• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: Showcase 23

32 posts in this topic

Are you guys sure? I bought this as a Fine from a LCS that I trusted with grading. I thought I got a good deal. These responses have cast that into doubt now. Any other opinions on this one?

Not even a remote chance at F

VG+ at best.

Man, this sucks. This is the worst buy I've made yet. Even worse than the dealings I've had with Silver Acre and Quicksilver! What is it with dealers in this country?

generally comic stores dont pay attention to grading.

they usually just qickly look over the front cover and give a grade .

best thing to do is look through all the posts in this forum, and teach yourself how to grade more accurately.

good luck

best thing to do is look through all the posts in this forum, and teach yourself how to grade more accurately.

good luck

The thing is, though, I traded in several other comics for SC 23 and watched them grade each one. They checked the front cover, back cover and the interior pages. On their website, they mention notable defects and restoration on their comics. So, why would they lie about this one?

This experience has ended my vintage purchases from brick and mortar stores. From now on, all raw comics I buy will be from this forum or eBay listings from members of this forum. Such a shame.

good luck

, why would they lie about this one?

unfortunately, because it guides $266 in VG and $400 in F

im betting u paid around $ 350 or so

unfortunately, because it guides $266 in VG and $400 in F

im betting u paid around $ 350 or so

I paid $369 for it although $292 of that was covered by the comics I traded in so I only really paid $77 for SC 23.

This comic was added to their website catalogue in December 2008, months before the movie hype began and it was the exact same price and grade. Here is the website description: Very minor fine creasing at edges and spine does not break cover colour or detract from the appeal of this exceptional copy. Approx 1/3rd down right cover edge a flaw in the paper has torn slightly (about 1/8th“, but again this does not mar the comic’s visual quality. Outstanding interior page quality. Featured in our cover gallery.

To see this actual comic, follow this link: CG_showcase23.jpg There's definitely something fishy about this.

yowza...I would have a hard time buying a raw book at almost full guide price but that is me. I think they may be guilty of overgrading but sadly that is a norm with most people and dealers right? thus the popularity of CGC and even with CGC, we disagree with the grade in the slabs in many occasions.

yowza...I would have a hard time buying a raw book at almost full guide price but that is me. I think they may be guilty of overgrading but sadly that is a norm with most people and dealers right? thus the popularity of CGC and even with CGC, we disagree with the grade in the slabs in many occasions.

Yeah, it's a shame that these guys seemed to have gone down that road too. I posted a couple of other books I bought from them in the PGM forum recently and the consensus was that they were mostly on target with their grading. That post was a test to see if I should take a chance on their more expensive stuff and, unfortunately, it was a gamble that I lost.

4.5 to me. A little too much edge creasing and over-all surface wear ( scratches) for me to say 5.0. The foxing on the back bothers me most on this book. It really isnt a bad looking book though.

DRX

I would have trouble calling this a Fine from the scan, but the scan was gigantic and overemphasized the flaws. I don't think 5.0 or even 5.5 is out of the question, with the biggest problems being the creasing in the upper right front and the foxing.

Looks a lot better in a smaller scan...

Showcase23frontcover.jpg