• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiction House Blues

31 posts in this topic

I collect high-grade Fiction House and I passed on a lot of these books because -- on my computer screen, at least -- the cover colors lacked the snap-crackle-pop of that red dress on the 33. Despite the CGC grades, the comics looked faded. Anyone else have a similar take?

2560263927_ab5441e82b_b.jpg

I find that Fiction House covers don't have the brilliant colors that DC, Timely and Star have. But they are more like water colors compared to oils. Less brilliant but subtle shades and more detail in the background make them a treat.

bb

I collect high-grade Fiction House and I passed on a lot of these books because -- on my computer screen, at least -- the cover colors lacked the snap-crackle-pop of that red dress on the 33. Despite the CGC grades, the comics looked faded. Anyone else have a similar take?

There has been many discussions over the years here about the depth of color, or lack of, on Fiction House books. You may want to check the other Fiction House thread to see if you can find any. Personally, I'll take a rich 8.0 over a faded 9.2 any day.

>> I'll take a rich 8.0 over a faded 9.2 any day

Amen, brother. The "faded" ones, even when technically high grade, don't have the eye appeal. As someone else aptly put it, they lack that snap,crackle, pop. I think it reflect the lack of quality control FH had for their print runs. They just didn't care.

At one time I owned the top two copies of Rangers 23, both in 9.0. Here's a comparison on part of the cover:

rangers_comparison_2.jpg

My own humble offering of Fight Comics includes some juicy tidbits IMO:

four_fight.jpg

I don't have scanner so this isn't the best picture since the flash fades the colors a little, but you can recognize in a split second that the one on the right has much better colors. Best seen in the color of her dress. In person the one on the left has an orange dress and the one on the right has a red dress.

p.s. Nice goup of fights above

11-18-2008040.jpg

When I was buying my Fight # 50, it turned out that two copies were on eBay at the same time. I kept the sellers' scans for comparison and needless to say, I bid on and won the one on the right despite the lower grade -

95652.jpg.ae154d17274d6d569dc63e9242661a63.jpg

95653.jpg.493411771578e48a6b3060d562e68b97.jpg

Part of the fun I get out of the Fiction House titles is trying to find the highest graded, best colored copy. It is certainly a title where you can justify paying more for a lower graded book.

Jungle09385.jpg

Jungle09392.jpg

Jungle09885.jpg

Jungle09892.jpg

Jungle10685.jpg

Jungle10690.jpg

>> I'll take a rich 8.0 over a faded 9.2 any day

Amen, brother. The "faded" ones, even when technically high grade, don't have the eye appeal. As someone else aptly put it, they lack that snap,crackle, pop. I think it reflect the lack of quality control FH had for their print runs. They just didn't care.

At one time I owned the top two copies of Rangers 23, both in 9.0. Here's a comparison on part of the cover:

rangers_comparison_2.jpg

My own humble offering of Fight Comics includes some juicy tidbits IMO:

four_fight.jpg

:takeit: on 75% of those. :cloud9: pm me when you want to sell. Pretty books

I'm back from Wondercon this evening. A few years ago, Fiction House books were really easy to find. Today, I didn't see many on the walls and the boxes reflected that trend. Mostly, I noticed Wings and Planets. Fights were scarce. My only Fiction House purhase was a Fight Comics 20 from Harley Yee.

(My other GA purchases included a few Nedors and a Fighting Yank. It appears the girlfriend likes the Schomburg airbrush covers. She also has a great eye for noticing defects in the books. She has the potential to be a great grader. I think she's a keeper.)

Fights were scarce. My only Fiction House purhase was a Fight Comics 20 from Harley Yee.

Prove it :sumo:

:popcorn:

FightComics20.jpg

No photos of my handing $$ to Harley, but he may remember selling me the book if you want to call him up.