• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

*CLOSED* RARE Whitman Variant Superman vs Ali - HG White Pages

12 posts in this topic

Up for sale is unquestionably one of the greatest comic covers of the Bronze Age. This oversized edition is the much rarer and more sought after Whitman variant of DC's C-56 (Collectors Edition).

This is a an uncirculated copy that came from a sealed case of 12 issues. This copy has been conservatively graded as VF/NM with White Pages.

This copy has bright, reflective cover inks (with inks that looks wet off the presses) and is perfectly centered with the nicest spine and sharpest corners you will ever see on an oversized comic - especially a dark cover issue like this example.

Note: this edition does have a slight bindery tear at the lower bottom, which is a common production flaw for this particular edition.

This book is an enduring classic for comic collectors, boxing fans and aficionados of Neal Adams amazing artwork!

Shipping to Canadian and U.S. residents is included in the price and will be sent via CanadaPost Expedited which comes with delivery confirmation and insurance. International buyers will pay exact shipping costs.

Condition: VF/NM (White Pages)

Price: $150 shipped

First :takeit: wins it, and trumps over PM.

Superman_vs_Ali_Whitman_VFNM_819.jpg

Click Image for Larger Scan

Superman_vs_Ali_Whitman_VFNM_back_819.jpg

Click Image for Larger Scan

Very cool. I never really looked at that cover before. Lots of familiar faces in that crowd.

Isn't there like a map on the inside cover for all of the celebs in the crowd???

hm

(thumbs u - a list is also available on the Wiki

edited: from the Wiki, I found this to be quite interesting (hadn't really thought about the intellectual property law aspect):

The comic book has become a genuine collectors' item in recent years, partly because it could not be reprinted. In addition to Ali, the story featured cameos of real-life personalities and celebrities. Changes in intellectual property law have prohibited the use of celebrity faces in media or artwork they do not personally endorse.

Very cool. I never really looked at that cover before. Lots of familiar faces in that crowd.

Isn't there like a map on the inside cover for all of the celebs in the crowd???

hm

(thumbs u - a list is also available on the Wiki

edited: from the Wiki, I found this to be quite interesting (hadn't really thought about the intellectual property law aspect):

The comic book has become a genuine collectors' item in recent years, partly because it could not be reprinted. In addition to Ali, the story featured cameos of real-life personalities and celebrities. Changes in intellectual property law have prohibited the use of celebrity faces in media or artwork they do not personally endorse.

I just read in the Superman vs. Ali Statue thread that they are finally going to reprint this book. That should have little effect on the value of the original, especially one that looks like yours.

Also, I'll speculate that they may have made minor changes to the cover and/or book based on the IP issues mentioned above.

Also, I'll speculate that they may have made minor changes to the cover and/or book based on the IP issues mentioned above.

I'd be interested in seeing a reprint, especially if it's in an oversized format. Though I'm pretty sure it will be in a comic sized format like the reprinted Superman vs Spider-Man:

6031511_1.jpg

Wow those colors are SO bright. Really does look fresh off the printer.

Ze-man was one of the members here who picked-up a copy from me that came from the same sealed case. His was a higher-grade copy, but it seems as though the colour strike and registration on all the copies that came from the case are outstanding. The Whitman's also appear to have consistently brighter cover colours than the DC's (from the DC C-56 examples I own, I find some copies to be darker than others).

I'd be interested in seeing a reprint, especially if it's in an oversized format. Though I'm pretty sure it will be in a comic sized format like the reprinted Superman vs Spider-Man

Oversize HC reprint coming in July. (thumbs u

Also available in standard size HC with a new Adams cover.