• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

should WHITMAN variants be worth more?

35 posts in this topic

i'd think that if there were any major keys that were printed on both whitman and regular versions we may be having a different discussion. would star wars #1 be considered, guess not. but if hulk 181/gsx/etc had whitman variants...

btw i DO collect the DC whitmans for no good reason at all except that it's a fun non serious side collection.

Absolutley agree . I collect bronze age. Spent years finding some 35 cent variants BUT I ( and most guys i know in the hobby) could care less about whitman variants. Nothign special about them in my opinion BUT and a huge ,...BUT if there was a key like Hulk 181 that had a whitman variant it would be worth a ton and the trickle down to other whitman variants would happen. But this is not the case and whitmans are what they are a cool collectible but not something of any value to most . They have been around for years. if they were going to be worth more it would have happened by now. Market sets price and value. not what people think something should be worth.

i'd think that if there were any major keys that were printed on both whitman and regular versions we may be having a different discussion. would star wars #1 be considered, guess not. but if hulk 181/gsx/etc had whitman variants...

btw i DO collect the DC whitmans for no good reason at all except that it's a fun non serious side collection.

:applause: Hurrray, another DC Whitman collector! So there are TWO of us now! :whee:

I have 2 on the top ten rarest Whitman's, that makes me happy haha. I have the Popeye and the Battle of the Planets issues. I had them since I was a kid, bought them myslef :applause:

I will do one tonight with it out of the bag, getting some funky shadows and glare on this one. It is a mid grade but it presents well, much better then this picture shows. Like I said I will try and replace it tonight. The BOTP is also hard to find, as far as I remember I think it is list in the top 10 hardest whitmans to find with the Popeye in at #3 on that list.

comicsapr2010006.jpg

Nope Newfoundland.

I was shocked to see that it was listed as rare especially since I had it since I was a kid. It is a fun issue, as a kid I collected these sort of books more so then the super hero stuff (except Super Goof haha). I love the Whitman and Gold Key stuff, great books and usually available at a bargain price compared to how little of it is available.

any thoughts or comments, the blank box looks odd:

thor271.jpg

Perfect for writing your name in.

I'm picky on these. I prefer books Newsstand books until it goes to the Spidey head in the corner (sometime in early '80, then I prefer direct. I don't think the Whitmans present as well, but I think the Marvel directs present better than the newsstands. I dunno I'm a weirdo.