• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver age comics in NY

18 posts in this topic

:hi:

...i will be in New-York at the end of May.

The last time it was in 2000, and i remember visiting the Midtown Comics shop.

Unfortunately, i also remember the lack of silver age comics.

So, where can i find them in NY ?

Thanks for your help.

David

There is a store in Astoria, Queens in NYC called Silver Age Comics. You can take the subway from Manhattan and get there in about 30 minutes.

They have a website and I believe also set up a booth at SDCC.

Cheers!

N.

I disagree with the previous thread about Time Machine's SA back issues mainly being "low grade". While that's true of any back issue selection (low grade is simply a lot more common than high grade, should he throw them out?), but he certainly has a decent selection of nice looking books, VF, etc. Does he have ASM 1 - 50 up on the wall in NM? Nope. Does any store? Not that I'm aware of.

St. Marks is kind of dingy and very over priced.

Really, it's Midtown for new stuff and trades and Metro for the GA/SA goodies. I like Time Machine but don't understand the fuss about it, ditto Jim Hanley's.

For a little while there was a Silver Age Comics outpost on 8th St. near 6th Ave that had a very interesting selection of wall books. GA Superman and Batman all the way up to the predictable Marvel SA stuff. My understanding is they were involved with some questionable business dealings, but the stuff they had was good and well priced, I bought a lot of stuff from them when I was in college at NYU.

Really, it's Midtown for new stuff and trades and Metro for the GA/SA goodies. I like Time Machine but don't understand the fuss about it, ditto Jim Hanley's.

------

metro isn't really a "comic shop." you have to make an appointment. i don't think they just let you wander around flipping through their boxes of treasure, at least they never did when I've picked stuff up from there (as much as I would have liked to). don't you have to have specific stuff you want to look at and tell them in advance?

as for time machine, it's just a good old fashion shop, the kind you just don't see much anymore. does it have a vast selection? no. my guess is that they have maybe 20-25 long boxes worth of vintage SA and BA material out in the bins and some neat stuff up on the wall, they have another 30 or 40 long boxes of dollar books and another 40-50 boxes worth of CA and more recent material in bags and boards that they sell at some sort of discount off opg. and then they have a bunch of other weird stuff. would you see vastly more stuff at a convention? absopositutely. plus, roger's a good guy and is willing to negotiate. is it a better deal than what you get here from the right sellers or what you might luck into on ebay? maybe not.

also, roger only takes cash, no CCs.

I had posted this link before and it wasn't working this morning but appears to be up now. The article is about comics shops in NYC.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19069

Plus it has pictures!

Jean, thanks for this! (thumbs u

Crazy... I could have written this article. I was going to the Greenwich Village comic shops the same time the author was, and was briefly working at The Time Machine the same summer he says he met Roger (1987). I am actually wondering if I knew this fellow at some point.

I had posted this link before and it wasn't working this morning but appears to be up now. The article is about comics shops in NYC.

Plus it has pictures!

Crazy... I could have written this article. I was going to the Greenwich Village comic shops the same time the author was, and was briefly working at The Time Machine the same summer he says he met Roger (1987). I am actually wondering if I knew this fellow at some point.

It's a small world so who knows.

I disagree with the previous thread about Time Machine's SA back issues mainly being "low grade". While that's true of any back issue selection (low grade is simply a lot more common than high grade, should he throw them out?), but he certainly has a decent selection of nice looking books, VF, etc. Does he have ASM 1 - 50 up on the wall in NM? Nope. Does any store? Not that I'm aware of.

Time Machine is a great store.. unlike any other in NYC. Great selection of comics (old and new), magazines, and undergrounds. Even has some vintage toys and novelty items -- I picked up a cool 1940s Captain Marvel flying airplane punch-out toy there.

My only gripe is that the owner chain smokes behind the register. I can only stay in the shop for about 5 minutes before my eyes start to burn and I have to leave for fresh air. The comic books, unfortunately, cannot leave for fresh air.

Plus it has pictures!

Maybe you DID write the article and this is one of those amnesia-explains-it-all threads.

They happen all the time!

:kidaround:

Time Machine is a great store.. unlike any other in NYC. Great selection of comics (old and new), magazines, and undergrounds. Even has some vintage toys and novelty items -- I picked up a cool 1940s Captain Marvel flying airplane punch-out toy there.

My only gripe is that the owner chain smokes behind the register. I can only stay in the shop for about 5 minutes before my eyes start to burn and I have to leave for fresh air. The comic books, unfortunately, cannot leave for fresh air.

last time i was in there he told me he had quit smoking and was apologizing to me if he had ever smoked in my presence.

last time i was in there he told me he had quit smoking and was apologizing to me if he had ever smoked in my presence.

That's good to hear. When was that? Last time I went in was about a year ago.. and he was smoking then.

That's good to hear. When was that? Last time I went in was about a year ago.. and he was smoking then.

I dunno, within the last 6 months I think. He was probably more adament about it because I was there with my kid, though he said he would never smoke when kids were in there he acknowledged the place still had it in the air when they came in. with that said, i guess the place is big enough and has enough ventilation that the comics didn't smell of ciggies.