• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 First Coppers

30 posts in this topic

(First Comics is one of my all time favorite companies. If I collected companies, it would deff. be one I would) along with Capitol, Now, Solson (yes, Solson), Blackthorne, (yes, Blackthorne) and a few others that don't immediately come to mind.

My favorite part of Blackthorne is that it was just Steve and Bill Schanes publishing comics again after Pacific went bankrupt.

(thumbs u

And I'm not sure it wasn't much more than a laundering operation. lol

Here are my favorite First series:

1. Lone Wolf & Cub (one of the best series in the history of sequential art...)

2. Badger

3. Michael Moorcock adaptations: including Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum minis

4. Grimjack

5. Dreadstar

6. American Flagg!

7. Nexus

8. Jon Sable, Freelance

9. Eric Shanower's Oz Graphic Novels

10. Starslayer (including first Rocketeer and 2nd Groo)

I am only a handful of issues away from having the whole Publishers run. :D

What...?

It's a company.

:acclaim:

Hey....I could have gone with Aircel, or Adventure, or Northstar.

Can any of you even NAME 10 books for any of those companies..? ;)

For Aircel I could have probably named 10 about 15 or so years ago. Can't remember most of the names anymore.

I always liked Aircel. I thought they were a cut above some of the other 80s indy drek.

Denis Beauvais' art on Warlock 5 was top notch.

4. Grimjack

8. Jon Sable, Freelance

10. Starslayer (including first Rocketeer and 2nd Groo)

These are all personal favorites. Great Tim Truman work on Grimjack. Awesome Grell on Sable and Starslayer. (in addition to Aragones' Groo)

My favorite original First books would be Jon Sable and American Flagg.

Lone Wolf was a reprint, and Nexus, Badger , Starslayer and Dreadstar all started elsewhere and ended up being published by First.

It was a great little company.

My recommended comics from the first the comics company.

This is one overlooked company by the so called comic historians.

Just from pure memory and limited writing time(so excuse the spelling).

The first comic purchased was a Warp #1, I remember a great Frank Brunner cover, unfortunately that`s all I remember about Warp.

ok, now let`s get to th meat and bones of First.

These next series which currently are worth nothing moneywise but are a goldmine for reading. If you go back and read most other stuff from other companies from this era, it is severly dated, not so with some of these First series.

Let`s look at a few.

Jon Sable my favorite of the bunch, this is Mike Grell grown up, stuff he couldn`t do with Warlord. This book is on par with Green Lantern/Green Arrow Neal Adams storywise dealing with social issues,One of my favorite scenes till this day is when Sable finds out who killed is family and gets his revenge. I highly recommend this series and there are tons of trade paperbacks and hardcovers on Amazon that reprint these.

American Flagg for one year on a par with the Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. another classic. Highly recommend.

Grimjack and Nexus are also would next as great reads.

Most of this stuff has been reprinted by IDW and can be found on Amazon or Ebay in nice condition.

I am surprised not one of the First characters has not been picked up by Hollywood recentally and been turned into a Hollywood blockbuster.

I could go on and on about other First series but will save that for another post. ;)