• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kick *spoon* Roger Ebert Review: One Star!

122 posts in this topic

Sorry for the attempted English lesson, but when you're teaching grammar on the Internet, at least do it right.

after killing eight or twelve men who were trying to kill her?

after killing 8 or 12 men who were trying to kill her?

Or go with your parent, but that would be too easy to miss as a choice.

This is not consistent through all theaters and some will not allow this, especially if the parent does not watch the same movie.

From the ultra-violence in the previews, this movie screams out to teenagers to watch in packs anyway. I hardly ever see a teen bringing their parent/s anymore, because of the risk of humiliation from their fellow peers that might go, the next Monday at school.

If people have read the comic they would know it is not meant for kids. I will not take my nine year old son to see it, I didn`t take him to Dark Knight or Watchmen as well.

Kudos to you, and I mean that sincerely. Unfortunately, there are so many parents who are so laconic and so oblivious to basic parenting skills. They are more interested in making sure their children like them than in instructing the child and molding the child's experiences to insure that they are not exposed to things they should not be. That doesn't mean this movie shouldn't have been made, nor does it mean that it is inherently bad or inherently morally objectionable to adults. What it does mean is that a lot of kids are going to see this movie that have no business seeing this movie, and shame on their parents.

Yup. I can't go to the movies much since Lil Pontoon is only 2, (only saw one in the last year, A Serious Man) but when I used to go more often I'd be shaking my head at the movies parents would take their kids to see. I saw some numbskull parents with a couple of seven-10 year olds at I Am Legend.

If people have read the comic they would know it is not meant for kids. I will not take my nine year old son to see it, I didn`t take him to Dark Knight or Watchmen as well.

Kudos to you, and I mean that sincerely. Unfortunately, there are so many parents who are so laconic and so oblivious to basic parenting skills. They are more interested in making sure their children like them than in instructing the child and molding the child's experiences to insure that they are not exposed to things they should not be. That doesn't mean this movie shouldn't have been made, nor does it mean that it is inherently bad or inherently morally objectionable to adults. What it does mean is that a lot of kids are going to see this movie that have no business seeing this movie, and shame on their parents.

There are too many parents that are exactly like that.

I still remember parents bringing toddler to adolescent children into the midnight showing of Blair Witch Project and thinking that this would be the perfect place to have a DCFS satellite office.

This is not consistent through all theaters and some will not allow this, especially if the parent does not watch the same movie.

what theater do you know that won't let you take a 12-16 year old to an R movie? Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Yup. I can't go to the movies much since Lil Pontoon is only 2, (only saw one in the last year, A Serious Man) but when I used to go more often I'd be shaking my head at the movies parents would take their kids to see. I saw some numbskull parents with a couple of seven-10 year olds at I Am Legend.

What did you think of A Serious Man?

I really can't wait to see this flick!

This isn't comic violence. These men, and many others in the film, are really stone-cold dead. And the 11-year-old apparently experiences no emotions about this. Many children that age would be, I dunno, affected somehow, don't you think, after killing eight or 12 men who were trying to kill her?

How come you spelled out 8 but used numbers for 12 ...and only one word apart ? :baiting:

It's proper grammar. Spell out single-digit whole numbers. Use numerals for numbers greater than nine.

Nope, you lose! You still need to be consistent within the same category:

http://www.grammarbook.com/numbers/numbers.asp

Be consistent within a category. For example, if you choose numerals because one of the numbers is greater than nine, use numerals for all numbers in that category. If you choose to spell out numbers because one of the numbers is a single digit, spell out all numbers in that category.

If you have numbers in different categories, use numerals for one category and spell out the other.

Correct Examples:

My 10 cats fought with their 2 cats.

My ten cats fought with their two cats.

We are looking at the same source, Vince.

I provided rule one, you provided rule two.

Then why didn't you follow Rule 2? :tonofbricks:

Seriously, these are NOT exclusive, and that's why they're numbered Rule 1, 2, 3.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am shocked....SHOCKED....that a 68 year old person didn't like this movie.

I was sure that it had the crossover appeal of Titanic. Shucksy-Darn. :sorry:

what theater do you know that won't let you take a 12-16 year old to an R movie? Maybe it's a Canadian thing.

Nope, but they are cracking down on the old "my parents say it's alright, but they'll be going to see "Date Night" instead". Now, the parents *have* to go to the same movie, which cuts down on a lot of this BS.

From the ultra-violence in the previews, this movie screams out to teenagers to watch in packs anyway. I hardly ever see a teen bringing their parent/s anymore, because of the risk of humiliation from their fellow peers that might go, the next Monday at school.

Exactly,It will be just as violent as the latest Nightmare on Elm street movie that comes out in a few weeks.I am sure more teenagers who will go see that as well.

Nope, but they are cracking down on the old "my parents say it's alright, but they'll be going to see "Date Night" instead. Now, the parents *have* to go to the same movie, which cuts down on a lot of this BS.

When I take my son to a movie, we see the same movie.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am shocked....SHOCKED....that a 68 year old person didn't like this movie.

Hey, he liked Hot Tub Time Machine.

when is Chris Jr arriving at the McCormick Place?

Bringing him on Sunday after the matinee showing of Kick-. :insane:

68? This movie is clearly targeted directly at adolescents, and I can't imagine anyone over 20 being entertained by it. It's like Hotel for Dogs with guns.

Hey, he liked Hot Tub Time Machine.

The fact that he admitted that may well be used against him in a competency hearing.

If they had included the rest of KickASS family, like Wilfred Brimley as Grandpa KickASS and Danny Glover, Walter Matthau and Lloyd Bridges as the Lieutenant KickASSES.

PS: If these guys are already dead and you think it's a burn to point that out, then suck it.

68? This movie is clearly targeted directly at adolescents, and I can't imagine anyone over 20 being entertained by it. It's like Hotel for Dogs with guns.

What if you crossed the two? Hotel for Wannabe Superhero Dogs.

Brilliant! :idea:

True, which is why a 68 year old reviewer's opinion of the film might not be the most accurate gauge of content.

It's certainly aimed at 20 and under, and meant to shock 40 and under, and quite likely meant to annoy 40 and over.

If they had included the rest of KickASS family, like Wilfred Brimley as Grandpa KickASS and Danny Glover, Walter Matthau and Lloyd Bridges as the Lieutenant KickASSES.

PS: If these guys are already dead and you think it's a burn to point that out, then suck it.

I believe Brimley & Glover are still kicking spoon, the others are merely kicked.