• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May CLINK auctions

68 posts in this topic

Looks like the edge of the cover got wedged between the top/bottom well and pulled away as the book shifted inside the well. You can see another small Marvel tear next to "has", so I assume the dislodged piece started out as a small Marvel tear which is now a full-blown Marvel chip. Since CGC doesn't downgrade much for chipping, I'm not sure what the effect on grade would be. Have you seen chips like this out on 8.0+ early SA Marvels?

Not on 8.0 and up books, no. Highest I can remember off-hand is the Pacific Coast AF15 CGC 6.5 that's missing multiple chips off the right side. This one is far better than that, so 7.0/7.5 doesn't seem out of the question given that the rest of the book looks so nice.

I'd say that 7.5 is a reasonable grade for this book based on what I have seen from CGC.

I owned the WM JIM #90 which was a 9.4 book with one missing chip (about half this size) and it was graded a CGC 8.0

Yup. 8.0 is the magic grade for a chip half that size.

Looks like the edge of the cover got wedged between the top/bottom well and pulled away as the book shifted inside the well. You can see another small Marvel tear next to "has", so I assume the dislodged piece started out as a small Marvel tear which is now a full-blown Marvel chip. Since CGC doesn't downgrade much for chipping, I'm not sure what the effect on grade would be. Have you seen chips like this out on 8.0+ early SA Marvels?
Is it possible that the piece was seperated before it was slabbed and CGC included the piece in the slab?

Possibly...I've had CGC call me to tell me they were worried about a chip that was hanging by a thread detaching in the slab and asking me if I wanted them to proceed. I told 'em to proceed, and fortunately the chip is still attached! :acclaim:

I suppose that if they received a book with a chip already detached, they would include the chipped piece in the slab?

However, in this case it definitely looks like that chip is "stuck" in the well seam. :(

Is it possible that the piece was seperated before it was slabbed and CGC included the piece in the slab?

Doubt it...if they stick a chip in there, it'll look like the slab might have caused it or that the grade is now lower than the slab indicates such as we're currently speculating. I know I wouldn't stick it in there if I were them.

I'm looking forward to selling a couple of books in this auction It will be my first time selling tthrough any of the auction houses.. In trade, I hope to pick up a few nice Actions. :wishluck:

good luck Mike! (thumbs u

I'm looking forward to selling a couple of books in this auction It will be my first time selling tthrough any of the auction houses.. In trade, I hope to pick up a few nice Actions. :wishluck:

good luck Mike! (thumbs u

Thanks Alton!

A couple years ago I listed about 10 books in the regular Comic Book Exchange and I shipped all the books to Clink up front. All of them eventually sold but one I had changed my mind about and delisted. Apparently I forgot about it until they recently called me to say they had the book but there was no listing. Kudos to Clink for noticing this and contacting me. I am going to list this book in the May Focused Auction, my first book ever in an auction.

Yup, that happened with the Western Penn Flash 125. The tip of the top right corner, which was apparently either deeply creased or slightly torn, got caught in the well. At some point as the book was jostled in the slab the book moved downward while the tip stayed in place stuck in the well.