• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret War: Book One

60 posts in this topic

Is Alex Ross's first work worth a premium? not really.

I'm not sold on this guy's work, but that's irrelevant because there's obviously people who love it.

The fact that this may be a major artist's first major work is also irrelevant.

Kingdom Come and Marvels also sold out, and they're not worth much over cover.

893applaud-thumb.gif

SECRET WAR #1 SOLD OUT, GOLD FOIL COMMEMORATIVE EDITION COMING

According to information sent to retailers, Marvel’s Secret War #1 is completely sold out, with no stock to fill backorders. Marvel has announced that it is going back to print on the firs issue, adding a gold foil cover to it at the same price.

Retailers can get copies of the new printing of Secret War #1 by placing an order for Secret War #2 that is larger than what they placed for #1 – ostensibly, retailers who ran out of copies of #1 would see that demand for the series is greater than they anticipated, and will therefore order more copies of issue #2. The difference between the retailers orders for #2 and #1 is the number of Secret War #1: Commemorative Edition that can be ordered.

893applaud-thumb.gif

And this tells us what...? yes, the book sold out, yes it's popular. buy 10 copies and you're making a mistake. buy the book because you like it and that's just fine. Let's see how issue 2, 3, 4 etc. perform as well. I have no doubt this book will spike in wizard... but for more than 6 months? I doubt it.

by the way, anyone want to buy secret war #1 for double cover? I have a line on about 50 of them... No? didn't think so.

buy the book because you like it and that's just fine

they are out there, on this forum, a few small bunch of members who love comics as a reading experience... wink.gif but they are like the loved 10.0 CGC gems: very rare to find!!! grin.gif

they are out there, on this forum, a few small bunch of members who love comics as a reading experience... wink.gif but they are like the loved 10.0 CGC gems: very rare to find!!! grin.gif

Don't think they are "truly" that hard to find since I think a lot of shops are holding back on some of their copies and planning to put them out as higher priced back issues as soon as Wizard gives the word.

This is why I was surprised when I went into my LCS across town yesterday and he still had almost 10 copies left on the shelf. Gave some thought to picking up a copy, but figured it was too expensive of a book to pick up a second copy.

Wasn't the print run relatively high on this particular book?

Don't think they are "truly" that hard to find since I think a lot of shops are holding back on some of their copies and planning to put them out as higher priced back issues as soon as Wizard gives the word.

This is why I was surprised when I went into my LCS across town yesterday and he still had almost 10 copies left on the shelf. Gave some thought to picking up a copy, but figured it was too expensive of a book to pick up a second copy.

I agree, i didn't pick up a second copy becose of the high print run.

Besides there's a SECRET WAR BOOK #1-GOLD COMMEMORATIVE EDITION on the wey gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree, i didn't pick up a second copy becose of the high print run.

Besides there's a SECRET WAR BOOK #1-GOLD COMMEMORATIVE EDITION on the wey gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thats the second print with a new cover

What planet are you from. Great art, great story. I travel alot and can not find an issue in any town. (east coast mostly) Look on ebay. Almost none for sale as of a couple of days ago. This is going to be one hot book with the gold issue being a dime a dozen 2nd print with a large print run. I expect great things out of this series similar to origin. IMO

I wouldn't.t discount the value of the Gold Foil Edition,...it could be a hot book in the short run,...look at the second print of Batman #612....that went for double the price of a 9.8 copy in first print and still does even now that it's cooled down....As far as specin on the Black copy...."If you grade it they will come".... Brian I think what you fail to realize a lot of times is that not everybody lives in a Metropolis like Philadelphia, where it's easy to find multiple copies of popular books from strong well established LCSs......there are fans out there who live in the middle of nowhere that have maybe one LCS in a 50 mile radius,...and the owner only ordered 6 copies cause that's all he could afford to be stuck with in case the book didn't sell......take a moment and step outside the box and look at this from their perspective,....these guys are happy to pay money on E-bay for a 9.8 copy of this book so that's where the demand is....

Edited due my own stupidity....

Gene I think what you fail to realize a lot of times is that not everybody lives in a Metropolis like New York, where it's easy to find multiple copies of popular books from strong well established LCSs.

I think you were responding to Foolkiller (Brian), who lives in Philadelphia, as I (Gene) had not posted on this thread before your post. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

what planet am I from? earth.

I've heard mixed reviews from a lot of people. The book is now sold out at most locations. There are one or two copies still floating about on the shelves on a few stores that I've seen. Here in PHILLY everything is now sold out. It was not an immediate sell out here as other areas have reported.

Look, the story is sub par and the art is overrated. Most people obviously disagree with me (as the book sold out). Although many people on other boards and those I've spoken to in the comic stores have had mixed feelings about the book. The book is a quarterly book hardly worth the price tag. I think I'll wait a year and a half or two years and buy the story when it's reprinted in trade. Heck, you'll be waiting that long anyway for the story to be finished.

This was a mediocre effort at best.

what planet am I from? earth.

I've heard mixed reviews from a lot of people. The book is now sold out at most locations. There are one or two copies still floating about on the shelves on a few stores that I've seen. Here in PHILLY everything is now sold out. It was not an immediate sell out here as other areas have reported.

Look, the story is sub par and the art is overrated. Most people obviously disagree with me (as the book sold out). Although many people on other boards and those I've spoken to in the comic stores have had mixed feelings about the book. The book is a quarterly book hardly worth the price tag. I think I'll wait a year and a half or two years and buy the story when it's reprinted in trade. Heck, you'll be waiting that long anyway for the story to be finished.

This was a mediocre effort at best.

Amen. And there are PLENTY O' copies out here on shelves in Kansas City.

Gene I think what you fail to realize a lot of times is that not everybody lives in a Metropolis like New York, where it's easy to find multiple copies of popular books from strong well established LCSs.

I think you were responding to Foolkiller (Brian), who lives in Philadelphia, as I (Gene) had not posted on this thread before your post. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

My mistake...Let me correct that...

Rocketeer:

The problem is that Philly is hands down one of the worst large cities I've ever been in for comics. It has primarily one store in Center City which stocks new items fairly well (Fat Jack's) but has a staff with one of the worst attitude's you'll ever encounter in any branch of retail and Showcase Comics on South Street (unlike its sister store in Bryn Mawr which is a fabulous store) where the store is ok but often sells out too quickly on new items. The management there is a little over confident in their knowledge of comics as I've heard them on more than one occassion give out blatantly bad info.

My point is that with regards to getting comics in Philly you have three options: two of which sell out of new books quickly (the other I didn't mention is Out of Time which has few books) and both Fat Jack's and Showcase had copies available. As I said, they did eventually sell out. I did see multiple copies of the book at Dewey's Comic City in Madison, NJ about a week and a half after release, although I'm not sure if they too eventually sold out.

Philly is no NY (in most things) when it comes to comic shopping options. It has a nice small consistent show... but for that, Philly would rate as one of the worst cities for comic books. It was a real surprise when I moved here.

I'm with Brian on this one. My shop still has aat least 10 copies (although they are in tune w/ curretn trends; they do have 10 copies of The Escapist left. But, you can talk to Lantern about condition tongue.gif).

Everybody was waiting for SW. It's hoarded. Don't think you're going to make your fortune on this book. No chance of it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm with Brian on this one. My shop still has aat least 10 copies (although they are in tune w/ curretn trends; they do have 10 copies of The Escapist left. But, you can talk to Lantern about condition tongue.gif).

Everybody was waiting for SW. It's hoarded. Don't think you're going to make your fortune on this book. No chance of it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Again Chis,..you're on the east coast near two large cities (Baltinore/DC)....how many comics shops do you have in a 10 mile radius?...I bet at least 4...think of all the fan-boys living in podunks throughout the midwest and south that don't have that luxury....

Again Chis,..you're on the east coast near two large cities (Baltinore/DC)....how many comics shops do you have in a 10 mile radius?...I bet at least 4...think of all the fan-boys living in podunks throughout the midwest and south that don't have that luxury....

I can think of three near me (within 20 minute drive).

I only know of one shop actually in DC, and none in B'more (although I'm sure they exist). There's Marc Nathan's store (about an hour from me, but only 15-20 min. from B'more). And Geppi has a store about 45 minutes from me (and 10 from downtown B'more).

Wow! I guess there are more than I thought. blush.gif