• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencils blueline question

5 posts in this topic

I was just on ebay and looking at some art the inker of a comic is selling. He said the artist made a thumbnail, scanned it, enlarged it, prints in blue, tightens them in pencil adding more detail, and then the inker does his stuff.

So wtf, is the thumbnail the real OA or does adding more pencil to a blueline the real OA?

Crazy.

If the artist blew it up, penciled it and sent that page to the inker, then I would call that the OA and the other doodles prelims.

If the artist blew it up, penciled it and sent a SCAN of that page to the inker, then it's really debatable IMO, but more than likely the penciled page.

It's weird. He doodles, scans it, pencils over that with more detail then sends it to the inker. So there is pencil and ink on the same page. So maybe the original the artist did is the prelim. Hmmm

There is no one definition of OA.

Even a piece inked from pure printed bluelines is original art. It has original inks, just no pencils. People have made arguments about color guide. It has original art in it, but its the colorist.

So in your example, both the penciller and inker have touched the final page used for printing. I don't see why you would not consider that OA.

In this hobby, pencillers do have a stronger following than inkers, that's why blueline art is regarded lower, but what if it was joe blow penciller's bluelines that Bill Sienkiewicz inked over, would people still say its not original art?

Malvin