• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How would you handle this ebay situation?

102 posts in this topic

I won a book - a 12 cent Spidey, though thats not particulary germaine to the discussion.

The book was described as being in really nice shape, with no tears and in generally fine shape. There was a scan that showed the same.

When I got the book, the cover was much darker then on the scan and the pages were severly tanned, almost to being brittle.

I wrote to the seller, whose listing stated no refunds, no exchanges, and told him he should have listed the book as being tan and that I didn't appreciate his brightening the cover in the scan.

He responded by apologizing, refunding my money and telling me to keep the book.

What feedback would you leave?

I won a book - a 12 cent Spidey, though thats not particulary germaine to the discussion.

The book was described as being in really nice shape, with no tears and in generally fine shape. There was a scan that showed the same.

When I got the book, the cover was much darker then on the scan and the pages were severly tanned, almost to being brittle.

I wrote to the seller, whose listing stated no refunds, no exchanges, and told him he should have listed the book as being tan and that I didn't appreciate his brightening the cover in the scan.

He responded by apologizing, refunding my money and telling me to keep the book.

That's a tough one. Certainly not a negative, but I can see how some would want to advise others of the poor description. Does the seller deal a lot of books? How's the feedback now?

i have had several issues like this on ebay. its a tough one because how many people get that book and just dont do anything. they feel that it isnt worth the hassle. so those people are the ones that really get taken by people who photo shop or change the pics they have posted of the item. i guess if you leave negative or neutral they could then avoid it. in your case what i might do is leave positive feedback because he has made everything right. but leave positive and explain the corrected issue. that way you are not killing the sellers feedback but you are also giving buyers food for though on this seller.

Definetly would not give any negative feedback. He did not have to refund as he said no refunds BUT he also listed a misleading and incorrect auction. I think three options.

1. no feedback. You got your money back and he does not want the book back, its over . move on

2. Neutral feedback explaining the situation .

3. Positive feedback . Mentioning the situation. pointing out to others his auctions do not reflect the actual book but he was profesional about it and resolved the issue.

If he does not have any other negatives and this does not look like a trend I would choose #1 and just move on. Honest mistake . no need to punish him and hurt his ebay status.

If its a trend and he seems to be doing this to alot of folks then its #2.

I would only give him #3 if it seems it was completley an error and he really did not try to decieve.But you sound like you think it was not the case as he lightened the picture.

( my opinion ) , Me I would chose #1 without knowing any more info .Its done and over. Its over , take the positive and move on. Only you can decide this.

Might be a good idea to post the auction so we can have a look and see what the auction looked like,

Glowing positive feedback about the seller's professionalism, but noting that there was a problem.

This is what I do:

"VERY professional seller, worked out serious problem to my satisfaction."

Then give 3 stars for "as described", and 5 stars on the rest.

That way, people who bother to read know there was a problem, but also that the seller handled it fairly. The fact that he apologized and refunded your money without further hassle pretty much ends any thought of non-positive feedback from me.

I'd also offer what YOU think is a realitic price for the book (even if it's less than the cost of shipping) and send it.

If I bought something for $20, but I would only pay $3-$4 for that item in person, that's what I would send (even if the S&H was more.) I don't want to be the recipient of any unjust enrichment.

(and no, I'm not so naive as to not realize that this is how lots of scammers work, but the fact that he told you to KEEP the item, rather than sending it back to sell to some OTHER sucker, tells me he's not of the Robojo Method of eBay Sales School.)

Glowing positive feedback about the seller's professionalism, but noting that there was a problem.

This is what I do:

"VERY professional seller, worked out serious problem to my satisfaction."

Then give 3 stars for "as described", and 5 stars on the rest.

That way, people who bother to read know there was a problem, but also that the seller handled it fairly. The fact that he apologized and refunded your money without further hassle pretty much ends any thought of non-positive feedback from me.

I'd also offer what YOU think is a realitic price for the book (even if it's less than the cost of shipping) and send it.

If I bought something for $20, but I would only pay $3-$4 for that item in person, that's what I would send (even if the S&H was more.) I don't want to be the recipient of any unjust enrichment.

(thumbs u

As others have stated I would defiantly leave them positive feedback. After all you ended up getting a free book because of his mistake.

But I would note it.

Something like "Great professional seller, book was not accurately described but seller took care of the problem promptly. A+"

Sounds like opinions are split between Leave NO feedback and Positive with a mention of what happened. Again would love to see there auctions and there feedback before I say which one is best . thats key in my opinion.

I get in this situation all the time,...but truth is the seller did take care of the problem,...keep in mind that chances are he was not intentionally trying to alter the scan,...I would leave no feed back at all,...

...Whenever i want to leave negative feedback I always wait a day to cool off and look at the issue with a fresh mind,...last week I was furious that some guy on ebay sent me a book that was secured from the mylar to a piece of cardboard with duct tape,...I was so furious at the struggle I had to get the book free that I swore I was going to neg him for being a shipping ',...but then I cooled off and let it slide,....plus it was a smoking copy of Dobie Gillis that I've been looking for for years so i counted my blessings,... :cloud9:

Seller has 100% feedback with over 7500 items sold. Scrolling down the feedbacks,I do see some positives that say things like- cover was yellower than expected, book was not as nice as pictured, ect, ect.

Seller was mlcomics, out of Colorado.

I'm thinking of sending him a birthday gift via PP personal of about half the final cost.

Okay. The seller has 6 negatives and 16 neutrals over their entire history. Top-rated seller (for what that's worth). Looks like they sell a fair number of books.

I would still concur with RMA's comments. Leave positive feedback (perhaps mention the tan pages not being mentioned in the description). The 3-star for description would be apt as RMA mentioned as well.

Sounds like opinions are split between Leave NO feedback and Positive with a mention of what happened. Again would love to see there auctions and there feedback before I say which one is best . thats key in my opinion.

I can understand leaving no feedback, but for me, if someone just bends over backwards to fix their error, and gives you the item for free in the process, how can you not leave them positive feedback?

If all eBay sellers had done that over the years, I'd be flipping cartwheels of joy. 95% of the time there's an issue with an item caused by the seller (as opposed to damage to well packed items), there's always a fight. 95% of the time. No matter how professional, polite, and courteous I am, I almost always get hostile, defensive sellers trying to claim it's not their fault in some way, or that I'm trying to scam them, which absolutely infuriates me.

So when a seller does this...and I think it's happened to me maybe three times in 12 years....I'm ECSTATIC. Jumping for joy. Can't leave a positive fast enough.

I would agree with RMA, and add an email to the seller telling him to turn the brightness setting on his scanner down (given his response so far, and the other feedback he has received regarding "not as white as expected", it sounds like an honest, albeit on-going, mistake).

IMO it all depends on if you are happy with the end result.

If u are, then leave positive feed back, if your not, then leave whatever feedback u want, because in the end its all about customer satisfaction.