• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stop the Insanity!!!

148 posts in this topic

He's stating facts and has data to back them up. Your stating opinion and have nothing to back it up. confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Here's what I want, and I have asked for SPECIFIC SALES DATA many times:

The Monthly High Sales Value for Hulk 181 CGC 8.5 (Sept 2002 to present)

The Monthly Low Sales Value for Hulk 181 CGC 9.2 (Sept 2002 to present)

Posting insufficiently_thoughtful_person averages are meaningless and insulting, and right up there with buying and selling stocks based on the monthly averages. 27_laughing.gif

Monthly Sales for Hulk 181 from GPA

8.5 Monthly Highs (September '02 thru January '04):

September 2002: (no sales)

October 2002: $690.00

November 2002: $689.00

December 2002: $695.00

January 2003: $795.00

February 2003: $725.00

March 2003: $675.00

April 2003: $860.00

May 2003: $800.00

June 2003: $889.00

July 2003: $909.00

August 2003: $824.00

September 2003: $700.00

October 2003: $1,006.00

November 2003: $1,063.00

December 2003: $649.00

January 2004: $913.00

9.2 monthly lows (September '02 thru January '04):

September 2002: $1,050.00

October 2002: $1,299.00

November 2002: $945.00

December 2002: $920.00

January 2003: $1,050.00

February 2003: $1,035.00

March 2003: $1,075.00

April 2003: $1,250.00

May 2003: $1,256.00

June 2003: $1,259.00

July 2003: $1,300.00

August 2003: $1,080.55

September 2003: $1,100.00

October 2003: $1,125.00

November 2003: $1,125.00

December 2003: $1,125.00

January 2004: $1,176.00

At no point is a "high" sale for an 8.5 higher than a "low" sale for a 9.2.

Thanks Donut, and it was likely late-Fall of 2003 when the $1000+ sales I remember, took place.

Now take a look at this recent auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221321686&category=33816

In no place did I EVER STATE that a CGC 8.5 copy sold for MORE than a 9.2, only that a flip was possible. If you want to quibble over the change I have on my dresser, then feel free.

I cannot believe that JC expects the other forum readers to take his unsubstantiated opinion as gospel truth, especially with zero quantitative proof to support any of it. Secondary to that, when drbanner posts hard evidence, at the behest of JC no less, it is then refuted as being wrong. What did JC use to support the claims that it is wrong, nothing but his written opinion. So, I am to understand and accept the fact that JC's opinion is more trust worthy than hard data. If that is the case then that assumption is nothing more than a slap in the face to all of the people that read these forums.

The real reason that I am making this post is due to the attacks JC has begun to make on drbanner. I have purchased countless raw books from Mike in the past and everyone of them has been accurately graded. There are countless lurkers and watchers that read these forums and they should not be mislead into thinking that Mike cannot grade. Ultimatley, Mikes grading is not the issue here and has been brought up as a futile attempt at misdirection and drawing attention away from the real issue at hand.

I'll just add a "me too" here. Typical "bad" JC at work, grasping at straws, side-stepping, dancing, avoiding the reality and absolutely refusing to give in an admit that he's wrong. I would have about 100x times more respect for the guy if he wasn't stubborn to the point of looking like a lunatic. It's really too bad because I too was starting to believe in the good "JC."

I'll also defend Dr. Banner specifically... I didn't catch the reference to his grading, but if that's somehow being called into question that's just stupid. Mike is one of the best sellers on eBay. There's no question about that. He's a great asset to the hobby- unlike some people I could mention whose sole purpose in life seems to be to wreck the hobby with bitterness. I guess the idea is "if I can't enjoy comics, no one can."

Thanks donut...case closed. thumbsup2.gif

Yep, for the change I have on my desk, you could have upgraded from a Hulk 181 CGC 8.5 to a Hulk 181 CGC 9.2 by selling in Oct-Nov 2003 and buying a few months later.

Not to mention putting over $200 in your pocket with a CGC 8.5 to CGC 9.0 flip.

That's win-win in my book, and you guys can pick gnat [!@#%^&^] from pepper all you want. Anyone holding a CGC 8.5 copy lost out on an opportune upgrade or profit opportunity, which was the point of the original thread.

JC.... just let it go already... Its so much easier to digest making a mistake (in judgement or memory or prediction) if you just own up and move on. This is getting embarrassing, even for you. Cmon. enough....

Nice advice, but he'll just keep moving the target post-mortem until he convinces himself that he was right. He's just a lunatic. We'd all be better off if we ignored ihm completely.

I'll just add a "me too" here. Typical "bad" JC at work, grasping at straws, side-stepping, dancing, avoiding the reality and absolutely refusing to give in an admit that he's wrong.

See, before banner twisted everything around (go read the original post where the whole Hulk 181 flipping conversation started), the main point was that movie-hype Hulk 181 prices were such, that I predicted that CGC 8.5 copies should be sold, and then later reinvested into a higher-grade copy when prices went down.

Go back and read it, as many disagree vehemently with me, and stated that prices would never fall.

Today, you could have taken that $1K+ sale from Oct-Nov 2003 and bought a CGC 9.0 copy and pocketed over $200 in cash, or gathered your change and bought a CGC 9.2 copy.

My original prediction held true, and Hulk 181 CGC 8.5 dropped, as did higher grade copies, making it a great time to flip and upgrade. Argue all you want about what banner has written, but first go back and read the entire threads to see what my original points were.

Sell now, buy back higher-grade later.

It's obvious this came true, and splitting hairs won't change it.

JC.... just let it go already...

You're right on that part. Banner is too good at warping my original comments from the previous thread, which was basically an argument about whether CGC copies of Hulk 181 would drop post-movie hype, and thereby allow you to upgrade to a higher grade copy.

Now it's turned into an argument over $40, and a ton of banner-fans holding those two twenties up like they're the Zapruder tape. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Nice advice, but he'll just keep moving the target post-mortem until he convinces himself that he was right.

Right or not, I'm far smarter than you dweebs.

You're disagreeing with what I predicted, which is:

Sell CGC 8.5's for $1K or more, then wait to buy buy a higher grade copy.

So you're disagreeing with pocketing $200-$250 profit, while upgrading to a CGC 9.0 copy a few months later.

And you're disagreeing with spending $40 on the flip, and upgrading to a CGC 9.2 copy a few months later.

If I'm WRONG, what does that make you for disgreeing with my original flip yer CGC Hulk 181's prediction?

That data is WRONG...

Oh, just more thing Joe - the word "data" is plural and the correct feint would have been to say "...data are WRONG...", but we all now know that's not true anyway, so it's a moot point.

Word...

mccoy.jpg

It has been interesting watching the "Market Crash Crew" trying to change their positions recently.

First we have Delekkerste arguing that strong sales (as well as weak sales) support his arguments of an impending crash, and also trying to re-define what he meant by "a crash". Now we have this crock of sh*t from J.C.

Thanks guys, truly entertaining stuff ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It has been interesting watching the "Market Crash Crew" trying to change their positions recently.

First we have Delekkerste arguing that strong sales (as well as weak sales) support his arguments of an impending crash, and also trying to re-define what he meant by "a crash".

Obviously you haven't been reading my posts very closely. Impending? Show me where I said there was an impending crash. Show me where I said this decline would not occur over a long, drawn-out period. Did I ever say that this would be a short-term event? No, never. All I have done recently is to try and get the pejorative word "crash" out of people's vocabulary because it does not accurately describe the scenario that I have consistently laid out on this Board - it implies a massive decline in a very short period of time in most peoples' minds, something I have never forecast. Guys like DrBanner, who disagree with me in the aggregate, can and have backed me up on this in the past.

As for strong sales and weak sales supporting my arguments, do you understand how a bubble is formed and how it is popped? Even during the height of a mania, you will have strong sales and weak sales, with changing leadership. Look at the stock market. The average stock topped out in 1997-98 and went into a bear market. But, the "hot" stocks continued to soar into 1999. Then, most of the dot-coms topped out in mid-to-late 1999. But, the "blue chip" tech stocks kept soaring into early 2000. Then they started showing weakness and there was a rotation into blue chip industrial stocks, which enjoyed a nice rebound but then got clobbered starting in 2001. You can see the analogy here with everything soaring in the early days of CGC, then the widening gap between the highest grades and lower grades shortly thereafter, and then most post-1975 books correcting and then HG Bronze taking a market leadership role and now there has been a flight to quality in the best Silver Age copies.

Weakness in some sectors followed by a narrowing advance in others to stratospheric levels. Rotating market leadership. SIMULTANEOUS WEAKNESS AND STRENGTH as the bubble is inflated to its maximum level. No inconsistency here.

I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from making any further misrepresentations, erroneous assertions and snide remarks about my views.

Gene

First we have Delekkerste arguing that strong sales (as well as weak sales) support his arguments of an impending crash, and also trying to re-define what he meant by "a crash".

Obviously you haven't been reading my posts very closely. Impending? Show me where I said there was an impending crash. Show me where I said this decline would not occur over a long, drawn-out period. Did I ever say that this would be a short-term event? No, never. All I have done recently is to try and get the pejorative word "crash" out of people's vocabulary because it does not accurately describe the scenario that I have consistently laid out on this Board - it implies a massive decline in a very short period of time in most peoples' minds, something I have never forecast. Guys like DrBanner, who disagree with me in the aggregate, can and have backed me up on this in the past.

As for strong sales and weak sales supporting my arguments, do you understand how a bubble is formed and how it is popped? Even during the height of a mania, you will have strong sales and weak sales, with changing leadership. Look at the stock market. The average stock topped out in 1997-98 and went into a bear market. But, the "hot" stocks continued to soar into 1999. Then, most of the dot-coms topped out in mid-to-late 1999. But, the "blue chip" tech stocks kept soaring into early 2000. Then they started showing weakness and there was a rotation into blue chip industrial stocks, which enjoyed a nice rebound but then got clobbered starting in 2001. You can see the analogy here with everything soaring in the early days of CGC, then the widening gap between the highest grades and lower grades shortly thereafter, and then most post-1975 books correcting and then HG Bronze taking a market leadership role and now there has been a flight to quality in the best Silver Age copies.

Weakness in some sectors followed by a narrowing advance in others to stratospheric levels. Rotating market leadership. SIMULTANEOUS WEAKNESS AND STRENGTH as the bubble is inflated to its maximum level. No inconsistency here.

I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from making any further erroneous assertions and snide remarks about my views.

Gene

Ok, so when is the crash? tongue.gifstooges.gif

Right or not, I'm far smarter than you dweebs.

I was going to just go away but I have a quick IRONY ALERT to share with the class...

You might be right about this, as I would never lay down $25K on a comic book, would never state I would, yet easily could. Those who got it, don't need to flaunt it.

Replace cash with intelligence and you've just made my day, Mr. "I'm Hyper Intelligent." 27_laughing.gif

Data can take a plural or singular verb depending on how you are using it. It can mean either many individual pieces of information (which takes a plural verb) or it can mean one, singular body of information (which takes a singular verb).

Of course, and I say this without trying to step on anyone's Johnson, this entire discussion reminds me of an email joke I once received:

arguing.jpg

That data is WRONG...

Oh, just more thing Joe - the word "data" is plural and the correct feint would have been to say "...data are WRONG...", but we all now know that's not true anyway, so it's a moot point.

Word...