• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,281 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2022 at 1:24 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I got something really special to share-  the magnitude of the book is only exceeded by the generosity of my friend Dave out of Detroit—a long Long time collector of top shelf horror magazines and books—like right off the rack in the sixties/seventies collector to give you an idea.  
Well, he sent this to me out of the blue and it arrived yesterday.  I’m still processing his extremely kind gesture.  Even if a beater, I’d have treasured what is a kind gift from a friend, but this copy  isn’t that—  A conservative grade range would be 9.2-9.6 as you would’ve found it on the store shelf back in 1965.  

I did nothing to deserve it or earn it.  A random act of generosity you just seldom see.  

To those maybe not familiar with this book, it’s an original painted cover by the master himself - Frank Frazetta - pre-Warren work if I have my facts straight

Im humbled by Dave’s generosity.  This hobby holds some incredible people- many on these threads— …well enough already,  I excitedly post  what I hope will be to your enjoyment 👍🏻

4CCC6D69-0AF2-42C8-B0C2-EA22C34D42DA.jpeg

1A633DCB-7258-433B-B4F1-FD73CD2A89C7.jpeg

6EFA5654-F33D-457E-BB2C-A1D7FD9AE48B.jpeg

80B3EADF-1DF4-4E31-8AD7-2CAFBCB63740.jpeg

That is so cool super sweet. Thanks for sharing it. (thumbsu

Edited by Artifiction

On 7/9/2022 at 12:24 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I got something really special to share-  the magnitude of the book is only exceeded by the generosity of my friend Dave In Detroit—a long Long time collector of top shelf horror magazines and books—like right off the rack in the sixties/seventies collector to give you an idea.  
Well, he sent this to me out of the blue and it arrived yesterday.  I’m still processing his extremely kind gesture.  Even if a beater, I’d have treasured what is a kind gift from a friend, but this copy  isn’t that—  A conservative grade range would be 9.2-9.6 as you would’ve found it on the store shelf back in 1965.  Please pardon the glare! The images don’t do it justice but I couldn’t bring myself to remove this from the Mylar 

I did nothing to deserve it or earn it.  A random act of generosity you just seldom see.  

To those maybe not familiar with this book, it’s an original painted cover by the master himself - Frank Frazetta - pre-Warren work if I have my facts straight

Im humbled by Dave’s generosity.  This hobby holds some incredible people- many on these threads— …well enough already,  I excitedly post  what I hope will be to your enjoyment 👍🏻

4CCC6D69-0AF2-42C8-B0C2-EA22C34D42DA.jpeg

1A633DCB-7258-433B-B4F1-FD73CD2A89C7.jpeg

6EFA5654-F33D-457E-BB2C-A1D7FD9AE48B.jpeg

80B3EADF-1DF4-4E31-8AD7-2CAFBCB63740.jpeg

That's a great looking copy of a book that's getting pretty tough in high grade.  Nice pickup!  :applause:

On 7/9/2022 at 12:36 PM, Rip said:

Managed to snag these 2 Skywalds.

I've never seen Nightmare 16 in decent shape for sale, like EVER!

So I had to grab it.

Nightmare 17 is another one I've needed as well.

(Edit yep, just checked the CGC census. Nightmare 16 has 1 in 9.0 and 2 in 8.0, that's it)

nightmare16.jpg

nightmare 17a.jpeg

Man RIp,

That 16 is What I would consider the best of the most overlooked Skywald mags…and I’m sure it’s only overlooked because you just don’t see them come up like the one you got there. Amazing find!

You had to have dug deep to find that 16…you could go a lifetime or two without finding one near as nice -bravo Guy👍🏻(worship)

On 7/9/2022 at 12:52 PM, This is Who We Are said:

Man RIp,

That 16 is What I would consider the best of the most overlooked Skywald mags…and I’m sure it’s only overlooked because you just don’t see them come up like the one you got there. Amazing find!

You had to have dug deep to find that 16…you could go a lifetime or two without finding one near as nice -bravo Guy👍🏻(worship)

Thanks man! 16 was one of the most wanted on my Skywald list 9.0 or better.

I can't remember but I think Jay or Oakman has a really nice one of these as well. 

You've had some great Nightmare snags yourself lately as well. (And Darkstar grabbed that 19, Amazing!)

Souring the earth for Skywalds is no easy task!!!:yeehaw:

Edited by Rip

On 7/9/2022 at 5:26 PM, Midcall said:

That wasn't a compliment lol

So you admit you're helping him cover up his shenanigans? hm

Actually, perhaps in another post, I will write about the shenanigans regarding the seller and this book that occurred with me. Still fuming and received another email from this seller last night so I will wait til my blood pressure drops and post. Any suggestions where to write it so I can get feedback as to whether I am overreacting?

On 7/10/2022 at 10:20 AM, Gregd said:

Actually, perhaps in another post, I will write about the shenanigans regarding the seller and this book that occurred with me. Still fuming and received another email from this seller last night so I will wait til my blood pressure drops and post. Any suggestions where to write it so I can get feedback as to whether I am overreacting?

Send it to me.  Glad to be a sounding board if it helps. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:20 PM, darkstar said:

Randall asked about the prices I paid for some of the books I posted in order to get some discussion going. Everything I post in this thread goes into my collection and there is no timeline to sell anything so I don't really have any issue disclosing such info. Anyway, the Vampirella 11 was $50, the Psycho 1 was $25, it has a spine split, and the Nightmare 20 was $400. Everything else was $20 or less. Regarding the Nightmare 20, it's a lot for that book, a good percentage of people probably think that falls somewhere between ridiculous or you simply overpaid. Originally I passed on the book, but I decided to buy it later for a few reasons. The census numbers are extremely low. It presents extremely well for the grade - the front looks NM+, the grade hit is due to fingerprints on the back. And I also found an extremely cheap run of the Resident Evil magazine that I will sell to help defray the cost. 

Thanks for sharing!