• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK all you Variant Kings!!! I beg of thee to pour knowledge on me!

17 posts in this topic

I had a co-worker come to me and say I have all 30cent variants what are they worth. So my question to you variant bounty hunters is if all these books are in VF/NM condition what would a complete set of 30 cent variants sell for?

...Now I haven't seen these with my own eyes yet but I'm hoping to this weekend, because Jim has a way of stretching the truth sometimes.

Thanks for the help Darth and rest of you Variant Gods! acclaim.gif

I had a co-worker come to me and say I have all 30cent variants what are they worth. So my question to you variant bounty hunters is if all these books are in VF/NM condition what would a complete set of 30 cent variants sell for?:

There are only two known sets and both of those people post on these boards. It'd be interesting to discover a third, to say the least.

As for valuation a full set in true VF/NM would be worth a lot of $$. Many thousands of dollars. True VF/NM copies would be eagerly scooped up. Many "common" issues might bring $100+ and the more desirable/rare books would multiply that. You would also have to go no further than these boards to get top prices for many of them.

That's a lot of ifs though.

I don't think a complete set of 30 cent variants has ever been sold as a lot. As far as I know there are only 2 people (at least on these boards), that have a complete set. 4gemsworks is one book away, Darth is 4 away and I still have 10 left to go. 893frustrated.gif

While I don't want to doubt your friend, some of the 30 cent variants are VERY

hard to come by, especially in high grade. You can check out silver & bronze's site for exactly which books I mean (just do a google search for 30 cent variants).

For the most part, the rare books are the Western & Horror reprints (Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, Ringo Kid, Chamber of Chills etc.).

If he really does have a complete set, and would sell it as such, I would estimate it's value at about 5K, but that's just a guess. It could go either way...I advise you to make sure he really has all the books before getting too excited. Oh the stories we all have on false variant leads...

By the way, any sales of books we need, would obviously be profitable... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

so if your friend does have a few and wants to sell, drop me a PM and maybe we can take it from there.

The only thing I can tell you I know about Jim for sure is he is 58, has collected comics for many, many years (since childhood).

Knows nothing about what they are worth. ( I told him what I sold my ASM 300 for and he couldn't believe it, in his words..." I always collected because I liked to read them never because I thought I could make money off of them")

I was talking about what a hulk 181 (sorry guys) is worth and he just chuckles and says I have all the hulks from beginning to current. ( and he brought into work a hulk 181 that would be an easy 9.4 by CGC)

the only thing about Jim is he like to stretch the truth a bit sometimes so I'm waiting to see if this is a stretch. I figure if I tell him what its worth $$$$ he might just be tempted to invite me over to gander at them. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I will keep all you guys posted as variants are not my thing, but if I can talk him out of it (if its real) I will let you guys know first. thumbsup2.gif

I tried to talk him out of his hulk collection but that was his baby so maby this one he will part with.

A complete set would probably bring $4-6K, given that there are several books in there that are very hard to find. Ask him if he has this:

rawhidekid134.jpg

I would be shocked if he has a full set. It'd be possible, but I'd be shocked.

I believe it would depend on where the collector bought his books - if these are off the shelf picks from when he was 31, he must have been buying in a test distribution city.

Or they may be all pence variants or diamond logo price variants? but if he does have them, and in beautiful shape, that would be great ! 893applaud-thumb.gif If he is looking to sell as a set then, and they are true NM's, he'll find several offers on the table just from the forumites...if I bought it, I'd upgrade and sell off dupes, just to blow them out and cover some of the costs...

A complete set would probably bring $4-6K, given that there are several books in there that are very hard to find. Ask him if he has this:

rawhidekid134.jpg

I would be shocked if he has a full set. It'd be possible, but I'd be shocked.

Yes he has this book, This is how I found out about his variant collection, we was talking comics one day and he was saying how the westerns was his fav along with hulk.( And at this time I just had a deal go sour on this same book I was trying to get for a forum member from someone else.) So I asked him about this book and he said I know I have it and thats when he told me about his collection then brought that book in to rub it in my face a bit. (and I bet him lunch he didn't have it.) I started the offers then but no luck yet, thats when he said find out what its worth and maybe I'll let you sell it for me. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

So that brings me here asking one of my favorite avatars from some of my favorite movies how much can I make with a rare lot like this?

If he has a complete set and it was all bought off the racks, i'd rather hear about the origins of the collection! that is some story wating to see print in a post from you... smile.gif

If you can secure the last 4 I need, I'd be appreciative and make it worth your time. I know Glenn has theKid colt 209, Rawhides 133 and 134 I need as well but the ringo Kid 28.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ok, guys the results are in.......This guy does have 100% of the 30cent variants. It's a very long story but to make it short, He and his younger brother collected comics. His younger brother was the know it all collector and was the actual one who collected the variants. His brother passed away and left his collection to Jim.

This dude has a kick 893censored-thumb.gif Collection. I told him all about CGC and the money He could make but He has no interest in selling any. foreheadslap.gif So now I'm trying to get him to at least join the crowd on this board because He has some great stories too.

So we will see!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Where is the guy located? Would be interesting to see if he bought the books off the rack or if they were gathered like the rest of us. Grand Rapids, MI was a test market, so some could have come down. Wow!

ok, guys the results are in.......This guy does have 100% of the 30cent variants. It's a very long story but to make it short, He and his younger brother collected comics. His younger brother was the know it all collector and was the actual one who collected the variants. His brother passed away and left his collection to Jim.

This dude has a kick 893censored-thumb.gif Collection. I told him all about CGC and the money He could make but He has no interest in selling any. foreheadslap.gif So now I'm trying to get him to at least join the crowd on this board because He has some great stories too.

So we will see!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Technically he and his brother were the first to complete the 30 cent variant collection, shocked.gif perhaps unwittingly if they were Marvel zombies and just had the 30 cent variant available on the racks in their area. I wouldn't expect him to sell at all given the circumstances but I would be thrilled to see him on here and posting about his and his brothers' childhood experiences. There is something admirable about holding onto comics for sentimental reasons such as this. Hopefully if the CGC registry finally creates a 30 cent variant set, then we can all have a fun contest, comparing and trading for upgrades and dupes smile.gif

Cool Donut, I didn't know Grand Rapids was a test market. That could be where his brother picked up alot as they were born and raised in Detroit. I'm at work right now and showing him the messages on the boards here. ( well all but greggy's hi.gif)

Maybe I can get him convince to tell a few tales.

Rich