• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storing GA Comics in a Fire-Proof Safe, Any Hazzards?

41 posts in this topic

Thought I would ask.....

Was reading a post in General that made me wonder.

I just started recently storing my biggest $ GA books in a fire proof / water proof safe made by Sentry. All I have in the safe are about a dozen GA books with nothing else. No gel packets except for 2 little packets in a Fortress holder. The safe is in a temperature controlled (constant 69-70 degrees) room that no one goes in except for myself on occasion. Also this is up in the northeast where it stays cooler all year round compared to the humid south.

So far I have detected no signs of the dreaded moisture some people have had with there own safes. I am worried about the possibility that moisture might get in the safe. But it is not in a humid climate and it is in a cool temp controlled area.

Do you think my books are safe from moisture or should I look into trying something else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There was a thread here years ago regarding storage of comics in fire safes. Someone posted a photo of an Incredible Hulk 181 in NM condition except for the rust migration that occurred from storing it in the safe. Not a pretty site. I would definitely NOT store comics in those safes. In fact, I bought a Sentry fire safe, then read the thread, and never used it.

David.

I bought a huge gun safe in 1990 to hold my comics. Some of the comics were in there for over 15 years, no problems at all with mine. The company was called Hall's Safe Co.

West

Thanks for the input so far guys. I am really freaked out from what I read on the link above.

A little more info on my comics and safe:

about 50% of my books in there are CGC'd. And my biggest $ book of the bunch in the safe is CGC'd but has an old cgc label , old CGC case - is that a problem versus new CGC cases?

I am thinking of going and leaving my safe open for the evening as I am paranoid about it now. And it will let out any moisture that might possible have formed (but I doubt moisture has gotten in). Safe has been closed for about 3 weeks straight.

I bought a huge gun safe in 1990 to hold my comics. Some of the comics were in there for over 15 years, no problems at all with mine. The company was called Hall's Safe Co.

West

I have a gun safe as well.

My recommendation is to get a good hygrometer and monitor the relative humidity in your safe. You will probably need to obtain some sort of dessicant unless you have a dehumidifier in the room and open the safe regularly to reduce humidity.

I live in N.C. where it is nice and humid. I have a large fireproof safe that I special ordered (other words it's not your standard Walmart gun safe) keep my better books in, but I keep the safe in the basement where it is always cool. I have a dehumidifier constantly running. I have had zero problems in over 12 years.

I live in N.C. where it is nice and humid. I have a large fireproof safe that I special ordered (other words it's not your standard Walmart gun safe) keep my better books in, but I keep the safe in the basement where it is always cool. I have a dehumidifier constantly running. I have had zero problems in over 12 years.

I bought my safe from Office Depot. But only because I wanted a Sentry safe which they had. I was told Sentry safes where good for storing paper media.

Should I order a safe versus a sentry safe?

I wonder if the risk goes away if the comics are slabbed...seems to me that CGC's encapsulation process would help keep out moisture even within a safe. (shrug)

it does?

seems the exact opposite to me. the encapsulation process isn't air-tight, and it seems pretty likely that water vapor would to condense on the inner well if proper storage conditions weren't met

Most fireproof safes arent going to save your comics. Most fireproof safes are rated to 350 degrees, because paper burns at 400. Even though the paper wont burn at 350 doesnt mean it will still be in collectible shape if they get that high. Set your oven to 350 and throw a comic you dont care about in there for 10 mins, you wont have anything collectible left. The CGC holder melts at an even lower temperature, so your brittle, brown book will now be forever glued to your deformed cgc holder. And then there is the humidity...

I did quite a bit of research a couple years ago and decided to go with a data-safe made by Fireking. It keeps the interior temperature at less than 125 degrees and the relative humidity below 80%.

In my opinion if you are spending tens of thousands on comics, then dont cheap out on the safe.

Here is the link to the safe I chose:

http://www.fireking.com/fireking_data_2ds.html

Most fireproof safes arent going to save your comics. Most fireproof safes are rated to 350 degrees, because paper burns at 400. Even though the paper wont burn at 350 doesnt mean it will still be in collectible shape if they get that high. Set your oven to 350 and throw a comic you dont care about in there for 10 mins, you wont have anything collectible left. The CGC holder melts at an even lower temperature, so your brittle, brown book will now be forever glued to your deformed cgc holder. And then there is the humidity...

I did quite a bit of research a couple years ago and decided to go with a data-safe made by Fireking. It keeps the interior temperature at less than 125 degrees and the relative humidity below 80%.

In my opinion if you are spending tens of thousands on comics, then dont cheap out on the safe.

:applause:

Can I buy one of these online or do I need to find a store to order one?

How much do they run?

Interesting idea. Thanks for the post.

I wonder if maybe you could seal the books in something vapor proof, an added container. I'm not sure what that would be; shrink wrap, giant ziplock bag, or maybe Magazine size mylar bag (completely taped with packaging tape at the top flap)? I think desiccant would be good to, perhaps replaced every 6 months?

It may not have saved my books from a fire, but it did save them from a 6.9 magnitude earthquake in Northridge! :wishluck:

West

Can I buy one of these online or do I need to find a store to order one?

How much do they run?

I bought mine online from a place called Everysafe. I got a pretty big one... its about the size of a really big fridge and it was about $6500 or so, plus shipping. Because I'm in Canada it cost me about $1000 just to have it delivered... but if you're in the USA it would be much less. There are other special considerations too, because the one I bought weighs about 1300 pounds. Definitely not something I wanted to try moving myself.

It may not have saved my books from a fire, but it did save them from a 6.9 magnitude earthquake in Northridge! :wishluck:

West

(thumbs u

A good quality gun safe should also protect them from the average break and enter type thief too, and is definitely a good idea. I just get sad thinking of all the books in 'fireproof' safes that their owners think will make it though a house fire when they most likely wont.

West

(thumbs u

A good quality gun safe should also protect them from the average break and enter type thief too, and is definitely a good idea. I just get sad thinking of all the books in 'fireproof' safes that their owners think will make it though a house fire when they most likely wont.

The safe I have is rated at 2000 degrees for 3 hours with the inside getting no hotter than 150 degrees during that time. This means if the safe were in DIRECT heat at 2000 degrees for 3 hours no harm done. I KNOW my books are safe from the house burning down.