• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 Overstreet Price Guide

63 posts in this topic

40th anv edition :headbang:
waiting to :whatev: your market report :insane:
my market market report will hopefully be in there, though it was truncated a bit, I hear hm

Overstreet is far from perfect and better in some areas than others, but it's rank hyperbole to suggest it is wholly irrelevant. :sumo: Many people check prices on books without thinking about it, even if they know something should be higher or lower--making the case that this book STILL guides folks in many ways. It is one of the tools out there--obviously not the only tool in town (insert punchline here :whistle:). It will become less relevant if it sticks to its annual deal (that ain't gonna last much longer), but its pages have been wandering in the comic book wilderness for 40 years. That's gotta be worth something. :shrug:

Not to mention that many dealers still use it religiously when pricing books for sale.

Overstreet is far from perfect and better in some areas than others, but it's rank hyperbole to suggest it is wholly irrelevant. :sumo: Many people check prices on books without thinking about it, even if they know something should be higher or lower--making the case that this book STILL guides folks in many ways. It is one of the tools out there--obviously not the only tool in town (insert punchline here :whistle:). It will become less relevant if it sticks to its annual deal (that ain't gonna last much longer), but its pages have been wandering in the comic book wilderness for 40 years. That's gotta be worth something. :shrug:

Not to mention that many dealers still use it religiously when pricing books for sale.

it is very handy at a convention, just for general info, etc

Considering that the vast majority of dealers' stock is raw, I can see the sense. Not necessarily the 'religiously' part, but still...

But it does bring up a basic contradiction. You have people saying its pricing info is irrelevant and yet it's still being used widely for pricing.

There’s truth in paradoxes... I guess.

Overstreet is fun to page through and like Gator mentioned it's great for conventions.

But it does bring up a basic contradiction. You have people saying its pricing info is irrelevant and yet it's still being used widely for pricing.

Being used, and being the "final word" are still two entirely different things.

I don't think anyone will dispute that the guide still has a pretty notable place in the hobby; I think the disconnect begins (if there even is one anymore) if/when people say "it guides for $1,000; it's a $1,000 book"

It gives you a ballpark number, it helps you understand if the book is valuable, significant, both or neither, but it shouldn't give you a sticker price routinely, heck, just the nature of its publication suggests that it really shouldn't be used for de facto pricing, because if the hobby is thriving, prices shouldn't be static for a year.

it is really only irrelevant on a fraction of the high demand key books (action 1, af15, etc)...

it is completely relevant on 95% of the rest of the books listed in the guide that don't get slabbed, etc (thumbs u

it is completely relevant on 95% of the rest of the books listed in the guide that don't get slabbed, etc (thumbs u

But what about the vast majority of mid grade non keys that don't realize anywhere near those prices? Reported by folks here as well as OS advisors over the years in their market reports.

I also see comics being sold here at significant guide discounts that still don't move but that could be just because we are a bunch of cheapskates ;)

But what about the vast majority of mid grade non keys that, at least compared to some on here, don't realize anywhere near those prices? Also, stated by advisors over the years in their market reports.

I also see comics being sold here at significant guide discounts that still don't move but that could be just because we are a bunch of cheapskates ;)

I guess it is relative... folks "know" what percent of guide (hence its relevance) those non slabbed, mid graders go for (thumbs u

But what about the vast majority of mid grade non keys that, at least compared to some on here, don't realize anywhere near those prices? Also, stated by advisors over the years in their market reports.

I guess it is relative... folks "know" what percent of guide (hence its relevance) those non slabbed, mid graders go for (thumbs u

...but that is the whole point of the discussion.

Why SHOULD it go for a percentage of guide?

:frustrated:

Why does the guide not simply adjust it's values so that people don't have to work out percentages?

:screwy:

Better yet, how do they know which percentages of guide the books go for? I'll tell you how...they look it up on GPA.

lol

GPA is my guide...

I buy this from time to time for laughs.

(thumbs u

So what do you do about non-slabbed books, since GPA is only for slabs? hm

I usually don't buy books over $100 unless they are slabbed.

And when I buy raw books (under $100) is it is reasonable I buy it

if not I don't.

I have a good ball park figure in my head on what books run that are under $100.

If I over pay it is usually with a dealer I like, so I would consider it a tip...

brothas gotta eat ya know!

(thumbs u

GPA is my guide...

I buy this from time to time for laughs.

(thumbs u

So what do you do about non-slabbed books, since GPA is only for slabs? hm

GPA only tracks what slabbed books sell for but that doesn't mean that an accurately graded, raw book will not fetch the same price. You know what I'm talking about.

Same old circular argument.

Why does the guide not simply adjust it's values so that people don't have to work out percentages?

Better yet, how do they know which percentages of guide the books go for? I'll tell you how...they look it up on GPA.

lol

because it is not logistically possible or even likely feasible at this point in time to adjust the prices of hundreds of thousands of books... the market already has established what percentage they will go for... the guide is just that, a guide... it is not intended to be, nor will it ever be (no matter how often you adjust it) "accurate"... hence, it serves it purpose wonderully (thumbs u

because it is not logistically possible or even likely feasible at this point in time to adjust the prices of hundreds of thousands of books... the market already has established what percentage they will go for... the guide is just that, a guide... it is not intended to be, nor will it ever be (no matter how often you adjust it) "accurate"... hence, it serves it purpose wonderully (thumbs u

Oh, Gator.

It absolutely is possible to adjust it accurately to a smaller percentage of error.

It just isn't possibly if OSPG are still using cue cards to record data.

lol

The guide was supposed to be somewhat representative of the market, not the other way around.

I understand it won't catch trends that are happening after the time of publication but it's so off base on everything that is important that it's almost comical.

I do really enjoy the market reports though.

(thumbs u

Adjusting to a percentage of guide for common mid-grade books has become so institutionalized and ingrained in the market that even if the Guide was able to adjust the prices to reflect real world sales, confusion would be the primary result.

I wonder if the following would happen.

Let's take a mid grade non key valued at $50 but in reality only sells for $25. If the guide lowers the price to $25 will it actually still sell at $25 or will it have to be dicounted to $12.50 in order to move? :P

I wonder if the following would happen.

Let's take a mid grade non key valued at $50 but in reality only sells for $25. If the guide lowers the price to $25 will it actually still sell at $25 or will it have to be dicounted to $12.50 in order to move? :P

Prices that have dropped should be in red ink.

I'd love to spend a few minutes making note of those.

lol

Best place to get FMV of books is right here. No kidding. You looking for a book? Just asked opinions. Most have bought it recently or made a best offer.

Throw the guides away and ask the experts. Of course, where do THEY get their info? :hi:

Adjusting to a percentage of guide for common mid-grade books has become so institutionalized and ingrained in the market that even if the Guide was able to adjust the prices to reflect real world sales, confusion would be the primary result.

(thumbs u