• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic Cage Just Too Tacky for the Rest of Us?

34 posts in this topic

nic cage is still a comic book fanboy :applause:

No matter how many national treasures you find, money can't buy you taste. We're eyeballing you, Nicolas Cage.

The Hollywood star's sprawling Bel-Air Tudor mansion, which he lost to foreclosure when the real estate market crashed, failed to sell at auction Wednesday—apparently because no one was willing to pay premium price for what one real estate agent described as a place decorated in "frathouse bordello."

There were no takers at the minimum bid of $10.4 million, per the Los Angeles Times—a relative bargain considering Cage forked over $35 million for the place. As a result, the auction shut down after a minute, and ownership of the estate reverted to the foreclosing lender.

In other words, any notion of a sale was gone in 60 seconds. (Sorry.)

As real-estate agent Brett Parsons mused to the Times, buyers appear turned off by the fanboy décor that graces the six-bedroom, nine-bath residence, which also includes a castle-like tower, a 35-seat home theater and an Olympic-size pool. The place retained such Cage touches as 300 framed comic book covers and elevated electric train sets choo-chooing around a breakfast room and two bedrooms—hence Parsons' "frathouse bordello" assessment.

The actor, who's in severe money trouble and embroiled in a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against his ex-business manager for allegedly getting him into this money mess, also saw two other properties he owns in Malibu hit the auction block. But like the Bel-Air complex, the sale which started at a minimum $10 million failed to attract any bidders leaving the bank to repossess them in lieu of more than $8 million Cage owed on the spreads.

Expect to hear the announcement of another National Treasure sequel any day now.

Most semi-intelligent buyers are gonna see beyond what pictures are on the walls, and also realize the train assembly can be removed. (shrug)

I suspect the mansion not selling had nothing to do with Cage's fanboy touches.

I'll bet most of those people don't have a clue how to see past those things. You'd be amazed at how few by my experience anyway.

Throw out the train set, throw a coat of paint in there and make it look "high class" and I'll bet it would have attracted a different type of buyer.

The only people who are able to see past that sort of thing are people who are in the business (Real Estate Agents, Interior Decorators, Contractors, etc) and since people in the business have not picked this puppy up for resale (and it's been repossessed) he's also lost his opportunity to find a decent buyer who would be looking for this type of place.

There were no takers at the minimum bid of $10.4 million, per the Los Angeles Times—a relative bargain considering Cage forked over $35 million for the place. As a result, the auction shut down after a minute, and ownership of the estate reverted to the foreclosing lender.

Just because you can afford to buy a 35 million dollar home doesn't mean you should actually buy a 35 million dollar home. doh!

Most semi-intelligent buyers are gonna see beyond what pictures are on the walls, and also realize the train assembly can be removed. (shrug)

No, most are not able to see past it. My wife watches a lot of those house selling shows on HGTV and every single one of the experts on those shows basically say just the opposite. I don't get it either but apparently if you want to have the best shot at selling your house you have to make it neutrally attractive to a large group of people. It's all about staging.

No, most are not able to see past it. My wife watches a lot of those house selling shows on HGTV and every single one of the experts on those shows basically say just the opposite. I don't get it either but apparently if you want to have the best shot at selling your house you have to make it neutrally attractive to a large group of people. It's all about staging.

Perhaps I've been too generous in my assessment of the overall level of intelligence out there..... lol

When my wife was in real estate she was always stunned how many people expect to move into a house and do literally nothing. They'd turn down a home that had every one of their qualifications except there was a room with a color or a carpet they didn't like. :screwy:

He is a D-bag anyway. My sister works at a toy store in New Orleans and he came in about 3 weeks ago with his son and was the most arrogant she had ever had to help. He didnt want his son talking to her, she said it was almost as though he looked down on her because she worked an honest job.

John Malcovitch (sp?) on the other hand was one of the nicest people.

This has nothing to do with his crappy taste in decorating, I just vent whenever I get a chance to get something about Nic Cage out. rantrant

When my wife was in real estate she was always stunned how many people expect to move into a house and do literally nothing. They'd turn down a home that had every one of their qualifications except there was a room with a color or a carpet they didn't like. :screwy:

On the flip side, I was able to cut about 10% off the purchase price of my house because the seller (newly single) thought leaving muddy footprints on the carpet and his golf clubs in the middle of the empty living room was a selling feature. In the days where houses were selling at above asking price within hours of being listed his passed 31 days on the market without an offer.

Thought I read yesterday that he paid $6M for it, this is the old Tom Jones house (it's about 2 miles from my work)...

One of the news agencies needs to do some fact checking.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/07/nic-cage-home-foreclosure-bel-air-bankruptcy-debt/

That looks like different place than what is pictured in the link by the op.

Thought I read yesterday that he paid $6M for it, this is the old Tom Jones house (it's about 2 miles from my work)...

One of the news agencies needs to do some fact checking.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/07/nic-cage-home-foreclosure-bel-air-bankruptcy-debt/

That looks like different place than what is pictured in the link by the op.

different house, he paid $35 mil for the house that failed to get a single bid.