• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody ever go back???

54 posts in this topic

I would venture to say that most Golden Age collectors started off collecting Silver, Bronze, etc. comics until their eyes were opened to the light of the Golden Age. What I was wondering was does anyone ever "switch sides" and go back to collecting those other eras once they make the leap to GA?

I'll pick up a Silver Age book every now and then, but I sold off most of my Silver and Bronze books to buy GA. Would you ever consider selling off your GA books to rebuild your Silver or Bronze collection?

— Rick

I would venture to say that most Golden Age collectors started off collecting Silver, Bronze, etc. comics until their eyes were opened to the light of the Golden Age. What I was wondering was does anyone ever "switch sides" and go back to collecting those other eras once they make the leap to GA?

I'll pick up a Silver Age book every now and then, but I sold off most of my Silver and Bronze books to buy GA. Would you ever consider selling off your GA books to rebuild your Silver or Bronze collection?

Rick

No, but I can understand doing gold for silver if the Silver was very high grade unrestored.

Yup. I got hooked on GA a half dozen years back when I put together a Superman run, 2-150, and have been pecking away at GA books ever since....but I sold off my Silver Age stuff for the cash even before then when reprints became readily available.

A while back I stumbled into a deal here on the Boards for a nice stack of 60's Fantastic Four...and made the mistake of reading them. Now, lo and behold, I'm in the process of putting together a reader collection of SA Marvels (and the odd DC title, too)

Turns out that I need the comics themselves after all. Anyone out there have low grade but complete Brave and Bold 2, 4, & 16? My Greatest Adventure 80, 83? Early hero TOS or TTA?

Cheap Nedor/MLJ/Timely/DC/Fawcett Gold? Precode horror?

Etc, etc.

Let's face it, I'm hooked on anything 1933-1973.

Yup. I got hooked on GA a half dozen years back when I put together a Superman run, 2-150, and have been pecking away at GA books ever since....but I sold off my Silver Age stuff for the cash even before then when reprints became readily available.

A while back I stumbled into a deal here on the Boards for a nice stack of 60's Fantastic Four...and made the mistake of reading them. Now, lo and behold, I'm in the process of putting together a reader collection of SA Marvels (and the odd DC title, too)

Turns out that I need the comics themselves after all. Anyone out there have low grade but complete Brave and Bold 2, 4, & 16? My Greatest Adventure 80, 83? Early hero TOS or TTA?

Etc, etc.

Me too! I like that whole time frame. I've often sold silver to get gold, and gold to get silver. It's an addiction I tell you

Etc, etc.

Me too! I like that whole time frame. I've often sold silver to get gold, and gold to get silver. It's an addiction I tell you

So true! :applause:

I sold all my SA Spider-Man to start on some serious GA Tecs. But now I want an AF 15 and a higher graded ASM 1 again! It is an addiction!

The only SA books I'm still looking to buy are a few Steranko Strange Tales. Other than that, I'm done with SA.

Same with me but with a few minor exceptions. Need S.A. Detectives and Batman if I intend to go through with completing the runs. And I would like an AF 15 and ASM 1 back in the stack as I just mentioned earlier.

I'm more of a Gold guy as well but it depends on what you compare.

AF 15 vs Action 1 I'd take the Action 1.

But price for price I'm not so sure. 3.0 fugly Action 1 vs a 9.4 AF 15?

Even an the low end. How about a VG Superman 53 vs a 6.0 Avengers 4?

I just think there are more "pulse increasing" books in the GA vs SA. Yeah I like seeing a Hulk 1 but when I see an All American 61, it stops me cold. And I could keep going. I think the rarity makes it for me.

I would sell some golden age in order to buy some specific silver age books like high grade greytones or pre-hero Marvels, but in general I like the golden age I have better than any silver age books I don't. In fact, there is definitely some correlation between the age of the comic and how likely I would be to sell it. A lot of the books I wouldn't sell for anything less than stupid money are also some of my oldest from 1938, 1939 and 1940. Odd.

I've always collected what I consider to be the best and entertaining from all eras.

I enjoy my early GA and PreCode Horror books as much as my silver age ASM/FF books. I also treasure my moderns such as Fables and Walking Dead as much as anything else in my collection. Personally, I think there are excellent books and stories in all of the eras!

— Rick

I started out collecting all 3 eras 20+ years ago but the escalating prices over the years has, upon reflection, led me to focus on 10 cent era comics. I rarely acquire 12 cent cover price books and have gradually reduced them at the same time as I have gradually increased the 10 cent books. I'm still having fun collecting, so it's all good.

Personally, I think there are excellent books and stories in all of the eras!
Agreed! (thumbs u In my case, I enjoy reading far more than I can own in grade and so I my collection is more focused.

I started with BA off the rack as a kid, then SA, now GA. I still would like to get the SA keys (FF1, AF15, TOS 39, etc.) but really not much interest in other SA books or BA books. I guess I agree with the first post.

I am in a transition right now. I use to collect Batman, Detective, and classic covers but now I have stopped buying Detectives and have actually started selling off my GA Detectives. I have let several classic books go, I have sold off my SA keys and started to sell off the non keys. I now focus on upgrading my Batman run and feeding my new addiction, original art. I actually don't see my new direction changing anytime soon.