• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LOS ANGELES ROCK'N COMIC-CON

54 posts in this topic

The show was incredibly light in terms of traffic. A number of comic artists did not come today but are on track to come tomorrow. (J Scott Campbell, Joe Benitez, Joe Rubenstein, Bill Sienkiewicz)

Jim Steranko and Mike Grell have apparently cancelled.

Stan is only signing on Saturday, supposedly very soon after the doors open at 10. Do not wait until the mid afternoon to get your Stan signature. Get it done early in the day.

Bob Layton and Bernie Wrightson did attend today, along with Tone Rodriguez , Tony Fleecs and a few other artists.

It can't be that bad considering the $60 entrance fee. Can it?

It can, and it is. I got a presale 3 day ticket for $50, and for what there is I already feel let down. I'd only come if you really want to see some of the guests they have.

There are maybe 3-4 dealers with Silver Age books. (Comic Collector Shop, Ron Murray, FSVF comics and some Bronze Age dealer qith Poor-Fair key books, and Gd-Fn Bronze Age books.) Geoffrey's is blowing out trades, there's one dealer with lots of $1 books. But it's very minimal in terms of comic dealers/artists. It makes Anaheim look really great by comparison.

I'm not saying Stay Away, but unless you want to get a bunch of signatures or a couple sketches, I think you may be REALLY DISAPPOINTED if you come.

Was this thing advertised anywhere? I certainly didn't see any print ads or hear any radio spots.

This thread was the only place I saw anything about it other than the link to the website. I went yesterday (Friday, the only day I could go) and all previous descriptions were accurate. The universal comment by the exhibitors was about the lack of promotion and attendees.

As an attendee, the lack of organization as well as the lack of information, especially about the guests and exhibitors was disappointing. Even a map of the exhibit hall would have been nice. There is a map on the website but I didn't think I'd need to bring a printout with me.

For those who go on Saturday and Sunday, hopefully it'll be better.

Darren

Was this thing advertised anywhere? I certainly didn't see any print ads or hear any radio spots.

No radio ads, no newspaper print ads (OC Register or LA Times or Riverside Enterprise), no ads anywhere....I'll be in Pasadena on Sunday to visit friends...might poke my head in the show (will drive by first to see if anyone is in the parking lot..)..doesn't look good...

Joe Benitez is not coming back tomorrow. I think Campbell and Sienkiewicz are coming back. I think Layton is done, I assume Rubenstein will be back. Steranko never made it. Nobody has seen Mike Grell.

Day 2 was better (only in the sense that Day 1 was so empty, Day 2 couldn't have been worse.) Stan came after the show opened, signed for a while to a small crowd, took a break, then signed for a few more people in the early afternoon. Campbell showed up around 2 pm, signed for a while, then sketched for a few people. I'm sure some of the lucky sketch recipients will post their scores on the boards.

For the exhibitors and some of the fans, today was a big disappointment. But for some of us (myself included) today wasn't so bad. I got a short box full of comics signed in less than an hour, including a HUGE stack of books signed by Campbell. I got 2 Bob Layton sketches (which I took pics of using my phone but the pics are gone) and may be picking up some more sketches tomorrow. Plus, fingerprint.ink and I had an INCREDIBLE dinner tonight, so we're loving life right now. :)

anyway, I'm morbidly curiously to see how empty the hall will be tomorrow. A number of exhibitors packed up their stuff today, and are NOT coming back tomorrow. Should be interesting. :)