• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 CGC 8.5 SOLD for $1.5 Million--Again New World Record!

300 posts in this topic

Also the MH's Action #1 has not even been graded yet by CGC so even though it will probably grade out at 9.2/9.4 it still not a flat out fact yet.

Comics and their values were determined long before CGC came into existence.

Couldn't disagree more, sorry.

The MH copy of Action #1 would break this record even if it were to go up for auction without being CGC graded.

I agree, but again the book hasn't so that point is void until it does.

Sounds like an SNL type spoof of the O'Reilly Factor.

All those pre-CGC sales (including an earlier record-breaker for the book that just resold)? Never happened.

"Sun rises in the East?" Couldn't disagree more.

Also the MH's Action #1 has not even been graded yet by CGC so even though it will probably grade out at 9.2/9.4 it still not a flat out fact yet.

The MH copy of Action #1 would break this record even if it were to go up for auction without being CGC graded.

+1.

It would be nice for CGC if he graded it but he'd sell it easily without doing so.

Sure, but it hasn't yet so whats your point?

Some of you guys are assuming a sale that has not even happened yet. :screwy:

Your are putting a value on a book that I am sure you have not seen before to give an accurate assessment.

In my opinion Andersen's copy will destroy any single comic book record, but it has not been sold or even professionally graded yet so there is no proof that's all I am saying.

Your are putting a value on a book that I am sure you have not seen before to give an accurate assessment.

In my opinion Andersen's copy will destroy any single comic book record, but it has not been sold or even professionally graded yet so there is no proof that's all I am saying.

The point is that we (and Vincent) are not just talking about sales that have already happened. Read Vincents statement again. He says:

"This new record will be hard to break, because this particular Action Comics #1 is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.”

It's common knowledge within the hobby that that statement is simply not true.

Sounds like an SNL type spoof of the O'Reilly Factor.

All those pre-CGC sales (including an earlier record-breaker for the book that just resold)? Never happened.

"Sun rises in the East?" Couldn't disagree more.

CGC brought about a whole new style of grading standards and kool aide money that is why I am disagreeing with him.

ASM #5 sold in 9.8 for 97K, and w/o CGC that same book "raw" would have sold far less back before CGC.

If values were determined long before CGC then why do Hulk #181's in 9.8 sell so much more than OSPG 9.2 copies?

Before CGC all we had was one type of NM allowing for the really nice copies (9.4-10.0's) to be sold as the same value scale of 9.2.

The point it that we (and Vincent) are not just talking about sales that have already happened. Read Vincents statement again. He says:

"This new record will be hard to break, because this particular Action Comics #1 is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.”

It's common knowledge that that statement is simply not true.

Okay, but your still not conveying to me why as of right now on paper the book is not?

Dude it is not common knowledge as it is an assumed value of which 99.9999% of the people have not seen the "raw" MH AC #1.

The point it that we (and Vincent) are not just talking about sales that have already happened. Read Vincents statement again. He says:

Okay, but your still not conveying to me why as of right now on paper the book is not?

Dude it is not common knowledge as it is an assumed value of which 99.9999% of the people have not seen the "raw" MH AC #1.

I can't convey to you why, as of right now on paper, the book isn't a former Queen of England from the 1700's either.

It simply isn't...and everyone knows it isn't.

And if you want to go the "assumed" route...you're assuming this $1.5 million dollar sale went through. Do you have the bank statements from both parties to back this up?

I can't covey to you why, as of right now on paper the book isn't a former Queen of England from the 1700's either. It simply isn't...and everyone knows it isn't.

Sorry I am not going to assume anything on a book I have personally have not seen or graded myself or for that matter probably mostly everyone in the comic community as well.

If the book would grade out at 9.0 or better and is unrestored then YES, it probably would be the most valuable book on the planet. However it's not graded or for sale so I can't assume.

Agree to disagree.

Off to the gym. (thumbs u

CGC brought about a whole new style of grading standards and kool aide money that is why I am disagreeing with him.

ASM #5 sold in 9.8 for 97K, and w/o CGC that same book "raw" would have sold far less back before CGC.

If values were determined long before CGC then why do Hulk #181's in 9.8 sell so much more than OSPG 9.2 copies?

Before CGC all we had was one type of NM allowing for the really nice copies (9.4-10.0's) to be sold as the same value scale of 9.2.

The MH copy would break this record with or without the addition of a CGC grade. The fact of the matter is that whether these books went up in a head-to-head sale in 1990 or 2010...the MH copy of Action #1 is the more valuable book of the two.

Sorry I am not going to assume anything on a book I have personally have not seen or graded myself or for that matter probably mostly everyone in the comic community as well.

If the book would grade out at 9.0 or better and is unrestored then YES, it probably would be the most valuable book on the planet. However it's not graded or for sale so I can't assume.

Agree to disagree.

Vincent seems to be assuming an awful lot when he stated that the CGC 8.5 copy is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.

He didn't say it was one of the most valuable comics on the planet. Or the most valuable CGC graded comic on the planet. But that the new record will be hard to break because this CGC 8.5 copy is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet. And I'm calling BS on it.

Nothing personal against you or Vincent. And perhaps it was just some hyperbolic blurb he muttered while caught up in the heat of the moment...which is certainly understandable given the magnitude of this sale.

You are, of course, free to defend his statement all you want. But Vincent is fully aware of the other "monster" books that exist out there and he's a smart man...so I don't think...even for one second...that he himself even truly believes it the way it was worded.

The MH copy would break this record with or without the addition of a CGC grade. The fact of the matter is that whether these books went up in a head to head sale in 1990 or 2010...the MH copy of Action #1 is the more valuable book of the two.

Agreed.

We are reaching (or have reached) a point where books are no longer distinguished just by grade but by a ranking. 1st best, 2nd best, 3rd best book of all time, etc. From what I've heard and read, that is how other more established (older) hobbies operate.

These books have moved from simply being comics with a grade to a cultural artifact that is recognized by non comic collectors as worthy of owning. Action #1 is arguably the greatest and single most important comic to ever come across a newsstand. The Church copy is the best copy of Action #1 (verified by Steve Fishler and Steve Borock as an unrestored 9.2/9.4). Dave Anderson also turned down the 8.5 copy because it was inferior. Oh, that and it's pretty much common knowledge that it will never be for sale....well, you know what I mean. Not for the foreseeable future.

To me it's a closed case.

Agree to disagree.

Vincent seems to be assuming an awful lot when he stated that the CGC 8.5 copy is literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.

He didn't say it was one of the most valuable comics on the planet. Or the most valuable CGC graded comic on the planet. But literally the single most valuable comic book on the planet.

And I'm calling BS on it.

Nothing personal against you or him. And perhaps it was just some hyperbolic blurb he muttered while caught up in the heat of the moment. You are, of course, free to defend his statement all you want. But Vincent is fully aware of the other "monster" books that exist out there and he's a smart man...so I don't think...even for one second...the he himself even truly believes it.

...and he would have had a lot more credibility if he had mentioned that it was the most valuable comic on the planet that will ever be offered for sale (because the Church copy is going nowhere)...but there you have it, fodder for the masses.

I would say that setting semantics aside, within or outside of our hobby, there can be NO argument made that we still perceive and consider the MH action 1 and the Allentown tec 27 as the 2 most valuable comic books that we are currently aware of their existance of

this 8.5 copy, since it surfaced, has pretty much always been thought of in our community (after all, outside our community is really not relevant) third, and at 1.5 mil is the highest sales price for a comic ever recorded, but it is not the most valuable (it is 3rd)

+1.

It would be nice for CGC if he graded it but he'd sell it easily without doing so.

"Agree to disagree" That's back in O'Reilly spoof territory.

"You say 'the Earth revolves around the sun?' I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.'"

If a book is worth more when it's in better shape, then the Mile High Action 1 (and maybe other copies as well) is worth more than this one.

If you wanna say it's not available, that's fine.

But when you say a book that's not slabbed by CGC is the same as being non-existent, then people are going to say that's not completely sound opining.

Agreed. To say otherwise is the height of naivety and ignorance.

Stop it. Please. (Time for Dr. Banner to post up that Daredevil cover.)

Seriously though, pull your head out of CGC's butt for a minute and consider the sheer idiocy of what you're saying.

We are assuming that when whoever walks it in the door of CGC, they don't trip, drop it, land on it and put a huge subscription-like crease on it...

Just like we are assuming that the purchaser of the CGC 8.5 copy didn't bash the hell out of his copy with a mallet the minute he bought it.

Stop it. Please. (Time for Dr. Banner to post up that Daredevil cover.)

Seriously though, pull your head out of CGC's butt for a minute and consider the sheer idiocy of what you're saying.

Why would he want to break the habit of a lifetime? (shrug)

$1.5 Million says it is in the public's view.

You still have not answered my questions.

How do you know the book is not restored or will grade higher than 8.5?

I for one would not spend that kind of money on a "raw" book before hand.

Yes, but that's the same thing as you saying that you wouldn't deign to lift an ungraded Mount Everest over your head.

the MH woiuld grade 9.6...wow...why would a collector not have something like that slabbed....you could truely never read it...

Steve Borock said that it would grade out somewhere between 9.0 and 9.6. This was when he was with CGC. From what Fischler once said, I recall that he believed that it would be in a NM- 9.2 blue label slab if it were CGC graded.

Yes, and Fishler. The MH action is not restored.

This might also help.

http://itsalljustcomics.com/2010/02/24/the-second-best-copy-of-action-1/

I asked Dave about it recently. The book that was later graded 8.5 is the 2nd best copy he had ever seen. He compared it to the Mile High years ago. The Mile high was clearly better.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=15&Number=106363&Searchpage=1&Main=5423&Words=%2Bnice+%2Bperfect+metropolisent&topic=0&Search=true#Post106363

Here's the link to the thread where Fischler says the Church copy of Action Comics #1 has no CT and would be in a 9.2 holder if CGC graded. Apparently Vinny never read this post or talked to Steve about it. lol