 cals doh!

(thumbs u yeah, those guys got really got shafted. And it's no joke about them eating 20 year old rations either. :sick:

the US decided they needed to fight a two front war but decided to worry about the european front mostly. so the pacific..which was fought mostly with Marines it seems (poor bastards),got the second string stuff or were resupplied after europe. they may have never had to face winter like in europe but that climate and the japs made their life a different kind of hell!

i always felt sorry for the marines because they had to go in first and the army was used to mop up and hold islands. did they ever go in first in the pacific? probably because marines are a division ( or were) of the navy.