• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Vs. Muhammad Ali !!!!!

69 posts in this topic

I can't imagine anyone under 25 would be buying a Superman statue in any event.

I have two Superman statues. One is a likeness of him from Action #1( 1938), and the other is a replica of a WW2 cover. I can't think of a Superman cover after 233 I'd have any interest in,with the Ali special being the exception.

I might have to open up another shelf for Ali/Supes. hm

SupermanFigurines.jpg

:applause:

I have two Superman statues. One is a likeness of him from Action #1( 1938), and the other is a replica of a WW2 cover. I can't think of a Superman cover after 233 I'd have any interest in,with the Ali special being the exception.

SupermanFigurines.jpg

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!??!?! YOU ARE RUINING THE HOBBY!!!!!!!!!

:gossip: Nice statues! :)

SupermanFigurines.jpg

Steve, I never did get the chance to ask: who is your favorite character?

Paste Pot Pete.

Still waiting for the statue. :sorry:

Good anwser! :grin:

That would be a great statue if they kept to the original costume and tried to make it look as Ditko influenced as possible.

Paste Pot Pete.

Loved your reply. lol

Paste Pot Pete.

The way the hobby is headed they might never come out with one.

Maybe they'll give them away with Whiz #2(1) one day.

:cry:

While the statue is cool, this is yet another example of adult nerds ruining the hobby for anyone under 30.

This comic came out in 19-freaking-78!

How is it ruining the hobby? There are plenty of other comic related items that younger kids can buy and appreciate. (shrug)

I remember buying that book in the mid to late 70s, along with all the FFE outsize reprints of classic GA premier issues. I would've been about 14 by this point.

Those Famous First Editions may have been more iconic books than Supes vs. Mohammed Ali, so it's not quite an accurate comparison, but the hobby was enhanced rather than ruined for me by those so-called "adult nerds" because of them. meh

While the statue is cool, this is yet another example of adult nerds ruining the hobby for anyone under 30.

How is it ruining the hobby? There are plenty of other comic related items that younger kids can buy and appreciate. (shrug)

I remember buying that book in the mid to late 70s, along with all the FFE outsize reprints of classic GA premier issues. I would've been about 14 by this point.

Those Famous First Editions may have been more iconic books than Supes vs. Mohammed Ali, so it's not quite an accurate comparison, but the hobby was enhanced rather than ruined for me by those so-called "adult nerds" because of them. meh

Like the article said,it just introduces another generation.......hopefully....

Like the article said,it just introduces another generation.......hopefully....

No, I am sorry, JC knows everything and everybody here is WRONG!

OH NOSE 'D HOBBY'S GONNA DIE!...

:ohnoez:

Haven't you learned yet...

With JC, you can't win...

If it's about moderns it sucks -

and if it's about vintage comics it's for bread stick arm fanboys!

:grin:

Sure you can...you just have to be as stubborn as he is. ;)

Haven't you learned yet...

With JC, you can't win...

:grin:

Sure you can...you just have to be as stubborn as he is. ;)

Stop spreading your quantum mechanics filth, science freak.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEEEEEEPLLLLEEEEEEEE.

It's strange that you fail to realize that where Marvel and DC are concerned, it's the SAME THING. doh!

I'm curious what his explaination might be though. I suspect the man drinks heavily of the haterade. But if he thinks a statue of Superman squaring off agaisnt Ali really is ruining the hobby, I would love to hear the reasoning.

Because where Marvel and DC are concerned, everything seems to be dredged from the past. Old characters are revamped, old storylines are regurgitated, characters dead for decades suddenly come alive, old Elseworld and What If tales are redone in regular issues, retcons of old material abounds, etc.

In terms of mainstream comics, it's 99% related to what was new in the 60's and 70's, which naturally correlates to the current readership of aging geeks, and the eventual demise of our hobby.

This statue of a 1978 comic is yet another example of "give the old nerdboys what they want", which is an extremely short-sighted business strategy that will ensure comics die with us.

[but the hobby was enhanced rather than ruined for me by those so-called "adult nerds" because of them. meh

I'm not sure I understand, are you under 20?

If not, then what are you talking about, as the "adult takeover" of the hobby is a relatively new thing, starting from about 1990 til its apex in 2000 or so.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!??!?! YOU ARE RUINING THE HOBBY!!!!!!!!!

Of course he is, and I bet he's smart to realize it, but like many people he doesn't care.

It's like when you go shopping for clothes or shoes, you can either think about all those little kids chained to a slave labor camp, or think about how cool you'll look in them - your choice, but it doesn't change the reality of child labor one bit.