• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Insanity!!!

148 posts in this topic

Just to be clear on my opinion. The older the book, the less likelihood of the census number doubling any time soon, if ever. Once you get up into the 1990s and on all bets are off. Census numbers of those comics could increase by ten fold or more.

Quick Hits:

1) Many people feel that there are still a lot of High-Grade copies of these Silver-Age Keys that aren't CGC'd. I also believe this. But, don't think that the high prices these books are getting now, will make the longer term collectors start to sell. Why?

Because the prices have been high for many years. So what if a year or two ago they could have sold it for $3K and now they can sell it for $6K. Do you really think they thought $3K wasn't worth selling it for. No. They didn't sell (or get the books CGC'd) because they are LONG TERM COLLECTORS.

2) Many of the older books selling on ComicLink are being flipped (i.e. not new submits). The JIM #83 in CGC VF/NM with the Cream to Off-White pages that has a pending sale of $16K, has been sold at least FOUR TIMES, in the LAST YEAR.

My Point:

We really have no idea how many HIGH-GRADE copies of these books are still unslabbed, and we definitely have no idea when they will be slabbed and sold.

sure. But the 122K question is how many HG SA books remain locked in collections not yet for sale and hence unslabbed? Istill think plenty, but less so on the keys. Many NMs from 10 years ago have magically turned into 7.5s under Borack et al's critical eys!

Quick Hits:

1) Many people feel that there are still a lot of High-Grade copies of these Silver-Age Keys that aren't CGC'd. I also believe this. But, don't think that the high prices these books are getting now, will make the longer term collectors start to sell. Why?

Because the prices have been high for many years. So what if a year or two ago they could have sold it for $3K and now they can sell it for $6K. Do you really think they thought $3K wasn't worth selling it for. No. They didn't sell (or get the books CGC'd) because they are LONG TERM COLLECTORS.

2) Many of the older books selling on ComicLink are being flipped (i.e. not new submits). The JIM #83 in CGC VF/NM with the Cream to Off-White pages that has a pending sale of $16K, has been sold at least FOUR TIMES, in the LAST YEAR.

My Point:

We really have no idea how many HIGH-GRADE copies of these books are still unslabbed, and we definitely have no idea when they will be slabbed and sold.

It is true that we have no idea how many HG copies are out there, but we can take an educated guess. The census number growth of most Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age comics has slowed to a trickle if at all compared to a few years back. We can all debate the reasons why and come up with different theories. Truth is that the slow growth of census encourages investment and speculation and drives prices higher.

sure. But the 122K question is how many HG SA books remain locked in collections not yet for sale and hence unslabbed? Istill think plenty, but less so on the keys. Many NMs from 10 years ago have magically turned into 7.5s under Borack et al's critical eys!

My raw VF/NM Strange Tales #110 that I bought 5 years ago came back CGC 6.5. I suspect that has happened and will continue to happen a lot and 9.X copies of key (and non-key) SA comics won't increase drastically because there isn't uddles of them in grade. The worse thing that could happen is that I am totally wrong and a crash will cause comic prices to fall so I can pick up cheap HG Silver and Bronze Marvels for pennies on the dollar. Either way I will make the best of the situation.

That person wouldnt buy a "First Hulk Crossover FF12" a year after the movie bombed.

I can think of 10 reasons why someone would want to buy this book, and NONE of them have anything to do with the Hulk-hype.

You'll notice that all of the FFs I mentioned showed up as Sale Pending within a few hours...the chance that there would be two seperate collectors paying out record dollar for these books, all within a very limited timeframe? My guess is that its a lot less then one uber-investor/collector doing so.

And yes, my suspicion is that it was the same fellow who bit the bullet on the AF 15.

okay...you got it... go ahead, Name that Tune! Give me ten reasons:

heres a few (w/o stretching too much)

filling in HG FF run

collects Hulk

collects Kirby

collects Marvel

collects SA

ummmmm

also, Many people check ComicLink repeatedly every day just BECAUSE books like this show up and can be bought before anyone else sees them. So its perfectly understandable to me that more than one HG SA collector snagged them. I was just making a point about the AF15 guy. I think he's done for awhile anyway.

1). High grade FF collector filling in run

2). High grade Hulk collector (1st Hulk crossover)

3). 1st Marvel cross-over

4). High grade early Marvel collector

5). High grade early Marvel collector/speculator of HTF books ("Census collector")

6). Classic cover collector

7). Fantastic Four movie hype (or buying "pre-hype")

8). Silver Age collector

9). Kirby collector

10). See Metropolis' 9.4 copy at $22K, and thinks $11K is a bargain (or at least in-line with market) for a 9.2 (comparative buying)

I have more if you wish.

As for your theory that the books were snatched up simulataneously by seperate buyers, I would say recent history is not in your favor. The known Big Guns have these books (just check the Registry), and few people in this business are in the $10K/per book statosphere, making the simultaneous sale of multiple books to a SOLE individual far more likely.

The worse thing that could happen is that I am totally wrong and a crash will cause comic prices to fall so I can pick up cheap HG Silver and Bronze Marvels for pennies on the dollar.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Someone pound some basic economics into this chump's head. makepoint.gif

The worse thing that could happen is that I am totally wrong and a crash will cause comic prices to fall so I can pick up cheap HG Silver and Bronze Marvels for pennies on the dollar.

Someone pound some basic economics into this chump's head. makepoint.gif

This coming from a bozo who already has been proven to be a speculator and not having a clue in the MS #5 thread. Exactly when was it you could sell a CGC 8.5 Hulk #181 and buy a 9.2 for less than that price a few months later? makepoint.gif Loved the clerical error excuse. 27_laughing.gif

Exactly when was it you could sell a CGC 8.5 Hulk #181 and buy a 9.2 for less than that price a few months later?

Banner may not have all the data, and since you're so cocky and 100% certain you're right, let's say you put up that MS5 if you're wrong?

Of course, you can't be wrong, so what's the risk?

Exactly when was it you could sell a CGC 8.5 Hulk #181 and buy a 9.2 for less than that price a few months later?

Banner may not have all the data, and since you're so cocky and 100% certain you're right, let's say you put up that MS5 if you're wrong?

Of course, you can't be wrong, so what's the risk?

JC I am not the one claiming a person could have sold a CGC 8.0 Hulk #181 (changed to 8.5 after you discovered clerical error) and could buy a CGC 9.2 Hulk #181 a few months later. You are. So put up or keep trying to avoid the issue.

JC I am not the one claiming a person could have sold a CGC 8.0 Hulk #181 (changed to 8.5 after you discovered clerical error) and could buy a CGC 9.2 Hulk #181 a few months later. You are. So put up or keep trying to avoid the issue.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Run away little girl, run away.

Start Intermission:

Banner may not have all the data...

You're correct. In fact, I don't have any of the data, which is why I followed your suggestion and checked GPA. Unfortunately, their database only has sales data for forty-seven 8.5's and fifty-seven 9.2's sold since last January...what does your database show?

End Intermission.

popcorn.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Run away little girl, run away.

You are the one with your panties in a bind who is unable to back up your claims. DrBanner put up his stats. Where are yours? Keep tap dancing around the issue Shirley Temple. You have zero credibility Spec_Boy.