• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Book of fun #1

28 posts in this topic

I bid on this and just missed out.

Im just wondering if I missed out on something, or if i was too impulsive jumping into an auction on a book I dont know a lot about. Wouldnt be the first time, I guess on both counts. Wont be the last time.

No advantage to reattaching the 2 loose covers. Would just drop the resale value in 1/2 in the future.

I bid twice on this rare oversized (thumbs u comic.

I know I am an old foggie on this stuff and the discussion value of 'restored' books is long over, BUT when does the intrinsic value of the book (what it is, how rare it is) 'trump' to preserve or not preserve? or trump knocking value down by 50-90%. I get it. I get it should be "worth" less...but the percentages I see....

I know I am a minority of one, but I just get tired of hearing when certain books are perversely undercut in value due to some restoration. So from what I can tell, the "condition"/ virginal state of those key and/or rare GA books is the controlling criteria for valuation itself as opposed to just having found a rare item.....

I know I have stepped into doo-doo now.....jb

oh, P.S. here is my Big Book....

96176.jpg.2bb3fe5b3721ac81d762bbc040f5962b.jpg

I personally don't like restored comics at all. My exception would be rare comics. The rarer they are, the less important the restoration becomes. Just my opinion.

I am not questioning one's preference as to buying unrestored books (and we still have not viewed degrees of 'restoration'), but rather if the relative value is so disparate that more value is placed on a book's physical condition then what the books intrinsic value is. Is there not a point that owning a Marvel Mystery 5 has more value because of its period?

As I have oft remarked: "All generalizations are false". My point is one of the neo-philosophical conundrums for which there is no 'simple' nor 'correct' view. I

Your last sentence implies that the intrinsic value is higher in those books that are rare, even though there is some degree of restoration. That's my point....jb

Was not aware of the listing, so was not able to bid. That is a truly rare and cool book. My personal (biased) opinion is someone got a good deal. If I'd have been lucky enough to win this book, I would not have it restored (then again, I've never had a book restored). I have no problems with restored books (I probably own more than I'm aware of), but prefer restoration for the purpose of preservation, not increase in value.

First comic annual - amazing how many firsts National (DC) had over 70 yrs ago!

Definitely a very rare book - and one that i like a lot, but I agree with Batman_fan, it just doesn't have a very strong demand and most copies tend to sell for at guide or below.

When the last copy sold at Heritage a couple of years ago, the buyer offered it a few times on ebay and it never got above about 60% of the Heritage price.

So this was a strong price compared to guide, but if you really want a copy for your collection it's also about as cheap a copy as you will find.

No advantage to reattaching the 2 loose covers. Would just drop the resale value in 1/2 in the future.

I would agree with what JB touched on.(if I read his post right)

When does the book itself outweigh what value might be placed on it? I mean I understand your point that it's monetary value would be cut in half, even if it was just slightly conserved. But what about the intrinsic value gained by having the comic whole again, one that you can actually pick up and handle safely?

To me the intrinsic outweighs the monetary, on this rare book anyway's. And is a shame that in our hobby decisions are based on what a book might sell for rather then what might be best for the longterm life of a book.

I think the value of of all of these early DC's are flat to down. The interest is not a strong as it once was.

I agree, prices of pre-hero DCs have gone up in guide a lot over the years. For a lot of titles/issues, guide is higher than demand. There are a few issues that still command well over guide, and I thought Big Book of Fun Comics was one. Guess not, but would love to have a copy!

Just noticed another copy in the May Heritage auction - maybe this is as common as Jumbo #9! :jokealert:

When does the book itself outweigh what value might be placed on it? I mean I understand your point that it's monetary value would be cut in half, even if it was just slightly conserved. But what about the intrinsic value gained by having the comic whole again, one that you can actually pick up and handle safely?

To me the intrinsic outweighs the monetary, on this rare book anyway's. And is a shame that in our hobby decisions are based on what a book might sell for rather then what might be best for the longterm life of a book.

+1. If I had won this book, Kenny would probably be the first person after me to handle it. This is a book that should be put back together and conseved.

Mine was a subtler and potentially more politically incorrect comment. Restoration can be heavy, moderate, light. On any book it has a significant hit on the money paid for that book if it has the scarlet "R". When does the fact that, "okay, this is restored" not have a huge effect on the book?

Extreme example Action 1 gazillions unrestored........significant effect 'restored'. However, does not the inherent demand for the book (what it is, first superhero) place on it an intrinsic bottomline value because it is Action 1 or 'tec 35 or Fantastic 3. In other words, if being restored, 'dooms' a book to pennies on the dollar that it would have been if NOT restored, then the particular book has little intrinsic value. "Who cares what the book and character and condition is otherwise?"

A book is worth 25% or 10% of marketplace value. The fact that it is Whiz 2 or Wonderworld 3 or Hit 5 has little relevance. All the buyer cares about is that it has been restored period.

In a metaphysical world it does not matter WHAT is on the newsprint and between the covers in pricing that book, but only if it has been restored. As I said above, I am stepping in doo-doo by saying I think the huge depreciation on restored GA books has gotten out of whack. It is reinforrced by every comment in the boards. I am not saying it should not have an effect, but is that effect out of keeping with just having the particular book itself? If so, then what title and number and collectability of that title means relatively little.

I am not saying it has no effect. I am not saying that the preference is to buy unrestored GA. What I am saying is, the huge depreciation minimize that one has the book and what the book is.

I guess I should leave philosophy to Plato.

jb

Jon

jon,

Many GA collectors will agree with you including myself that slight or mod restored GA should not have been hammered so low in value compared to virgin GA due to inherent intrinsic value. Restored GA is still at 10 year ago time warp values. With SA Marvel keys, it has taken about 17 years for the restored value to equal its original slight/mod restored ORIGINAL buy-in cost.

Bottom line is it may take another 5 years before collectors differentiate values btwn conservation and frankenstein restoration on PLOD's painted by CGC. :slapfight:

Mine was a subtler and potentially more politically incorrect comment. Restoration can be heavy, moderate, light. On any book it has a significant hit on the money paid for that book if it has the scarlet "R". When does the fact that, "okay, this is restored" not have a huge effect on the book?

Extreme example Action 1 gazillions unrestored........significant effect 'restored'. However, does not the inherent demand for the book (what it is, first superhero) place on it an intrinsic bottomline value because it is Action 1 or 'tec 35 or Fantastic 3. In other words, if being restored, 'dooms' a book to pennies on the dollar that it would have been if NOT restored, then the particular book has little intrinsic value. "Who cares what the book and character and condition is otherwise?"

A book is worth 25% or 10% of marketplace value. The fact that it is Whiz 2 or Wonderworld 3 or Hit 5 has little relevance. All the buyer cares about is that it has been restored period.

In a metaphysical world it does not matter WHAT is on the newsprint and between the covers in pricing that book, but only if it has been restored. As I said above, I am stepping in doo-doo by saying I think the huge depreciation on restored GA books has gotten out of whack. It is reinforrced by every comment in the boards. I am not saying it should not have an effect, but is that effect out of keeping with just having the particular book itself? If so, then what title and number and collectability of that title means relatively little.

I am not saying it has no effect. I am not saying that the preference is to buy unrestored GA. What I am saying is, the huge depreciation minimize that one has the book and what the book is.

I guess I should leave philosophy to Plato.

jb

Jon

(thumbs u

There are many people on the boards who are learning to appreciate the fact that with restoration you can afford a decent copy of a hard to find book and who don't discount it as much. However, OFF the boards, there are more people who do not discount it as much. Any restored books I've sold on Ebay, I've disclosed and been pleasantly surprised at the results.. I don't sell many, because I keep most of them, but they do fairly well.

Although there are many of us (much to my surprise and delight) who collect lower grade books here, I think the majority were here originally because they were looking for perfection or as close to it as they could get.

As more and more beautiful old rare books are shown, I see more and more people sneaking over the fence to join those of us who appreciate the history and art of the GA, and even those people who were looking for pristine copies in their former lives, are falling in love with some of the less perfect books. Lots if people seem to be mellowing a bit;)

I'm still happy that restoration devalues the books so greatly...I've got a stack of GA keys I would never own otherwise:)

:gossip: So let them continue to snub restoration by pricing it low;)