• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer 50 - Printing Error or Variant?

9 posts in this topic

Are the surfaces where the silvery stuff used to be scratched looking or smooth. How about the remaining silver foil, does it look scratched up? If it's smooth I'd expect it's a printing error or incomplete bonding of the shiny stuff to the paper.

Most of the foil books I see if they have noticeable wear it looks like someone took medium grit sandpaper to the shiny surfaces

Dave H

Are the surfaces where the silvery stuff used to be scratched looking or smooth. How about the remaining silver foil, does it look scratched up? If it's smooth I'd expect it's a printing error or incomplete bonding of the shiny stuff to the paper.

Most of the foil books I see if they have noticeable wear it looks like someone took medium grit sandpaper to the shiny surfaces

Dave H

Hmmm.

The silver is "splotchy" but not scratched up. There are traces of silver foil around the edge of the surfboard though. The silver is "pocketed" or pockmarked.. but otherwise smooth.

I don't know if the silver can just be rubbed off. I might have to try that on a normal copy.

Clearly not the same kind of printing problem as the Platinum Bloodshot 0 editions though.

I have to say that IMO, what does it matter?

printng errors in comics rarely have the cachet that they do in other collectibles like cards and stamps...

It probably matters little in the grand scheme of things... However, printing errors DO show up on the CGC label.

Some Harbinger 1-6 issues have blank coupons and are designated as such on the CGC label.

The Bloodshot Platinum 0's with a test print run of 25 copies sell in the hundreds of dollars.

Some people here collect double or triple covers (also printing errors.)

yure right... I should have said "except for multiple covers" which are always nice to have. But foil mishaps, or flopped printing plates?? I saw a Cerebus phonebook with the cover glued on backwards/upside down. It was cool, but not worth a premium of any kind... I suppose if it could be slabbed it might warrant a note on the label, but...

silver foil rubbed off...I thought it was a latter printing, but the 2nd came without the silver and the third rpinting was an orange/gold matte/non foil where the silver would have been

Came across another one in another local store.. so this is probably pretty common (or this area got a bad batch.)

This one is offset by about half an inch and missing most of the foil. Just an FYI.

SS50-printing-error-2.jpg