• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your Magazine collection.
27 27

8,269 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2022 at 6:10 PM, oakman29 said:

Oh my GOD I love that cover.😯

I like so many mags from my youth but I think I have the most fondness for these Skywalds. They more than any other mag just brings me back to a special place at the Jersey Shore during a hot summer. Walking up to the corner store and picking these up off the rack. They really were bizarrely different than any other mag out at that time. And of course, those terrific covers with those deep, rich inks that practically melted in your hands if you weren’t careful! :x

On 7/23/2022 at 6:36 PM, Jayman said:

Speaking of a hot summer, it got up to 99 here today. While in the pool with my grandkids, a package arrived early from the UK. Estimated arrival was to be Aug. 9, but found it’s way to my to my door and I rescued it from the oppressive heat! I do have nicer copies of this book but the price was right and the seller was kind enough to point out after the sale that he forgot to mention the 15p stamp on the cover. He was willing to refund the purchase because of it, but I said it was fine as I didn’t mind it. Too nice to pass up!

Nightmare # 15b.jpg

Nightmare # 15b Back.jpg

Speaking of tough in grade.....

On 7/23/2022 at 11:19 PM, bounty_coder said:

He was awesome and was able to scope and snag these two beauties for me 😍

7C2038E8-CBF2-40A6-94D9-ABFA2D4F8DCF.thumb.jpeg.57f3c954f14ce5a7421326ef1b6328b0.jpeg

Not often seen in slabs! Obviously a trend that’s changing. Great grades and pickups! I notice they got quite wordy on the labels, mentioning Lovecraft’s “Shoggath Chronicles” on the #9. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:24 AM, Jayman said:

I notice they got quite wordy on the labels, mentioning Lovecraft’s “Shoggath Chronicles” on the #9. 

I wonder who would commit to that level of research... @The Lions Den, this sounds like your handiwork!

On 7/24/2022 at 1:28 PM, The Lions Den said:

The Shoggoth story was new, Cintron made his professional debut, Darkos Mansion took place in the swampy goo, and due to a printing error, the same back cover appeared on some issues of Eerie #42...  :bigsmile:

(worship)

And don’t forget the cover to 9 was reused on Creepy 145!

On 7/23/2022 at 8:19 PM, bounty_coder said:

He was awesome and was able to scope and snag these two beauties for me 😍

7C2038E8-CBF2-40A6-94D9-ABFA2D4F8DCF.thumb.jpeg.57f3c954f14ce5a7421326ef1b6328b0.jpeg

What are the chances these show up in the famous, Bounty's Halloween Harvest of Horrors??? Asking for a friend :cheers:.   Man those are sharp...I'd say we all needs us some friends like the one who picked those up for you.  That's a solid buddy right there.

Edited by This is Who We Are

On 7/24/2022 at 4:45 PM, Jayman said:

and from what I understand, Skywald never copyrighted any of their work. So there was no consequences to using that cover.

Skywald actually did copyright their color comics, as I understand it, but not their magazines.  For reference:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3515

On 7/24/2022 at 5:21 PM, This is Who We Are said:

What are the chances these show up in the famous, Bounty's Halloween Harvest of Horrors??? Asking for a friend :cheers:.   Man those are sharp...I'd say we all needs us some friends like the one who picked those up for you.  That's a solid buddy right there.

I was not intending to, but I’ll have to evaluate them in hand compared to my best raw copies. If they are under AND have less eye appeal I would consider it. 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:01 AM, OtherEric said:

Skywald actually did copyright their color comics, as I understand it, but not their magazines.  For reference:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3515

I was wondering if the same applied to their color comics, but yes to clarify, I was referring to their magazine output. (thumbsu

On 7/24/2022 at 12:12 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I wonder who would commit to that level of research... @The Lions Den, this sounds like your handiwork!

To be perfectly honest, I can't remember if I entered that info or not. Most of the Skywalds are pretty scarce, and even at CGC they were uncommon. But I do remember having a conversation with one of the current magazine graders about the importance of this particular book...the unofficial beginning of the "Horror-Mood."  hm

FYI, @MrBedrockbrought some slabbed Skywalds to SDCC and had them for sale.

I don't recall the numbers but the grades I believer were generally 9.2 to 9.4s so maybe check with him to see if he has any that you need.