• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Secret War: Book One

60 posts in this topic

Yes. Good first issue. Agree w/ you on the art...beautiful. But, as Kev said in another thread, "Why is Spidey on the cover when he doesn't even appear or get mentioned?"

Chris

In addition to this, the cover of the latest Wizard states that "Wolverine leads the charge in Marvel's new Secret War." He must be leading from the background, because I did not see him either. I guess Marvel is tying to become the master of marketing by pulling out all of the stops.

I will also agree that the art was astounding. Dell'Otto's work is quite impressive.

Yes. Good first issue. Agree w/ you on the art...beautiful. But, as Kev said in another thread, "Why is Spidey on the cover when he doesn't even appear or get mentioned?"

Chris

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Didn't even realize that until you mentioned it. Guess it is Marvel's way of attracting attention to the comic.

Hmmmm....he must've been on a kick yesterday. I am aware of Axis Ape, and he was talking to another customer about it. What time did you go up there???

I've been meaning to take some of my slabbed books up there just to give them a hard time. Maybe next time.

Chris

I went to the store around lunch time. While I was there, John S. showed me a copy of Buzzboy that had a villain character named Axis Ape in it. He then showed me the GI Joe style character File Cards in the back of the book. Apparently, John is the credited creator of Axis Ape. He was pretty excited about it, and I must admit that it would be pretty cool to see ones own creation in print. If you ever get a chance you should ask him about it, the story behind Axis Ape is pretty interesting. A side note, he said that he had nothing to do with the Weinerschnitzels.

Yeah...I've seen the Buzzboy and heard the Axis Ape story. It is pretty cool. And a cool character as well. The other Jon was giving him a semi-hard time about it as he was talking about it. Whenever John S. said "Axis Ape", other Jon would say (very soft, low voice), "created by John S. Trademarked. Copyrighted." or something to that effect. Was pretty funny.

Chris

Whenever John S. said "Axis Ape", other Jon would say (very soft, low voice), "created by John S. Trademarked. Copyrighted." or something to that effect. Was pretty funny.

Chris

27_laughing.gif

Now that I think about it, I did get the feeling that the story was wearing on Jon's nerves a bit.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

How's the availability of Secret Wars #1 in the stores? There are lots of eBay auctions with "Sold Out" in the title already. Has it disappeared from the store shelves in your area?

Don't buy the hype. This is a spec-heavy book at best.

I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised.

How's the availability of Secret Wars #1 in the stores? There are lots of eBay auctions with "Sold Out" in the title already. Has it disappeared from the store shelves in your area?

Don't buy the hype. This is a spec-heavy book at best.

That doesn't really answer the question though.

It wasn't sold out at my LCS, but I went pretty early on Wednesday, so it shouldn't have been unless they totally screwed up.

Paradise ordered heavy for Signature Series, but of the ones they alotted for the racks there were only a handful left when I was there getting my books on Wednesday morning. I'm sure they were sold out by the end of the day.

They put in a quick reorder, but if everyone is selling out they may not get any more.

I know a couple of other stores that speculate heavily on these types of books, I'll try to see how it's been doing for them.

But overall, nearly two days later, I think I can safely say that I think Dell'Otto's work hurt the story more than it helped it. GREAT cover artist and PERFECT for prints and posters. As an interior artist he's clumsy and the art looks awkward - the phrase that comes to mind is "out of focus". I felt like I was squinting the entire time. I think this book would have been better with a solid veteran storyteller pencilling it like Bagley, or even Maleev would have done a better job with this. There once was a time where artists had to earn assignments like this one and you put your best one on it.... like a Zeck, a Byrne, a Perez, an Ordway, etc.

This should have been the project that Quesada came out of retirement as an artist for.

Kev

Just read it. It got me interested. I have not seen many good painted artwork comics that I enjoy (for example Wolverine and Havok meltdown) besides Alex Ross but the art was quite impressive considering this is his first work. I think it will take sometime to find his form. I do agree that it the reader does get loss in the artwork at times but a solid story so far with artwork very detailed at times. I think we can see where is this going: a secret military war with Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk, etc.

Just read me. It got me interested. I have not seen many good painted artwork comics that I enjoy (for example Wolverine and Havok meltdown) besides Alex Ross but the art was quite impressive considering this is his first work. I think it will take sometime to find his form. I do agree that it the reader does get loss in the artwork at times but a solid story so far with artwork very detailed at times. I think we can see where is this going: a secret military war with Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hulk, etc.

Iwonder if this will make spiderman more of a hard [!@#%^&^]

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif
But overall, nearly two days later, I think I can safely say that I think Dell'Otto's work hurt the story more than it helped it. GREAT cover artist and PERFECT for prints and posters. As an interior artist he's clumsy and the art looks awkward - the phrase that comes to mind is "out of focus".
27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif