• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

63 posts in this topic

Personally I like the idea of having star ratings...

But I think they should be weighted based on the number of posts you have...

So if someone with 500 posts gave you 5 stars it counts more than someone with 5 posts...

If you're going to have a system at all (and most forums do) I think it's far more important what greggy, murph0, DARTHDIESEL, supapimp, ArAich, MajorKhaos, Rickdogg, povertyrow, joe_collector, gmarguli, BachelorOfComix, fantastic_four, tjennings, FlyingDonut, THE_BEYONDER, blowout, lighthouse, aardvark88, Bonds25, EVillageProwler, keithdagen, CaptainsOfIndustry, and drbanner have to say about a member than what 23 new shills have to say.

If the people who have been around a while think you're a valuable member of the community that means more than what a bunch of newly created shills think... and a system like that would discourage people from bothering to shill members down in the first place.

Set up a weighted system, you'd only need three or four plateau levels, maybe 25, 250 and 2500 posts. Make a rating from a 2500+ poster count 10 times as much as one from a 0 poster. Maybe a 250+ would be 5 times and a 25+ worth double... You'd probably see a lot more people with 4-star overall ratings that way (since most of the hating is done by shills). And it would mean more if someone had a 1-star rating...

Or if that code is too difficult to add, just don't permit users with less than 50 posts to rate anyone at all. If someone has enough free time to make 50 posts for each new shill just to try to rate someone down, I bet they get bored pretty easily...

But I would like to see the stars return in a better form...

'House

If you're going to have a system at all (and most forums do) I think it's far more important what greggy, murph0, DARTHDIESEL, supapimp, ArAich, MajorKhaos, Rickdogg, povertyrow, joe_collector, gmarguli, BachelorOfComix, fantastic_four, tjennings, FlyingDonut, THE_BEYONDER, blowout, lighthouse, aardvark88, Bonds25, EVillageProwler, keithdagen, CaptainsOfIndustry, and drbanner have to say about a member than what 23 new shills have to say.

I dont see my name in the list?

Why?

the stars, while a nice idea, wasn't working.

the fact that only ONE poster out of ALL USERS was rated with 4 or more stars on a 5 star system (valiantman - and i noticed he was shilled down to 3 in recent days) is plenty evidence that the stars really were meaningless. EVERYONE that was listed by lighthouse, really should be rated 5 stars in a system where there's over 3000 registered users.

effectively however, it was a system of either 2 or 3 stars - cause most anyone who was rated a 1, would eventually be bumped to 2 again. and no one would allow anyone else to get to 4.

so u only had 2 or 3 stars, when the system is supposed to allow 5 levels of grading.

as such, the star system was basically failing. the modifications suggested by lighthouse - while they would add legitmacy to ratings, also add a level of "inequality" because you get into the issue of certain people's opinions counting more than others.

while you CAN begin to defend that system to some degree (e.g. lighthouse citing the "legitimate users" that he cited) - it's far from being an impartial system.

Why?

You're not on the first page of the VIP List. And honestly, I think your butterface babe test pics hurt you too. frown.gif

Why?

I just pasted the top 25 most active accounts (minus the two currently inactive, Bugaboo and CI)

The fact remains I care more about ANY active poster has to say than I do about what a shill account says.

And believe me, the stars if used correctly DO mean something. When newbies join a board and see that a person with a high rating is arguing with someone who has a low rating they have an immediate sense of the board. We have a lot of lurkers here and new members signing up all the time... I recently joined a video game board that uses the same kind of system we do, and there was a guy stirring up trouble who had a 2-star rating. When a guy with a 5-star rating showed up and asked him to calm down, it was apparent that the board did try to maintain a civil tone. A well-respected member was asking him to hold his tongue. It was also apparent that the 2-star guy was not respected by the board. So when he said something really stupid it was less likely that a newbie like me would judge the board by his statement.

Most boards I frequent that have star ratings have lots and lots of members with 5-star ratings. We have dozens of posters here who deserve that status. But shills are used here to punish everyone. That isn't the case elsewhere.

I recently joined a video game board that uses the same kind of system we do, and there was a guy stirring up trouble who had a 2-star rating. When a guy with a 5-star rating showed up and asked him to calm down, it was apparent that the board did try to maintain a civil tone. A well-respected member was asking him to hold his tongue. It was also apparent that the 2-star guy was not respected by the board. So when he said something really stupid it was less likely that a newbie like me would judge the board by his statement.

Starting trouble on the Mario Game Kart boards, eh? tongue.gif

I wonder how many individuals will go on a mad posting spree to make the "VIP" list?

wessonoil37 should make the first page soon... since CI doesn't post any more...

but that first page is tough to crack... you either need to argue about politics all day long, or post lots of gremlins, or have way too much free time...

or you could just be really cool like me... smile.gifstooges.gif

I hope so. I don't think they served any real purpose here. stooges.gif

What? Driving certain people crazy worrying about their "star status" wasn't a real purpose? 27_laughing.gif

no matter what people say about not caring what other people rates/thinks about them, nobody, and i mean nobody likes to be disliked....not even danny boy. insane.gif

I hope so. I don't think they served any real purpose here. stooges.gif

What? Driving certain people crazy worrying about their "star status" wasn't a real purpose? 27_laughing.gif

no matter what people say about not caring what other people rates/thinks about them, nobody, and i mean nobody likes to be disliked....

"Nobody likes to be disliked?" What the heck does that have to do with this useless, totally skewed message board star system? The stars on this board were manipulated by shills to the point that they were completely meaningless. Because of the behavior of a handful of folks, there was nothing of value in them at all. All it took was to annoy ONE person and you were in a star hole. Why bother paying attention to them at all?

Which isn't to say that I'd base my own well being on my star rating even if the system were perfect.