• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you excel?

138 posts in this topic

The pics are truly impressive Cal, but I am moved to ask why ? Does your collection have a definable goal (you want 1000 copies ? you want every copy ? every high grade copy ? what ?). Do you find that this area interferes with your collecting as a whole, either financially or maybe just in terms of storage space ? What is it about this issue that is so special to you ? Are there any others books that you would like to collect so completely ?

I find his quest to have this many copies of this book strange insane.gif, but folks--there is no right or wrong to comic collecting. Each of us have our own unique vision or interest and technically, we only have to answer to ourselves (hi, wife!) hi.gif

I'm sure folks out there are asking--why do you collect horror books, the return is not as good as ASM or superheros, 893blahblah.gif Well, that's what I like-deal with it.

So, why the heck are you grabbing every copy in sight dude? confused-smiley-013.gif

I-S-1-004.jpg

This is not too good of a pik so I will get some better ones tomorrow.

I-S-1-009.jpg

And I might take some extra time to count what I have left anyway.

I-S-1-011.jpg

I love it! And think they are grand! I mean really, whatever floats your boat! Is it a bit compulsive? Yes. But as far as I know, he hasn't broken any "rules" of comic collecting. Very very cool photos.

I would love to hear your thought process behind this collection though. 893whatthe.gif

LIttle Lulu, Dell Four Colors, Early Looney Tunes and just starting to get into Golden Age war related covers.

I tend to by VG range raw issues and there are MANY collectors out there with better collections of what I want then I have wink.gif

Mainly Classic Silver Age stuf.. TTA , TOS, JIM , Avengers,

I am all over the board.. not near completing any set yet, TOS is my best set so far with many high grades.

My current way of collecting is purely selfish.. I want as many decent books as I can get..

Rather then just 4 or 5 killer high grade keys.

I still love to take them out, look at um, and read the ones I feel safe handling.

Just a poor slob that has an expensive hobby..

Zeman

Out of curiosity, what's the average grade of the first 50 issues or so?

The first fifty issues of House Of Mystery are much better than I expected. Richie Muchin bought a run of 1 to 35 and offered me to upgrade any I wanted, and out of the whole lot, I only needed to upgrade 6 and 7. I checked all the rest and I was very satisfied with them. My 43 isn't great but he didn't have a spare of that, but it's passable anyway.

Overall the average is probably around fine. Some higher, some lower.

All the later issues from the 1970s onwards are the copies I bought when they were new, so VF/NM in most cases

You could go and delete your posts. Sort of like doubling back to take the high road.

A very good and well-intentioned piece of advice which I thought long and hard about, decided it was right on the money, and so I have gone back and done exactly that.

Currently its DC Adams covers. My goal is to get every DC Adams Horror/Batman/Western cover above 9.0

I've had other goals in the past. One fun goal was getting the highest known copy of every LB Cole Catman cover. Came close on that one.

Good question...

1. Metal Men-have all appearances no matter how small through 2001

2. Legion of Super-Heroes-1970's and 80's-all appearances in that time frame

3. Marvel Bronze-age titles-almost all non-reprint titles in that era

4. Golden-age one-shot publishers-only missing the Secret Voice

5. Whitman variants both Marvel and DC-not going for a complete set as yet but I have done some in-depth research on both.

Those are all tough, but I never did locate a copy above VF for Catman 32.

I was on a search for all the Miles Highs. I located and bought a few. Found the 26a Yellow cover (NM+), 27(VF seller wasn't sure), and 28(NM+ ). Owned a VF/NM 29 an a few lower grade copies of 30 through 32. Hard to say the toughest to find in grade, maybe the last issue 32 above VF. 27 seemed to be tough above VF also. 28 and 29 seemed to be in the most demand. Sadly I sold them years back when I was in need of some cash.

1) Marvel BA Horror(WBN,TOD,Man-Thing,Ghost Rider,Monster of Frankenstein) and HG Marvel Giant Size-have the full runs, and I cull out the lower grade stuff when I can upgrade.

2) Not for sure, but I would put my HG Giant Size up against any other collection.

ps-that includes all the Marvel Spotlight and Adventure into Fear acclaim.gif

Has any title in comicdom been butcherd more than that one, and there is even a Man-Thing issue in either the vol 1 series or the GS, where Stan Lee says..."and dare I say..a Giant Size Man-Thing!!!" Where some spell has made Manny grow into a giant..I'll have to dig that out some day and scan it for the board. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I was wondering:

1. What you excel in eg. Genre, title, publisher etc. ?

2. Do you think you are one of the biggest collectors in that area?

Danny

1. Not really a genre, but I seem to excel at the Signature series books.

2. I think it is safe to say I have the second largest collection (behind Paradise Comics) of SS books.